I prefer the term "suprareasonable"

Cognition has limits. ;-)

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

Evasive again?

Ok, let's try to sort this out.

To me, life is a miracle.

I believe that the Bible's theme of restitution (a miracle in itself) encompasses stillbirths and abortions - spontaneous and elective.

You don't think He is going to let Satan win, do you?

Straight questions, straight answers.

Sylvia

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I prefer the term "suprareasonable"

How cromulent of you to invent your own language !

Cognition has limits.

Agreed, but when a 'reasonable' person reaches the limits of his or her cognition he can push against the barrier through research, study and experiment. Or even just admit to not knowing! The 'unreasonable' person (and I use that word in its literal sense - no offence intended) attempts to breach the limits with faith.

And that is the problem with miracles . . .

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

Hello all - been on vacation for a couple weeks and have missed the forum. This is an interesting question. If you are asking if God singles out certain individuals and heals them, then no, I don't believe in miracles. Why should one family who prays like crazy and whose friends pray for a child or other loved one be blessed with a cure for example, when others who are equally deserving are not answered. That just doesn't make sense to me.

On the other hand, I do believe there are things that happen that are outside the realm of what we understand to be normal. For example, a few years ago my husband had a particularly sinister mass appear in his chest, not contained to the lungs and way too close to the aorta to be operable. Over a period of a couple of weeks a number of studies were done to try and determine what to do. A CT guided needle biopsy was scheduled and he was literally on the table and already sedated when the Dr. literally came dancing out of the treatment room and grabbed me and dragged me into the room to show me the images on the light box. The golf ball sized mass had reduced on its own to a very tiny spot - it had spontaneously started to resolve on it own. The procedure was cancelled and the Dr. said there was no explanation for this. Sooo....crazy stuff happens that we don't understand, and in that sense it is miraculous - it least it was to us.

• snowbird
    snowbird

The 'unreasonable' person (and I use that word in its literal sense - no offence intended) attempts to breach the limits with faith.
    And that is the problem with miracles . . .

Au contraire.

It's your problem with faith!

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    cromulent

I love that word, for some reason is sounds so very British.

BTS

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Only ONE miricle have I EVER seen in my life.....I once put a tooth that fell out under my pillow and the next morning.....praise God five bucks! It still sends shivers down my spine......oh and one time I saw Santa on Chrismas Eve...he was swiging Jim Beam and told me to "Go F### youself kid!".....soooo amazing!

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

i believe in happy coincidences. i also believe in very un-happy coincidences. If there was a plane crash and one out of say, ten people survive, is that a miracle? with some supernatural explanation? if so, why didnt these presumably benevolent mischief-makers save the other nine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMmvu9eMrg

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

of course, for the true believers, the above video will mean nothing.

• only me
    only me

Thank you all for your comments, especially 'only me' for sharing the only account of a 'miracle' containing specific details (by RA do you mean rheumatoid arthritis?) I'm glad you and your Mom are well.

Yes, I had extremely severe rheumatoid arthritis, wasn't getting relief from the meds I was taking. Still have the residual damage, but the doctor say he has never seen anyone just go from severe disease to no signs of active disease so fast. My Mom is still a JW and doesn't know this was done for her.

We are lucky, that much is sure.

I have to repeat, I had no idea that I was being healed until it was done. Didn't even have an idea he could do it.

Now a couple years later, I've learned of other healings that he has done, my daughter had a large cavity in her tooth and he healed that in 3 days. I could actually see the hole filling in with healthy tooth over time. Weird i know but I can only say what I saw. He doesn't want publicity, money, or even thank yous. He is very shy about it all.

He can also hear what most people are thinking. Says it's like listening to the radio all the time, annoying.

I suppose it could all just be a coincidence but I don't think so. Some might chalk it up to demons, I don't know.

I'm just thankful and I'm happy he's in our lives.

Anyway, I don't expect anyone to believe this just because I say it. Proof is in the seeing I think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit