10 Years Japan losses 5,400 Publishers and 638 Kingdom Halls! Why?

by Witness 007 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

88JM, you have a PM

• mP
    mP

Japanese are very isolated and proud of their culture, it prolly seems wrong to follow western thoughts when they have their own local religions or thoughts, once yu realise that 1914, armageddon etc dont come.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

88JM:

That would certainly fit in around the time possible-san mentions regarding prevalance of internet use,

I think there may be something to the Internet factor.

Over the last few months, the second highest number of hits on my articles about 607BCE have come from Japan (after the US).

mP:

Japanese are very isolated and proud of their culture,

Japanese are generally proud of their culture. But as Japan is a highly tech-savvy nation, I wouldn't say they're isolated.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Yes, mP, the Japanese are notorious for their unwillingness to adopt the thoughts and habits of the West.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can recall when, in the days of the Japanese boom, they were lauded to the skies by the WTS. The Japanese bros were so zealous, they nearly all pioneered, they were always early for the meetings and on and on. We got sick of it. The topic became a joke. Whenever something was not done right, we said "The Japanese bros would have done it........."

All of a sudden it went quiet and we stoppped hearing about them. The figures on the previous page show why....It all seems to have turned about the turn of the century, did the idea of being in the 21st Cent. make them realise that something had gone wrong???

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Mum beat me to it but I was thinking the same. They're an intelligent people. If any group of people would see through the false numerology it'd be the Japanese.

• StevenJB
    StevenJB

I do know a few foreign language congregations have been shut down.... Thai, Tagalog, English, etc.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

StevenJB,

Hello and Welcome!

We are very happy to have you with us. Make yourself at home.

Might I suggest you start a new thread and tell us a bit about yourself? In - out - fading - faded or best yet, never were/was a JW! lol

Don't be shy. It's just us.

LoisLane

• mP
    mP

Jeffro:

Japanese are generally proud of their culture. But as Japan is a highly tech-savvy nation, I wouldn't say they're isolated .

mP:

The world is becoming more connected, but Japanese generally like the Japanese way. While most nations are multicultural the opposite is true in Japan. Its almost impossible to sell foreign cars in japan, there was a story that most non japanese companies have given up. If you look at the console market, xbox and its american or western style games is a minor player. They like to do things their way is basically what im saying.

Americans are also very different from Australians, you just dont know how the other half lives and assume that all western countries are the same.

• 88JM
    88JM

Just sent this to Jeffro - wondered if anyone else might find it useful:

http://depositfiles.com/files/gjrlcxi1j

"I thought I would give it a go last night, just to see if it was even possible. It turns out it is - my scanner and OCR program can spit out an Excel table from the Yearbook. The only thing that slows the process down is when countries change from year to year - i.e. Hawaii is now included in the U.S. as of 2011.

I can compensate by adding blank rows for countries that get merged etc. which means that the same country is always on the same row number on each sheet. Sometimes I need to remember my politics and geography a bit for places like East Timor (I think they changed their name in 2012). If you're in Excel, you'll see each year is in a new sheet at the bottom.

I don't know how well you know Excel - I'm not a super-heavy user myself - but in theory you should be able to make a chart that sources data from different sheets of the document i.e. "K29" will always give you the number of congregations in Britain. Alternatively, you can just copy columns over from each sheet if you're looking for specific data.

I will see if I can work on adding more years and make it a "slow-burn" project for me. The attached spreadsheet took about 1.5 hours, but I wouldn't be able to do this much every day - I reckon I could probably do 25+ years over 6 weeks though if I chip away at it."
    http://depositfiles.com/files/gjrlcxi1j

Perhaps if they would like, someone like Cedars could help fill in the population of the "30 Other Lands" - I guess the countries might change from year to year, but hopefully the statistics can be found?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit