Anyone been caught for drink driving?

by Cordelia 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

Getting "caught" in some cases surely has saved lives.

In AA its called "the blue light special" I know a lot of people that came into the program as a result of a DUI. I might have saved myself some trouble if I'd been caught, it is amazing I wasn't. As it was it took something else to get me to quit drinking. The night of the 2006 superbowl I was approached in the apt parking lot by a young woman who wanted me to bypass the interlock on her car. I refused. I hope she got some help, she needed it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Oh, back in my young 20's I was driving drunk quite a bit. I had to get a lawyer to get one reduced, but was in a serious accident on another and lost my license for 2 years. That was the last of my drinking and driving.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

"drink driving" - Glad Chickpea cleared that one up! I was like wow, "this girl does not belong the wheel right now." heh

I have never been "caught", but I have drove drunk before. To be quite frank, I have been nothing but lucky as far as not getting caught, or hurting anyone in the process. The times I have drove, I fooled myself into thinking that I was ok to drive, but by the time i made it home I realized it really was a dumb move. It's much easier AND cheaper to just take a cab than run the risk of severe regret in one way or another.

I guess I should add that I don't condone it under any circumstances, and that my irresponsible actions took place many years ago.

lurk3r

• leavingwt
  • jws
    jws

I got a DUI in my early 20's. I was right at the line of the legal limit. Lost my license automatically for 6 months along with a $525 fine, went to court and got sentenced to another month suspension, an anti-DUI course, and an evaluation as to whether I was an alcoholic (I'm not).

It slowed down my drinking and I was definitely more cautious about using designated drivers afterwards. And if I was driving, I'd limit my consumption and wait before driving. For example, I might have a drink at a friends, then switch to water and wait a couple of hours before driving.

I do think the laws are one-size-fits-all, when in reality your ability to drive is based on a lot of factors. All we do is judge a certain blood alcohol level as intoxicated. People react to alcohol differently. I've seen people have one drink and start acting goofy. I've seen others have a single drink and it doesn't seem to affect them in the slightest, even though they're of relatively the same size and build. It isn't driving, but I know a guy who gets better at playing pool the more he drinks (at least until he gets fall-down drunk).

Sober is the safest. But I would rather drive in a car with some people I know who are at the legal limit or even above it than drive in a car with others I know who are perfectly sober.

We had a guy at our hall who was practically blind, but still drove his car. It's a miracle he didn't kill himself or somebody else. And many people who had driven with him never did again.

Equal to the hatred for drunk drivers should be hatred for the old people who are no longer capable of driving safely, but do. Or people who are distracted by talking on a cell phone. Or people who text while driving. Or people driving tired or sick. Or people who just plain never learned how to drive safely.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

i drank wasnt going to go home but my friend needed me so i drove my other friend repoted me and i was stopped at lights in court on weds im scared

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Younger I nearly hit a post lucky nobody was around...but this is very very bad and I swear I will never do it again...I'm an idiot. If I lose my licence I will get fired so that too is a new motivation.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

in fact its tomorro and where i was caught is a small town with apperently much harsher rules the sol said prison is nan option there im really scared but it is true in my home town they are more lenient either way ill be banned tomorro so cant go in my car and will take me hours to get home!

i know im feeling sorry for myself but my uncle was killed at 6 by a drunk driver so i should be more against it then many, i just turned to drink for so many years and had no plans of driving home, but in a way im glad ive been caught before i killed someone or myself, definately makes you think anyway wish me luctho i know i dont deserve it,

x

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Witnesses frequently get pulled over for drinking the Koolaid.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    i know im feeling sorry for myself but my uncle was killed at 6 by a drunk driver so i should be more against it then many, i just turned to drink for so many years and had no plans of driving home, but in a way im glad ive been caught before i killed someone or myself, definately makes you think anyway wish me luctho i know i dont deserve it,

So you had no plans to drive home - what the hell is wrong with getting a taxi then? I'm glad your other friend reported you, although maybe it would have been better if they'd taken your keys off you so you couldn't drive in the first place.

I'm glad too that you didn't kill yourself or anyone else too - NEXT TIME you might not be so lucky.

Makes you think does it? it looks like you need to do a helluva lot more thinking - not just a passing thought maybe.

No I won't wish you any luck - you do the crime you do the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit