Nasty lyrics in hip hop and Jamaican music where I work! What to do??

by WuzLovesDubs 17 Replies latest jw friends

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Ok...I have three teenagers, Ive heard my share of over the top hip hop rap and head banging metal music. And I pick my battles with that, and know that I cant really control what my kids listen to any more but DONT have to have it played in my car with me in it or in my house with me present. So I start the late night shift where I work, and its a totally different atmosphere there...laid back...which I really like...but with that comes everybody's choice of music to play while they work. My department is smack in the middle of this particular Sams Club...so its like 4 acres of echoey steel, and I can hear everybodys music from all corners of the place simultaneously resulting in a raucous cacaphony of unwelcome sound the entire 8 hours I am there. I am the first one to have worked that department in the night shift so they are not used to anyone being there. So...

Im a 54 year old, white, midwestern, straight as an arrow mom and Im being bombarded with lyrics from one department like "IM A M-F-ING N-AH! DONT F- WIT ME! IMA GRAB MY D-K AND SHOVE IT INYA HARD! IM FRESH OUT! IMA KEEP IT UP! M-F-M-F-M-F N- N- N ...." alllllllll night. Its not music its YELLING and ANGER and PROTEST and DRUGS and SEX and BODY PARTS and....ugh ugh uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!!!!! While in the OTHER corner of the building the MANAGER whom I noted didnt seem to notice those lyrics is playing his JAMAICAN cd on his sound system and Im hearing "I AINT NEVER SEEN A P-SSY LIKE THAT! YOUR V- SO TIGHT! IMA F-K YOU ALL NIGHT! " Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd!!!!! And all of this AT THE SAME TIME.

Im probably going to be working this shift with these people a long ass time. Theyve been doing this a long ass time and IM the NEWBIE here. So...

Do I say anything? Do I get earplugs? Do I have the right to SAY anything??? I know damn well they would NEVER play this music in front of our general manager who is a church going, bible thumping, creole speaking black man himself. Not EVER would they. In fact I noted that all the music gets turned OFF at 5am with the day shift starts coming in and THEIR manager comes in.

Help :*(

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Earplugs. And look for a job where people respect each other.

• John Doe
    John Doe

That music is inappropriate in the workplace, and you have a legitimate complaint. However, being the newbie you won't be making any friends by complaining. Is there a number you can call and remain anonymous? My company has such a number. If you don't want to get involved, I would suggest possibly getting a set of earmuff's that have a radio built in, or an ipod. That way you can choose for yourself what to listen to.

I'm surprised the management is allowing that kind of stuff to be played. I've never been in a place where that was a problem, as most people seem to have a sense of common decency.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

What JD said.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It is my opinion that this would be considered sexual harassment in a court of law.

You could always try what Matthew 18:15 suggests. If you get a negative response, you'll at least have tried to handle this in an honest, straight-forward manner.

It will be necessary to document what is happening. Perhaps a pocket digital recorder to record the sounds of the office, and to record your conversation with your coworkers and/or managers.

You can expect management to DENY, DENY, DENY, if the manure hits the ventilating oscillator. Be prepared. Start documenting the timeline and gathering evidence now.

And like Daniel-P said, you may want to seriously consider looking for new employment.

• middleman
    middleman

If they lived in Cali they would be swiftly fired...

Tuff it if you can to keep the peace, but if not tell the GM-be prepared for the backlash. I know it's a hard balance to maintain.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I did a little research here online, and apparently in Jamaica that kind of music has its own genre and its not at all unusual subject matter for them, nor shocking nor inappropriate if you are in Jamaica. They apparently have something called a slackness factor and are extremely antihomosexual. My friend whose bf is from Haiti said the islanders have pretty much little else to do than have sex so its no biggie to them. The other stuff, the rap is also a genre of music and to them it's just a style of music and picking apart what is actually being SAID in it is apparently not something they do. I swear the CD this guy plays every song on it sounds exactly like the one before it. Seriously...except for the words being different, its the same ONE note rap, the same low bass, the same drum riffs...and that makes it even more intolerable. One girl came in the other night (also black and urban herself with no husband and a baby daddy out there someplace) and she put on some slow jams that were at least tolerable. Until the last one which was a heartfelt love song called " NEVER CALL U BITCH AGAIN how sweet eh?

2PAC FEAT. TYRESE NEVER CALL U BITCH AGAIN LYRICS

• Dagney
    Dagney

Where is the supervisor?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

It would be considered a form of harassment where I work. It's on the same level as telling dirty jokes to people who don't want to hear them.

• ninja
    ninja

serves you right for being a roadie for eminem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit