10 Years Japan losses 5,400 Publishers and 638 Kingdom Halls! Why?

by Witness 007 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• possible-san
    possible-san

Hi, Mr. Witness 007.

That I have to say to you first, the decrease of the number of congregations and the decrease of the number of Jehovah's Witnesses are not related.
    In Japan, the merger of congregations was encouraged by the Japan branch or the Governing Body several years ago.
    Many congregations disappeared by it.

WHY do you think people in your country are leaving the Witnesses?

This is my own opinion.

Around 1997, the Internet has spread in Japan.
    And the activities of anti-Jehovah's Witnesses prospered from that time.
    The people who looked at those websites understood that the society was telling the lie.

And blogs came into fashion also among active Jehovah's Witnesses, and people can express their view now.

While there are ex-Jehovah's Witnesses (like me) on the Internet, there is no growth in Japan in the future.

I think that the depression in current Japan and university education are not the direct cause of a decrease of the number of Jehovah's Witnesses, IMHO.
    Many of Japanese ex-Jehovah's Witnesses have not got university education.
    Moreover, an economic reason is no reason for abjuring faith.

possible
    http://godpresencewithin.blog86.fc2.com/

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Possible-san,

We really appreciate your contribution to the board. I have a few questions for you:

1 - Do the Japanese JWs practice shunning the same way that it's done in the West?

2 - Are there large family groups of JWs or are there mainly just first generation converts?

3 - How many children stay in? Here in the US, about 1/2 to 2/3rds actually leave.

I see your point regarding converts looking to the internet for information prior to moving forward with studies. I think to a large degree, that's what we're seeing here in the US, especially among the English speaking population (although I'm sure its starting to be true with the Spanish speaking population as well).

The problems facing the WTS across the globe are 1) horrible retention rate (which frankly they've always had) coupled with 2) a slowdown in new converts (which is a fairly new development). You can ignore the current JWs if your conversion rate is fast enough to make up for those leaving or being tossed out. However, now that converts have slowed down in the developed countries where the bulk of the revenues are coming from, those going out the backdoor are starting to show in the numbers.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The japanese are really strong on following the leader and being part of the herd. Whatever the reason, that mentality would be related to it.

S

• Spook
    Spook

I explained the rapid growth in some of these areas as a "Western Bias."

Some developing countries have taken to Christianity, particularly groups like JW's, partly because they get prestige in being part of a very business-like Western religion. They wear suits and ties, speak in public, carry brief cases. These are all the trappings of the Americana origins.

There is sociological research on this about why JW's are so successful with minorities in the U.S.

A lost decade of economic growth, a new sense of a modern Japan, and a quick approach to the maximum penetration of an idea in a geographically limited area are all factors to consider.

I don't think JW's will have much success in China when compared to past examples, for a variety of reasons. The age demographics, for example.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I see your point regarding converts looking to the internet for information prior to moving forward with studies. I think to a large degree, that's what we're seeing here in the US, especially among the English speaking population (although I'm sure its starting to be true with the Spanish speaking population as well).

IMO, this is why the WTS is dead set on sticking with the "apostolic tradition" of going door-to-door. Do they really want their message being seen and heard by millions of people in the West, particularly when it's so easy to say, "ooh, Jehovah's Witnesses! What colourful, informative magazines! Let me just get some more information on them from my web browser!"? Thus, keeping the JWs on a treadmill of door knocking when there's no one at home (i.e. 9am-11am Monday - Friday) or when they're too busy to take any notice (i.e. 9.30am - 11am Saturday), then there's little chance of JWs actually showing up on the average PC-hooked-up-to-the-internet-owning householder's radar.

Plus, why are they sticking with the "apostolic tradition" of going door-to-door when they've ditched the other "apostolic traditions" of, oh, I dunno, meeting in private homes and baptism at the point of conversion/belief?

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Hi possible-san. Thank you for your posts. Since you are in Japan, and as a Japanese XJW your input is much more valuable than mine. My observation was based solely on what I was told by men in the Writing Dept. who had been at Bethel from before Lloyd came from Japan to be a GB member. Barry was the overseer of Writing and was close to his "boys," as he called them. He had been their overseer for around seven years when I came into the department so I assumed that what was said about him and the Japanese was said out of knowledge.

For what it's worth, I remember how at breakfast Lloyd spoke of his fondness for the Japanese people, how zealous they were for the "truth," not lazy like Westerners. Whenever new publisher peaks or pioneer numbers were way up in Japan, we would hear about it.

Lloyd Barry was my overseer and I came to know him as a friend. He spoke Japanese and I know from our conversation that he worked closely with the Japanese branch. He loved it when busloads of Japanese came to Brooklyn Bethel on tour. Not that they always were from Japan, but sometimes from California. He usually came down from his office to meet with them in the office lobby and chat. At the time when I was at Bethel, I know that the Japanese Branch was quite wealthy for they financed the building of other branches around the world such as the one in Columbia, S. America and Lloyd was so proud of this. Remember, he was in Japan when there weren't many JWs, so he was like a proud pappa when he saw the growth. Lloyd Barry was a good man and a really sincere believer in the fantasy world of JWs. I remember him with fondness.

possible-san, if any of the things I'm saying here were not the reality in Japan, please tell me. I write only about what I observed or what I was told. I worked with so many people in Bethel from so many different departments that my head is full of lots of things that were said to me about the people we all knew at Bethel and elsewhere. We were a family and like all families, we talked about each other, but mostly in a good way. At Bethel, life is very much a closed community so what else would interest us but the people there and the work we were doing for the Witnesses around the world.

It's interesting to hear how the JW world is changing with the times. I remember discussing the Internet with a member of the Writing Dept in 1996. I was living here in Tennessee and doing outside research for the department. I wonder if that man even remembers what I said about the Internet, that it would destroy the organization if we didn't truthfully address JW issues that were being discussed on the web. He asked me if I was becoming "apostate" and I assured him I was not. He assured me that the Writing Dept. would address those issues so I was not to worry. Here it is 13 years later and I'm an "apostate" and the name JWs is being met with ridicule in advanced countries mainly because of revelations about the Witness org. on the Internet. And who would have thought back then that there would be a decrease in the numbers of super-loyal JWs in Japan because of their discoveries about the organization on the Internet. Certainly not me!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Interesting info on this thread,

purps

• JHK
    JHK

Where is the money from 638 Kingdom Hall? Is the money in the paradise?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

He asked me if I was becoming "apostate" and I assured him I was not. He assured me that the Writing Dept. would address those issues so I was not to worry. Here it is 13 years later and I'm an "apostate" and the name JWs is being met with ridicule in advanced countries mainly because of revelations about the Witness org. on the Internet. And who would have thought back then that there would be a decrease in the numbers of super-loyal JWs in Japan because of their discoveries about the organization on the Internet. Certainly not me!

And that right there is a prime example of how organizations and societies die if they refuse to change. An organization, corporation, or society must adapt and evolve to a new environment. Authoritarian power structure + policies or doctrines designed for a world that no longer exists = death and decay.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Hi, Mr. Doubting Bro.

I am not a representative of all the Japanese ex-Jehovah's Witnesses.
    So, it is my own opinion which I describe.
    OK?

When you want to ask the opinions of other Japanese people, please write to my Japanese forum.
    http://bb2.atbb.jp/strongwings/

1 - Do the Japanese JWs practice shunning the same way that it's done in the West?

It is completely the same.
    Since the Japanese are faithful, they may be severer than the U.S. on the contrary.

2 - Are there large family groups of JWs or are there mainly just first generation converts?

Many both of persons are in Japan.
    But many are housewives and those children grow up.
    (Many of their husbands are unbelievers.)
    And those children get married and their child is born.

3 - How many children stay in? Here in the US, about 1/2 to 2/3rds actually leave.

Many children leave from Jehovah's Witnesses at around 20 years old from 15 years old.
    But there are many persons who remain as Jehovah's Witnesses.
    They are marriageable ages now.

possible
    http://godpresencewithin.blog86.fc2.com/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit