Jehovah Knows in Advance His People Will Fail - July 1 09 WT

by Hopscotch 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

In this public edition of the watchtower it uses an illustration of a piece of furniture to help explain why jehovah tolerated polygamy.

But the more interesting point I thought was the reasoning in the first paragraph in the second column about jehovah warning his people when they strayed from his standards. It says "However, he knew in advance that his people would often fail to obey even the most basic of commands, such as the one against idolatry. (Exodus 32:9). If they would struggle to obey so basic a law, how would they fare with a law against polygamy? With his perfect grasp of human nature, Jehovah saw that it was not yet the time to forbid that practice, which was already long-established in those days. Had he done so, Satan would have found a very easy means of seducing them into sin."

Is it just me or do others feel that there is something wrong with this so called reasoning. If the Isrealites were his so-called 'chosen people' why was he constantly setting them up for failure if "he knew in advance they would fail to obey even the most basic of commands"?

Below is the scan of the article.

Hopscotch

• John Doe
    John Doe

"Tragically, Solomon's heard did indeed turn aside from Jehovah because of the bad influence of his many wives."

LOL

• quinnsmom
    quinnsmom

I reallly am laughing out loud. This is too funny.....of course, there was a time when I would have obediently nodded and fully agreed with this lame article. But the part about tolerating a piece of furniture used to compare his tolerance with pologmy....this is priceless!

• booby
    booby

Why make all the you must not commandments so that satan would have such an easy time of it. Make all those things okay and what could satan use to tempt them.

• aniron
    aniron

The Law was for the purpose of showing that no man could keep them perfectly and be righteous. That a Saviour was needed that could bridge that gap between God and man and gain salvation.

Unfortunately the Watchtower still persists on making "laws" to which its members have to obey to gain salvation.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

There is just so many problems with this line of reasoning, where do I start?

Well for one, I love the part where it says that polygamy was good because it helped the nation of israel to grow more rapidly.

Well, it would only grow more rapidly when the chosen ones went out and slaughtered other tribes and stole their young gilrs to take home and impregnate, otherwise polygamy doesn't cause a populance to grow more rapidly. It just leaves some men without wives.

So polygamy plus genocide equals faster growth for the tribe.

Also love the bit about how it was a protection for some women. WTF!! This is how the allmighty soveriegn of the universe protects women?

This whole article makes Jehovah sound like a pimp

• whatcanIsay
    whatcanIsay

Clearly, the bible paints a negative picture of polygamy!

Clearly!

• chickpea
    chickpea

i would suspect that by the time solomon
    had had a run at even half of his 700 wives
    he had likely contracted multiple STDs....

he didnt turn his heart away as much
    as melt his brain into a gob of syphilitic goo
    rendering him incapacitiated and insensible....
    barely aware of the impractical furniture he
    was only tolerating

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Someone said in this forum that WT did allowed polygamy(nice Greek word)until the early 50's. I think it was Blondie. So Blondie can you give us the WT that states that?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Bullshite reasoning...we should allow gay marriage so Satan doesn't use this to lead brothers into"sin." Those Jewish men liked the ladies!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit