why didn't they approach me?

by Denial 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Denial
    Denial

this past saturday morning, i was walking through downtown guelph ontario when i saw 3 ppl standing on corners of an intersection with what i instantly recognized to be watchtowers in their hands. while i was at an ATM, i watched them approach various strangers and i started to get excited, thinking about what i would say to them when approached. (1 middle aged woman 1 teenage girl and 1 man - interestingly, i first doubted the man was a dub because he had no jacket, blue shirt, orange tie, and had a cell phone attached to his belt - i cant imagine ever being allowed in service with a visible cellphone.)

they were approaching everyone who walked by; however, they did not try to get the attention of my friend or myself, despite me walking intentionally close towards them. i was a dub from the time i was 4 to 21. i'm now 28. my friend and i dont look like scary punks/rockers/gangstas (hehe) or troublemakers. we were laughing and drinking coffees @ 8 am on a saturday. but all 3 looked at us and decided to not approach us. there's no way they could have known i used to be a dub because i lived and grew up in another city.

i wonder what they were thinking....that we're ignorant frat dudes? that 2 young men would be confrontational?

too bad for them...they missed a memorable conversation.

any thoughts on why they passed me over? *insert holy spirit guidance joke here

and....i wonder what others would say if they were approached. could you suggest a short comment/reply to make to a street preaching jay-doubleyou shook up? make them go home and start researching?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You looked too happy

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Probably just the luck of the draw...

...coupled with the fact that the universe doesn't revolve around you.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Maybe they thought you were laughing at THEM.....and didn't want to take the chance of being challenged by you.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

They really don't want to talk to anyone, just counting and wasting time, imo. If they approach me I always just say I don't read cult literature and keep walking. I don't waste my time trying to talk to jdubs about their cult.

nj

• Scott77
    Scott77

Possibly, your picture might have been circulated among dubs as a warning to steer clear of us. Though still unsure, its may be still a possibility. Two years ago, I remember some dubs taking a picture of me though I did not want to confront them. I think Ex- COs like BonaFide on this Site and Ex-elders on this site may have authoritative opinion on this as they were the former control guys in change. I must admit, I continue to enjoy in a large way their insightful contributions in a way I would never have been able to had I still been in the WTS.

Scott77

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

You weren't alone. JWs prefer to corner someone who is alone.

W

• Waffles
    Waffles

It was the holy spirit protecting them from your evil apostasy IMO. The angels guided them away from you to protect their clean, undefiled hearts.

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

Personally, when we would "witness" on the corners in the city, we would always approach ones that were alone. The thought was that you had a greater chance of having a conversation with someone and "sparking" interest than if it was two or more. When people are in groups, they tend to follow other peoples direction, so if one says no, the others may say no as well even if they are interested.

• Denial
    Denial

quote: "..coupled with the fact that the universe doesn't revolve around you."

thanks for your responses. like some of you, i sometimes couldnt care less about talking to them....but like others, i sometimes wanna stir the pot.

in my home town i often see this man standing silently holding his magazines up. i have never approached him and he does not approach others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit