Andersonsinfo question: Who wrote them?

by TheOldHippie 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Yep, Pevy was in the Philippines and there again I goofed. I knew the country name started with a "P" but all that came to mind was Panama. I think I should have stayed in bed this morning.

Interesting story Nark. Oh, by the way, Hillary Step lost his beloved wife recently. I'm not sure that he would want me to tell everyone, but he was so beloved on this board that I felt those who knew him would want to know.l

If anybody wants to see what Pevy looks and sounds like, go to WT's media sight and Bob is on a short video explaining a bit about WT's policies on child abuse.

I was told Bob Pevy taught himself Bible Greek and also Hebrew when he was in the Philippines. He's was the next best thing to an expert at Bethel. If I had any questions relating to those languages, I'd go see Bob.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have kind wishes for Hillary Step should he be reading this.

• besty
    besty

care to post your earlier link Nark?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Barbara,

I am very sorry to hear that. Please tell him my sympathy if you are in touch...

besty,

I tried to find it and can't (it was not a thread of mine). It was a detail actually -- a commentary of Galatians 4 about the allegory of Sarah and Hagar, which the text interprets as covenants; the article flatly opposed what the text plainly said (arguing that those women did not mean covenants but organisations) without ever quoting the sentence it formally contradicted (even to explain it away). To me it was a mistake, the author had simply overlooked the passage which ruined his argument. So (as we were working on a draft for simultaneous publication) I suggested we should ask about it before the article was published in English. The brother in charge of the translation dept. agreed and transmitted my request to the Branch Committee. But what I had not noticed (because I never really cared for that) were the initials of the author: FWF (Frederick W. Franz). This was not lost on the Branch Committee. They literally panicked at the idea of questioning a Freddy Franz paper. So Leonard came to my office and explained to me in a highly convoluted way that it was better not to ask, just keep the translation vague enough... (which of course did not solve the problem!). A couple of weeks later I was discharged from translating the Watchtower... :)

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi all; a question for Barbara: I was under the impression that the Insight volumes were published in part to rehabilitate the tarnished image of the Aid book once word spread that Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap, etc. figured significantly in the latter's production.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Most sincere condolences to HillaryStep for the loss of his wife.

Bonsoir Narkissos, so you knew Bro. Leonard ? He looked like a decent man, quite british in his manners. I remember one of his talks at Colombes, about Micah 2:12. He must be dead by now I suppose.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

aligot,

I was not very close to him because he was in Boulogne and I was in Louviers, but he was quite friendly to me down to this episode (included, actually).

His coquetterie was a kind of legend among French witnesses, and in Bethel in particular; he spent most of his life in France and cultivated his British accent jealously, while insisting on being called by his first name as if it were his patronym, even on assembly programs (S. LĂ©onard), not to sound foreign. Most JWs never knew his real name was Smith.

• Scott77
    Scott77

when I candidly suggested to ask Brooklyn about what I felt was an impossible statement

in a Fred Franz Watchtower article (as I have told before).

(Narkissos).

Narkissos,

Please, eloborate. Please, what was that statement?

Thanks

Scott77

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Narkissos I have read you relate the story a few times but I can only easily find the first instance.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/62893/1/Keeping-up-with-new-light

Your memory is improving, ("don't remember the subject") as is your English ("I was discharged of the Watchtower") which is now better than many of us native speakers.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

"I was discharged of the Watchtower" turns out to be good English actually. It's my own language abilities that are lacking as usual. I took it to be a clumsy way of saying you were discharged from Bethel, when really I think it means you just stopped having responsibility for translating the Watchtower.

I should have guessed Narkissos was right not me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit