How did/do you break the "thinking" chain?

by lurk3r 23 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Philippians 4:7 echoes what Poppers says:

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

BTS

• parakeet
    parakeet

I didn't break the "thinking" chain; my newborn son did. When I first saw his baby face, one second I was still a dub; the next second I knew it was all crap compared to the little miracle in my arms.

BTW, the phrase, "thinking" chain, is giving braindead dubs too much credit. It's more like an old LP skipping over and over again.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I didn't break the "thinking" chain; my newborn son did. When I first saw his baby face, one second I was still a dub; the next second I knew it was all crap compared to the little miracle in my arms.

Hah! My wife's pregnancy sealed it for me too. No way was I going to raise my little one there!

BTS

• parakeet
    parakeet
    BTS: Hah! My wife's pregnancy sealed it for me too. No way was I going to raise my little one there!

LOL, BTS! Children have a way of forcing one to grow up and get serious.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I was raised a JW from an early age. When I left, I read Steven Hassan's book, Combatting Cult Mind Control. It is a must read for any former JW. That really helped me to see what the WT had done to my mind and how to begin to heal it.

He has since written another book, Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves, which I recently finished reading and highly recommend. In my opinion it really helps to look at the JW experience from the perspective of psychology. We have to be able to fully understand what these cults have done to our thinking and reasoning ability, and how they manipulate people. I think when we understand where we've been, we are more easily able to see how to move forward.

• rebel8
    rebel8

One of my schticks: Analyzing is an important part of healing. Eventually you need to stop over-intellectualizing and start changing and moving on.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Make the mind your servant, not the reverse.

S

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Das Bedenklichste in unserer bedenklichen Zeit ist, daß wir noch nicht denken.

What most calls for thinking in our time that calls for thinking is that we are not thinking yet.

M. Heidegger, Was heißt denken?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Having thoughts is not thinkiong. Left in charge, the mind is like one of those machines that spits out tennis balls in random directions. It leaves the question, what is real thinking?

S

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

1975 and the commercialization of this organization was probably the starting point for me being a bit more analytical.

Somehow I couldn't get around the fact of god's one and only true organization to do such a thing and actually sell it

to people all at the same time, this appeared to me very illogical and perhaps deviously corrupt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit