I would like know how you first found this site, and what was your first experience on here like?

by BonaFide 35 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

i moderate on a forum for
    adult survivors of childhood
    sexual abuse and part of
    my responsibilities include
    screening submissions to
    the reference/research board...
    looking for and labeling
    triggering content, checking
    out links to see if the site is
    legit or trying to make $$
    off their particular brand
    of crazy.....

at any rate, i was checking out
    a site that had an article on
    dealing with manipulative people...
    i followed a link to a link to a link
    and ended up on rick ross's site
    where there was a link to JWD....

i was already in what i later
    learned was a fade.... but
    in anguish.....

vocatus atque
    non vocatus
    deus aderit....

bidden or unbidden
    god is here.....

day after day after day
    for uncounted months
    i read this on a sticky note
    by my dresser and agonized
    about my faith or rather the
    growing lack thereof....
    my god my god who has
    forsaken whom?

i registered as a member
    and posted within the first
    24 hours of reading on JWD....

and life just keeps getting better....

• VIII
    VIII

I have been out for years. Faded years ago and decided to google jehovahs witnesses. I found JWD. I started reading. I read the site for years-about 5 actually. I thought about registering because there were so many things I could add but then someone would say what I was going to so why bother.

Then the site changed and I got nervous and decided I had better register when I had the chance.

I don't recall my first experience reading here. It was years ago.

Reading people's experiences here helps keep me sane when dealing with some of my family. Just when I think no one can have a family as messed up as mine I read here and realise that as JWs, the majority of them are really messed up and I'm not the only one. Thank you for that.

• undercover
    undercover

I was technically in, but inactive and completely dissillusioned. I knew something was wrong but couldn't come to grips with the controlled feelings and the info I was starting to see on the Internet.

I purposely avoided anything that smacked of "apostacy", still being in the mindset of a JW...but I wanted to see other outside info about the Bible and prophecies. As I searched for non-apostate or non-JW related sites, I kept stumbling on JWD and other sites like Freeminds. I'd click and then leave in a hurry, actually afraid of being on an "apostate" site.

But on every subject I searched on, I kept finding hits to JWD, freeminds and a couple of others. It started to dawn on me that maybe people on these sites had the same questions I did. That's when I started lurking, reading. Boy was it eye opening. Most everything I was learning was already dissected and discussed in depth here. Most of the uneasiness I had about certain teachings and practices were covered in depth at Freeminds.

But still I lurked, just reading. When I finally got up the nerve to post, I was still in a quandry... I knew that there was something wrong with the WT organization but I was having a hard time coming to terms with if the bOrg was purposely misleading us or if they believed it themselves. I'm not sure now, why that was such a dilema for me at the time. I think maybe I could justify their zealousness if I thought maybe they really believed what they were shoveling.

My joining here is closely timed with about the time I quit going to meetings, except for the occaisional Sunday meeting and Sunday assembly. It wasn't even a year before I quit going altogether, except for Memorials.

My first post got a pretty good response, but because I was so unlearned about the real issues with the WT scandals, some of my questions actually prompted a couple of people to call me a troll, but others came to my defense and encouraged me to keep researching and learning.

When I go back and read that first post, I'm little surprised how just naive I was about the whole thing. It really is amazing just how controlled JWs can be. That's why I'm of the opinion that the WT organization is a cult. I was convinced that looking at an apostate site would lead to demon trouble and was scared. I figured that somehow Jehovah would let the elders know. Over time, I realized how my thinking and feelings were controlled by the Society. I was basically at their beck and call for years. Learning that you weren't really using your full mental capabilities and reasoning while in is a little scary and unnerving. The longer I'm out, the more I learn, the more I'm convinced it's a cult.

• snowbird
    snowbird

In Y2K, out of sheer curiosity, I typed CULTS into a search engine.

The list was alphabetical, and guess which name was listed in the J category?

Yep.

I was flummoxed!

I followed all the links, but liked Randy's site better. I migrated from his site to JWD, but didn't know how to join in the discussion.

I'm from backwoods Alabama, ok?

I lurked for 7 years until my granddaughter showed me how to register.

The rest is history.

Thanks to Simon for this board, and thank you for a great topic.

Sylvia

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I willfully and intentionally clicked onto apostate sites. I decided that, if I was going to be better off outside than in whether or not it was the truth, and since I cannot do fornication without a partner, I decided that I had to do apostasy instead. So I started going to the other apostate sites, and found another discussion board and joined that. When it closed down because the owner didn't see it cost effective, I joined this board--which I saw largely from the other board.

• mouthy
    mouthy

The convention put on by Bill Cetnar that I had attended for a couple of years
    Every one was talking about getting a computor,but I was very poor so couldnt afford it.
    I was a widow,since 1985 "ousted in1987,went first time to Bill's convention 1989.
    That is where I found out what phonies the WT organization is.
    Started a support group here in Canada.Every one was saying get on the internet.
    Then out of the blue ...an insurance company ,that I had cancelled sent me info
    that I had 3 thousand in holdings I could cash.

So I got the computor ,Attila a new comer to the support group set me up
    He got me on this site... ( If your still reading Attila THANKS A Trillion)
    He got ticked with me because I have a belief in Christ...But I still love him
    immensley...Thats my how I found the site...by an atheist... LOL!!!!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I googled "apostobabes" and was immediately led to this site.

W

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I had been doing a little bit of research every now and again about certain teachings, but I had limited myself to books at the library that were not considered apostate. I would look up what the "secular" sources were saying about 607 BCE and the formation of Christianity, various things that interested me. I had a feeling something was wrong with WTS, but couldn't bring myself to look into things deeper than that.

2006 came. I saw too much hypocrisy to ignore it anymore. I found it very easy to google anything I had questions about already so googling Watchtower was only a matter of time and 2006 was the time. I read stuff at various websites including jwfacts and freeminds. I could tell from everything I read that WTS was a dangerous cult. I learned that Ray Franz had some books available and that former JW's liked Steve Hassan's books so I ordered them online. When I was done absorbing stuff from other websites, I finally followed the link on freeminds to JWD. I had avoided it thus far, not for any real reason other than the fact that I was reading and didn't care for "chat." But I had ordered the Franz and Hassan books and they hadn't arrived yet.

I found much more to read at JWD, so just kept lurking for the first few months. Eventually, a thread on Bethel layoffs drew me in. I wanted to comment and I did. I just kept going from there.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Google "Jehovah's Witness". Over the last year or so have read some of the threads here and decided to sign up as some things have been happening with my father, a Ministerial Servant. I want to be prepared to help him should he be 'cut off'. The rumour about the 'Year of the Great Apostacy' has me a little worried.

I was uncertain about joining as I have seen some negative things here... a lot of bitterness and anger. But I realize that this is all part of the healing process and hope that I can help others as well as have others help me. I have learned a lot over the last year or so and am grateful to all those who have come forward to share their experiences and knowledge. You have confirmed for me what I already suspected but didn't have all the hard and fast evidence. Thank you to everyone!

• RR
    RR

I'm probably one of the "oldest" posters here, by "oldest" I mean one of the original, first.

We were on Obed's Witnesses.net site, which was originally a pro JW site, but as the years went on, it became more of place to talk about everything JW.

As he tried to maintain control, moderators were leaving or getting kicked out. New Forums were being created, Simon starts JW.com and eventually wit.net closed its doors.

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit