Living together - Living in sin?

by Rosey 17 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I lived with my hubby for a year before we got married...this December will be our 17th wedding anniversary.

• mouthy
    mouthy

How does everyone else feel about it. Do you feel it is "sinful"?
    Have you been judged by others? Have your opinions changed?

My belief is if you love some one & live together it is NOT my business BUTIf you believe the Bibles view it says" It is better not to vow & never pay"
    When you lived with your mate. You didnt KNOW for sure it would last
    but after living with him, you knew more about him/her/& decided you would
    like to make that vow.In MY opinion I think that was a very wonderful decission
    If" Love never fails" then in my view if you truly love each other , It will last
    AS LONG AS A RELIGIOUS "LEADER" dont interfere & tell you what HE/SHE
    thinks you should do...Tell em to do as scripture says...
    1st Thess 4:11" Make it your ambition to lead a quite life,
    to mind your own business & to work with your hands,""""

Good advice in my mind.....

1st Thess 4:11" Make it your ambition to lead a quite life,to mind your own business & to work with your hands,

• lalaa
    lalaa

My boyfriend and I have been living together for almost 4 years. We are both faders and EVERYONE knows that we live together. His Pioneer mother hates me because I'm not an active sister(or ass kisser), my mom is df'd, and blames me for her son leaving the truth(He left a year before we met). I don't feel like we are living in sin. We love eachother and get along. Marriage is in our future, but not now. I don't judge anyone that lives with their bf/gf. I actually feel sorry for the people that wait till their married to live with eachother.

Screw what other people think!

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

The relationship is Important and respect within that relationship is Important.

I don't think there's anything wrong with living together.

I think all couples planning to marry should live together first. I don't think you really get to know somebody until you live with them.

I agree with this.

My first Husband was so bad he tried to kill me. I lived with PEC for 15 years before I got married,

I didn't want to have another bad Marriage.

I'm very happy with PEC, he is a good man.

• Robdar
    Robdar

By your post, it seems to me that you are the one hung up about it. I mean, you've been married for 5 years now. Why all the ruminations at this late date?

I don't understand why you are still worried about what other people think. You are a grown woman with a right to make your own decisions. Marriage is nothing but a state sanctioned, sexual and legal agreement that can be very expensive to get out of.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I don't think anyone should get married. It's a bizarre institution. But, if it feels good to you, it's none of my business! I think most of the rules about marriage and family come from religions, and religions are generally destructive.

I agree that the concept of "sin" is a control mechanism. The JWs define sin as missing the mark. I don't think that's a good definition at all. Sin ought to be defined by the harm it does to others. Living together without being married doesn't usually harm anyone. The harm comes from judgement and gossip, which go hand in hand with religion! Religion is a sin, I don't think living together is a sin.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

Hortensia---- We miss you, glad you are back.

Hug.jpg Hug image by yathink6599

• Rosey
    Rosey

Thanks for everyone's comments.....

Robdar......sorry if my posts made you think it was something I was hung up on.....actually to the contrary I have no care as to whether other people agree with my decisions or not......

The reason I made the post was more out of curiosity........I recently met up with and spoke to some newly ex-jw's that I grew up with and so the messageboards called to me as they do every couple of years or so..........the topic was more one that I thought might be of interest and draw some comments from people.

I found that when I left the borg at first I had terrible nightmares......quite horrific ones.......and when I came on the ex-jw sites and started talking to people who understood what being a jw and ex-jw was all about the nightmares went away. I haven't had any of those nightmares for many years now but every so often I maybe get a chap at the door from jw's or something drags me back to the boards for a blether. I think I may have to stop shortly though as I tend to be quite compulsive with things like this and so after I have my blether about whatever pops into my head I tend to disappear from the boards again.

I hope that answers any concerns you may have. I've always been quite fond of playing devil's advocate and stirring things up a little.

Regards

Rose x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit