70 years = 607?

by allelsefails 421 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Re: "scholar" #1704

Major breakthroughs my butt. Look, they had to keep the 1914 date at all costs. Dropping the embarrassing zero year and keeping 606 would have messed that up. Shifting the 'Jerusalem's destruction year' a year earlier meant they had to make the 70 year terminal point a year earlier too. Their chronology fell and falls way behind scholarship and bears little resemblance to the known facts.

Reniaa #1562

I had checked 3w info on it and he made a good point on the 40 years of desolation on egypt that also helped,

It's actually a non-point. There are no Bible narratives and no hard secular evidence to let us know how those 40 years were fulfilled. 3W puts forward speculation and imaginative gap-filling as an argument - which of course proves nothing in relation to the chronology of the time.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

AllTimeJeff #1620
    Meanwhile, more history books then can be found have the date as 587/586 BCE as the date of Jerusalems fall, the year off being for those use the zero year or not.

(Hope you don't mind, ATJ.) Just to clarify for any newer readers - the ambiguity as to whether Jerusalem fell in 587 or 586 derives from the Bible's dating of its fall in Nebuchadnezzar's 18th year (in one Scripture) and in his 19th year (in another Scripture). A judgment has to be made on whether the writer was using the accession year system (0-1-2-3-etc.) or non-accession year system (1-2-3-4-etc.) for counting regnal years.

In contrast, the 'zero year' refers to the Society mistakenly inserting a year 0 between 1 BC and 1 AD in their calculations. While a zero year is a necessary insertion for making astronomical calculations (so that 2 BC becomes -1 BC), it actually doesn't exist in calendrical terms - 1 AD immediately follows 1 BC.

"scholar" said:

You prove to me as to what precise year Jerusalem fell.

Skol-drinker - you have read Rodger Young's article on establishing the precise year Jerusalem fell with his decision table method, so quit playing games.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Well scholar, Billy sees that scholar still can't fill scholar's 20 year gap in ancient history. Billy still recommends that scholar go with pyramidology to establish 1914. Check the work of Prof. C. Piazzi Smyth!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

doryakii

Post 621

Your post is utter nonsense.Luke 21:24 refers to a 'trampling' that began in the past with both a present and future verbal aspect however Luke here was not referring to that literal city which of course underwent many such tramplings but the focus is on what that pictured and that was God's Kingdom which would rule at the end of those Gentile Times.

My reply; Same ol baseless assertions. I guess that is why Jesus words in Luke all indicated future. NOTHING at all indicate Luke should be combined with Dan 4.

The seven times does not refer to Nebuchadnezzer's seven years of dethronement but rather the period of time whence Go's Jingdom would once again begin to rule over mankind as it had done in the case of literal Jerusalem.

My reply: You are wrong like usual. Nothing in Daniel 4 at all indicates anything other than Nebs 7 years of shame to put him in his place.

Indeed you can have it both ways because it is the context in this case that sets the parameters of the interpretation and this has been well explained in the WT publications. If you have a better interpretaion of the book of Revelation then let us know.

The 'day' for a 'year' rule has a long tradition and as served biblical hermeneutics very well as a timeless principle so when you have a system of interpretation then you are in a position to be critical of others.

My reply: 'Day for a year" is not a "Bible rule"...it was applied to 2 prophecies where it explicitly was stated to in scripture. Our system is to let the bible soeak for itself.

The date of 607 BCE is not determined by counting backwards and this is a rather childish remark. The date is determined by the location of major historical events mentioned in the Bible with accompanying regnal data. It is rather providential that such established chronology fixes the interpretation of prophecy such as the Gentile Times ending in 1914 CE.

My reply: Wrong again young man. It is by taking the date of Babylons fall...assuming 537BCE and counting back.

Jeremiah foretold the seventy years many years prior to Neb coming against Jerusalem and the idea that it refers to the period of 609 BCE until 539 BCE is simply ridiculous and stupid because the land was not desolated nor were all the people exiled at that time You seem to be unsure about the matter because you use the expression 'most likely' which indicates your uncertainty on the matter.

My reply: Wrong again young man. Jeremiah fortetold 70 years coming against all the nations of the earth. This period began in 609BCE as Babylon came to power. You seem quite unsure about 537BCE as you use qulaifying terms as likely, probably, reasonable, etc.

Your historical revisionism does not agree with biblical history and smacks of the higher critic who has no faith or interest in prophecy.

scholar JW

609-539, as ewell as 586/7 harmonizes perfectly with the Bible...and clashes head on with WT chronology. Those celebrated WT clown who came up with this 'chronology' clash head on with the Bible.

• Mary
    Mary
    Pseudo-scholar said: One classic argument that supports the fact that Daniel 4 is an antitype and is well connected to Luke 21:24 is the simple fact that most scholars deny the fact of Neb's seven year absence from the throne. Further, there is no record of such a literal fulfillment as history in Neo-Babylonian history nor any account of in Neo-Babyloian chronology.

Oh-my-lord........Just when you think pseudo-scholar's lame assertions can't get any dumber----or more pathetic, he manages to sink to even greater depths of self-delusion. So now you're claiming that "most scholars" deny that Nebuchadnezzar went insane for 7 years?? Are these the same scholars that you assert have the date of 587 BCE wrong? Who have 'no real appreciation for prophecy, the Book of Daniel or the bible in general?' Is that whose word you are now taking at face value? Can you please give us a list of the "scholars" who deny this happened?

So, this means that such literal fulfillment did not occur according to majority opinion

As per usual, you're full of shit. Please list the "majority opinion" who support your bizarre theory, and please do not include any of your imaginary 'celebrated WT scholars' unless you're going to list their names.

so the only other meaning of the story as it appears in Daniel 4 is that it must be allegorical/methaphorical or have a anti-typical fulfillment alone.

By making such a ludicrous claim, you are going against what the "Slave Class" teaches numb-nuts. Tsk, tsk, tsk......sounds like you're running ahead of the Organization pseudo.........you're just one small step away from becoming a full blown apostate'.

SmileysSmileysSmileys

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

pseudo-scholar says: "[M]ost scholars deny the fact of Neb's seven year absence from the throne. Further, there is no record of such a literal fulfillment as history in Neo-Babylonian history nor any account of in Neo-Babyloian chronology. So, this means that such literal fulfillment did not occur according to majority opinion so the only other meaning of the story as it appears in Daniel 4 is that it must be allegorical/methaphorical or have a anti-typical fulfillment alone". This adds to his statement in his prior post that "[t]he seven times does not refer to Nebuchadnezzer's seven years of dethronement".

Notice here that he is here making an argument from authority (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority); the evidence or argumentation that leads "most scholars" to this conclusion is not mentioned, what matters to him is only that there is a "majority opinion". Now, a consensus is a good sign that the evidence is persuasive and that the claim has survived a certain (high) level of critical debate (and thus may be mentioned as an indicator of how the evidence is generally evaluated), but it is the evidence and logical argumentation that bears directly on the claim's correctness. But pseudo-scholar does not mention the actual evidence that informs scholarly opinion, other than the negative evidence that "there is no record of such a literal fulfillment as history". What pseudo-scholar doesn't let on is that scholars are not simply persuaded by an argument from absence....there is positive evidence that the story in Daniel 4 is based loosely on events from the life of Nabonidus, not Nebuchadnezzar. Those commentaries that pseudo-scholar says he is familiar with (at least those since the 1960s) discuss in detail the relationship between the Danielic story and the Verse Account of Nabonidus and the Prayer of Nabonidus from the Dead Sea Scrolls. The parallels between the latter and Daniel 4-5 are especially striking. And even the story in Daniel 5 claims that the humiliation related in ch. 4 befell the father of Belshazzar; the historical father of Belshazzar was Nabonidus, not Nebuchadnezzar. So why is pseudo-scholar silent about this evidence, even tho he accepts the consensus at face value as having implications on how to interpret the story? Could it be that they, as pseudo-scholar would put it, "smack of higher criticism", which in his mind renders an argument null and void? It is not at all dishonest to take an interpretive position critical of higher criticism, but it strikes me as quite odd to both reject higher criticism and yet accept the consensus that results from it as having a bearing on biblical interpretation.

By making such a ludicrous claim, you are going against what the "Slave Class" teaches numb-nuts. Tsk, tsk, tsk......sounds like you're running ahead of the Organization pseudo.........you're just one small step away from becoming a full blown apostate'.

Exactly right, he is suggesting something that the Society itself rejects.

*** w59 8/15 p. 506 par. 25 Part 20—"Your Will Be Done on Earth" ***

The "seven times" that literally passed over King Nebuchadnezzar during his madness at Babylon amounted to seven literal years....Nebuchadnezzar is reported to have reigned for forty-three years. So these "seven times" of insanity in between must have been seven years at the most, in his personal case. In the Holy Bible a "time" is used in places to stand for a literal year.

*** w64 12/15 p. 757 Why the Changes in World Governments Since 1914? ***

This prediction actually befell King Nebuchadnezzar one year later. At a time when Nebuchadnezzar was boasting of his accomplishments in Babylon a voice from heaven announced that the tree dream would now be fulfilled upon him. He was seized with madness such as marks the disease of lycanthropy. Instead of wanting to sit on his throne, he went out into the field to eat grass. His throne was not taken by a usurper, but was held for him by God’s power until his return after “seven times” or seven literal years.

*** w73 11/1 p. 644 The Best Time to Be Alive ***
    Babylonian records that have been unearthed provide no account of the fact that Nebuchadnezzar was mad for seven literal years, as the Bible shows to be the case. But would we expect the supporters and servants of a dictator king to record his humiliation? We cannot imagine Hitler’s historians recording Hitler’s defeats if he had returned to power as did Nebuchadnezzar at the end of his seven years' madness. Other nations also have followed the policy of "whitewashing" their rulers and governments, as we can see in the annals of ancient Egypt, Assyria and many modern countries. But the Bible gives us the true, candid, unvarnished historical record.

*** ka chap. 1 pp. 10-11 par. 8 The "Thousand Years"—Not a False Hope ***

It is understandable why what now happened was not preserved for us in the Babylonian historical records, or why any record thereof by a Babylonian chronicler was removed or destroyed. But the honest, true-to-fact prophet Daniel, who was personally implicated in the matter, was inspired to make a record of it, for our consultation more than two and a half millenniums later. The proud King Nebuchadnezzar was instantly smitten with madness—and it was not his most revered god, Marduk (or, Merodach), who smote him. It was the Almighty God who foretold this madness that smote the boastful king, the king who had destroyed the sacred temple at Jerusalem in 607 B.C.E. And, just as predicted and ordained, "seven times" literally did pass over King Nebuchadnezzar while he was insanely chewing at grass like a bull out there in a nearby field.

*** go chap. 5 pp. 81-82 par. 25 Foretelling the Time for World Rulership ***

At that time, as far as the prophetic dream is applied to Nebuchadnezzar himself, the iron and copper bands around the rootstock of the immense tree were snapped and removed. The literal "seven times" were up, and there was due a restoration of the sane king to power. Nebuchadnezzar makes record of this, as he goes on to say: "At the same time my understanding itself began to return to me, and for the dignity of my kingdom my majesty and my brightness themselves began to return to me; and for me even my high royal officers and my grandees began eagerly searching, and I was reestablished upon my own kingdom, and greatness extraordinary was added to me." (Daniel 4:36)

*** kc chap. 14 p. 133 par. 18 The King Reigns! ***

The fact that secular history gives no detailed account of Nebuchadnezzar's seven-year absence from the throne should not be surprising. Ancient records of Egypt, Assyria and Babylon are notorious for their omission of anything that might be embarrassing to the ruler, which is one reason for their not being as reliable as God’s inspired Word. It is God’s Word that assures us that the dream vision was fulfilled.

It is also interesting that the "celebrated WT scholars" have also never mentioned the evidence pertaining to Nabonidus either.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    The date of 607 BCE is not determined by counting backwards and this is a rather childish remark. The date is determined by the location of major historical events mentioned in the Bible with accompanying regnal data. It is rather providential that such established chronology fixes the interpretation of prophecy such as the Gentile Times ending in 1914 CE.

I dont appreciate being called childish, especially for stating something which is more likely and has easily-retrievable records. The date falls apart on so many levels:

1. Not only was 607 BC initially caluclated by counting backwards from the dubious date of 537, but the early Bible Students believed the dates of Jerusalem's destruction and the resettling of the city to be 606 and 536. Only when it was discovered there was no year 0 did 606 and 536 suddenly change to 607 and 537. If the events were counted forward as you say, instead of changing 606/536 to 607/537, 1914 would have been changed to 1913. 1914 was obviously the pivotal date which had to fit into the prophecy at any cost.

2. The archaeological evidence points to the Battle of Megiddo (hence Josiah's death) in 609 BC. This is from using Egyptian, Assyrian AND Babylonian records; the evidence is overwhelming. Jerusalem did not fall 2 years after Josiah's death.

3. The archaeological evidence next points to Nebuchadnezzar's reign as having started in 605 BC. These two dates are solidly supported and all other dates must be calcutlated from them. Jerusalem id not fall 2 years before Nebuchadnezzar became king.

3. 607 BC was the 18th year of Nebopolassar's reign whcih would have been about the 2nd year of the reign of King Jehoahaz of Judah. Jerusalem did not fall in either Nebopolassar or Jehoahaz's reign.

4. 537 is not specific enough. It is based on guesswork and the assumption that it took 2 years from 539 for the Israelites to walk from Babylon to Jerusalem.

5. 607 has absolutely no support. It is an assumption that the 70 years prophecy refers to the period from 537 (two unsupported dates propping each other up).

6. 1914 was maintained even when year 0 was discredited showing that 1914 not the date of the destruction of Jerusalem, was the real important date for the Watchtower. If the beginning of the "Gentile times" was such a pivotal date then the end of that period would have changed to 1913 instead of vice versa.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    "Scholar" said: One classic argument that supports the fact that Daniel 4 is an antitype and is well connected to Luke 21:24 is the simple fact that most scholars deny the fact of Neb's seven year absence from the throne. Further, there is no record of such a literal fulfillment as history in Neo-Babylonian history nor any account of in Neo-Babyloian chronology. So, this means that such literal fulfillment did not occur according to majority opinion so the only other meaning of the story as it appears in Daniel 4 is that it must be allegorical/methaphorical or have a anti-typical fulfillment alone.

Really?

There are thousands of stone tablets recording acts and decrees by Nebuchadnezzar but between 582 and 575 BC there is no record of any acts or decrees signed by Nebuchadnezzar only by his regent. Although the cause is unknown, it is obvious that there was indeed a literal seven year gap in his activity. It is likely that the writer of Daniel used this illness/madness retrospectively to suggest that it was his God who had struck the king during this time.

Wikipaedia: "A clay tablet in the British Museum (BM34113) describes Nebuchadnezzar's behaviour during this period: 'His life appeared of no value to him... then he gives an entirely different order... he does not show love to son or daughter... family and clan does not exist.' "

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"dora the destroyer" strikes again!

Methinks "scholar" has run off... to measure the pyramids. If you're still lurking, scholar, whey you go to Home Depot to prepare for the trip, you'll need to get a tapemeasure marked for "pyramid inches", not imperial inches. Oh, and the pyramid isn't metric. The metric system wasn't devised until the 18th century, in France. So don't try any phoney-baloney new-fangled metric-Julian-Gregorian mumbojumbo chronology measurements.

B the X

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

3. 607 BC was the 18th year of Nebopolassar's reign whcih would have been about the 2nd year of the reign of King Jehoahaz of Judah.

That would be Jehoiakim.

(Jehoahaz before only lasted 3 months before Necho carried him off to Egypt.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit