Jehovah Knows in Advance His People Will Fail - July 1 09 WT

by Hopscotch 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Borgia
    Borgia

To rely on deuteronomy to prove Solomon wrong = wrong. Deuteronomy came after Solomon and can therefore not be used as proof.

THe way they came clean with the law against adultery (the men that is) was by allowing more females to be in the possession of one man. If GOds law for one man one woman was clean cut.....why did Judah go to a prostitute.......

Cheers

Borgia

• blondie
    blondie

Until 1947, the WTS allowed polygamy in some congregations. It makes you realize that again the WTS was not clean in "God's eyes" in 1919.

*** yb73 pp. 166-167 Ghana ***An important point discussed at this convention was the Christian standard of monogamous marriage. Prior to 1947 a number of the brothers (not the majority by any means) were living in polygamy. The standard of Christian morality as laid down at Galatians 5:19-21 and elsewhere in the Bible was respected and they endeavored to adhere to it. However, polygamy was not clearly associated with adultery. This was largely due to the fact that in African society polygamy is just as honorable as monogamy.

Finally, the January 15, 1947, issue of TheWatchtower appeared with an excellent article on marriage. The magazine plainly stated that "plurality of wives" is not for Christians.

*** w95 9/1 p. 25 "Love Never Fails" ***I married Olabisi Fashugba in February 1941 and knew enough not to take any additional wives. But until 1947 when the missionaries came, polygamy was common in the congregations. Polygamous brothers were told that they had married more than one wife in ignorance. So if they had two or three or four or five wives, they could keep them, but they should not take any more. That was the policy we had.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What does tolerating a practice have to do with tolerating a piece of crap furniture? First, banning polygamy only creates problems where none needed to exist--my solution would be to create enough wives to go around, to accept homosexuality for those who wanted to do it, or to accept women that wanted multiple husbands to balance things off. (Or eliminate the root cause of most adultery, which is stagnation--much of which is caused when too much of what one does is what they are told to).

And yes, I have tolerated many a crap piece of furniture. The reason is that I could not afford a good piece at that time, or I had to time my purchases so the most important things would come first (it would be too much work to get it all at once, along with too many cardboard boxes and too much packaging along with the crap itself being thrown away). But, unlike a crap piece of furniture, a law does not generate garbage or require excessive expenditure in time, money, or energy to replace all at once. There has to be a better reason for it than that.

And, while they're at it, I suggest throwing out the whole Bible as a source of guidance. It is all crap, save for a few isolated pieces and lines. In fact, if I had a place full of furniture that is as bad as the Bible, it would be useless--and not serving any function whatsoever. It would be a complete waste of space to even have it at all. Good for L.L.Bean and Coatracks--not so good for me.

• sspo
    sspo

If they would struggle to obey so basic a law, how would they fare with a law against polygamy? With his perfect grasp of human nature, Jehovah saw that it was not yet the time to forbid that practice, which was already long-established in those days. Had he done so, Satan would have found a very easy means of seducing them into sin.

And what is the difference between then and now, isn't the same basic human nature the same and yet most stay away from polygamy.

It was nothing but a man made law that allowed men to enjoy sex with more than one woman,

replacing older ones with fresh ones.

• minimus
    minimus

Hmmmmmm. I thought Jehovah was more powerful than Satan. If we are tested, shouldn't we call on the name of Jehovah for salvation? Isn't Jehovah a more powerful god than Satan? Evidently not. Jehovah knew his servants would not serve him properly if he restricted them. You see he learned a lesson in Eden. This time he was going to make the same mistake. After all, if a PERFECT couple can't be obedient, it only stands to reason that an imperfect people would always be going to the Devil's side.

Brilliant!

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Consider: Have you ever temporarily tolerated a piece of furniture unbiblical unChristian manmade Watchtower doctrine though it needed to be replaced, perhaps reasoning that it would prove impractical or disruptive to remove it for now?

Is this their reasoning for keeping the deadly ban on blood transfusions, and other destructive teachings?

It would prove impractical or disruptive? TO WHOM?

~Sue

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, there are some great thoughts here already. Tolerating polygamy did encourage the men who were not kings to savagely kill the non-Jews in their little tribal wars. That way, they could take the teen and pre-teen girls after killing their parents, and they could rape them as additional wives. Limiting them to one wife, they might have stopped.

A piece of funiture costs money to replace. Nobody keeps up a wrong practice because you don't get rid of the piece of furniture, but plenty more people keep up the practice of polygamy while "Jehovah" doesn't outlaw it.

This is just another "Jehovah-does-no-wrong" article that tries to paint a picture of Jehovah guiding his people completely. "If there are practices and problems in the congregations/organization today, just wait for Jehovah to straighten it out." That's the real story.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Do you think this article is a set-up for "new light?"

God's temporary toleration of polygamy [changed or discarded doctrine] had other advantages. It helped the nation Watchtower Corporation to grow rapidly.

The larger population rank and file helped to ensure the nation's Watchtower Corporation's survival until the time of the Messiah Government crackdown aka Armageddon.

Polygamy [Changed or discarded doctrine] may also have provided a measure of protection for some women Bethelites kicked to the curb, giving them a shelter and a household in dangerous tax evading, money laundering times.

~Sue

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I'm sorry, but I still can't get past that "furniture" part without laughing. What the hell is up with the Writing Dept?

• out4good3
    out4good3

It was nothing but a man made law that allowed men to enjoy sex with more than one woman,

replacing older ones with fresh ones.

OOOOOOOoooooooo....

Probably could've worded that a little better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit