What was the stupidest advice you ever taken from the Kingdom Hall?

by asilentone 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• yknot
    yknot

"Wait on Jehovah"

• Vinny
    Vinny

1- New Light.

2- Before becoming an elder, and being counseled on just why I was not appointed an elder the last time they said; "you don't bring enough food to gatherings". No joke, that's what I was told.

3- When my 18 year old son (whose 33 year old mother had recently committed suicide along with his being on his own for the first time, flat broke, suicidal, drug dependency, tore his ACL in two needing immediate surgery and more), needed to move back in the house and had agreed to go to all meetings and cut off all worldy association, I was then told by my PO that I might be the one destroyed at armageddon for allowing him to move back in and that I had cut the hand of Jehovah short.

WTF

4- More "new light' in the current mags. Hurry and read.

In the end, "new light", and just, "wait on Jehovah", were the deal breakers for me regarding blood, vaccinations, organ transplants, alternative service, missed false predictions and other JW disasters/embarrassments that I had learned about just months earlier.

That was some really lame excuses/advice from so many heavies and pushed me all the way OUT.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I was 30, I got hired by the local Sheriffs Department.

The Wactower drones shamed me into quitting as soon as I got hired.

Had I stayed I would have been retired 2 years ago making more money than

i make working full time now.

They came out of the wood work and told me all kinds of bullshxt.

Its wrong to carry a gun.

You will get killed and left out of the new order.

In the past 25 years no cops have been killed in my county.

The Jw's are the George Bush's of relgion,

they rule by fear.

And the only new order is that Amerika has become a 3rd world country via Daddy Bush.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Do MORE..................

• stillin
    stillin

I don't post much here, but I have a couple of pet peeves.

First, the bullying use of the word "exemplary." I hate it. What is that supposed to mean? It's so vague and subject to abuse by the "exemplary" one using it...Second, the word "worldly." WTF? Like, noticing a good-looking girl is "worldly." I guess breathing is , too. Or rattling off a couple of lines from Van Morrison is so "worldly?" Gimme a break!

Uh-oh. Now you got me started. How about "spiritual?" There's another brow-beating word, saved for special occasions, like when comparisons are drawn between obvious polar dirparities?

I'd better stop before I reallt start to rant, but these are some of the Power Words that are use to belittle and subdue during "counseling sessions."

OK... just thought I'd get that off my chest...

• asilentone
    asilentone

I hear you, stillin. I am going to post another thread to welcome you to the board since you have not been officially welcomed here on JWD/JWN.

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

#1. I gave up an acceptance to a prestigious university in order to pioneer. Higher education=Satan's influence, and all that crap. That still chaps my hide after almost 30 years.

#2. Told the elders that I thought I might be gay. Their sage advice? Get married to one of the fine sisters. I did. After 20 years, I still wasn't straight. Go figure.

(BTW, I didn't allow the JWs to totally ruin my life. I went back to college post-JW and got my degree. Also, my wife and I raised three wonderful children together, and all 5 of us escaped from the Borg, thankfully. My ex and I are still friends.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit