New member introduction

by deemoo 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• deemoo
    deemoo

Hello! I'm new to the forum and couldn't find a place for new members to introduce themselves... so here I am, starting a new topic!(bold!)

I started studying with the JWs a few months ago. We're now on Chap. 5 of What the Bible Really Teaches and things are going well. My stated intention at the start of the study - and now - is just to learn more about different religions and their beliefs. I have no wish to become a JW (although the people I'm studying with seem to have forgotten that.. hehe)

Current experience -
    All the JWs I've met so far are really sweet people. Some of them don't fully practice what they preach (e.g. attachment to worldly things), but on the whole, they seem happy, healthy, loving. The congregation are really friendly (I've been to a few Sunday meetings already - not a regular visitor though.) I find that the only people I don't like are the Elder & his wife who were assigned to this congregation from the local Bethel. Theirs are the only smiles in the whole room that seem fake

Why I'm here -
    I found a reference to these forums on Mininova (user: HannahTheDog) and thought I would join up. A place to balance out all the indoctrination. Somewhere to discuss the studies (with people who are not witnesses themselves). This is my first time contributing on any forum... please be nice :)

Religious background -
    None! I believe that whether or not there is a God doesn't make a difference to my present life. I still want to be a good person, not steal, love everyone (sure!). Pray when I feel grateful/sad. I have a fantastic life... thanks to parents' efforts/lucky stars!
    I don't believe my entry into heaven/hell/lack of rebirth/paradise earth have anything to do with how much I do for God (as in, he doesn't need his ass kissed)... but if they exist, then getting in should depend upon the good I've done in this life, for myself and other people.

That's enough introduction for one post - I got carried away talking about myself

I look forward to getting to know many of you!

• choosing life
    choosing life

Hi, deemoo. I guess you realize that you are being love-bombed right now by the jws. Not that there aren't nice, lovely people who are jws. There are, but they make it a congregational effort to recruit new members. If you don't "progress" in becoming a witness, the love will cool off.

How I would have loved to have this forum to visit when I studied with them! All the good, honest questions I could have asked.

Good luck with your study of religions. cl

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I give you an amen!

if the God of the Watchtower exists, then <.000001% of the people would be saved!

welcome

• deemoo
    deemoo

Hi cl & DaCheech!

It's lovely to be welcomed :)

I badger the JWs with questions all the time. Something I found out (by accident, but now I make a conscious effort) is to ask them the same question again after about a month or so and see how their answer changes.

For example, I'm very feminist and after visiting the congregation, I was a bit miffed that none of the speakers were women. When I asked them if women can hold leadership positions in the congregation, they said "of course!" I asked them the question again 2 weeks ago (a little more than a month after the first time) and they showed me a passage in 1Tim 2:11 that said a woman should learn in submissiveness. I was livid! It seemed like they now considered me "ready" to know about the real stuff.

ACK! After browsing through the forums a bit, I see a lot of people have had experiences with being shunned, oppressive rules, etc. It doesn't seem like a good religion to be part of :(

Deemoo.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Welcome to the forum! You have probably figured out by now that this site is made up of people who have, for the most part, rejected the idea that the JW religion is "the truth".

My recomendation to all who are studying with JWs, or considering it, is to learn about cults and how they recruit new members. There is a lot of good info out there on the web and in libraries. A book that I highly recomend is Steven Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control. Most people believe that they could never be recruited into a cult. But it happens every day. People need to understand how those organizations work to protect themselves.

Best wishes to you.

• whoknows
    whoknows

Ask them this question:

If I become a JW and have a child that decides at the age of 14 to be baptized as a JW, and then in their 20s decides that the religion is not for them, verbally disagrees with some teachings of the JWS and is consequently disfellowshipped, am I allowed to have a normal, loving relationship with that child?

They probably won't give you an honest answer to that one.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the jws use "theocratic warfare" in how the teach and preach

for example: with new convert they will sugar coat all the answers to be safe. they will never give harsh or negative awswers until they know that you are ready.

the same warfare is used in talking to authorities.... Ex. given: the same questions is answered diffrently depending on who the receiver is!

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi deemoo, welcome & enjoy the love bombing whilst its lasts..... it will stop once they realise you think of yourself as a feminist!! I am tipping a scripture may be shown to you real soon about a lady called Jezebel....

Mattieu

• flipper
    flipper

DEEMOO- Welcome to the board ! While you are studying with the witnesses you might ask the one studying with you if she is aware of the 16 child abuse lawsuits settled out of court by the Jehovah's Witnesses in 2007 - and ask the elder in your congregation you are attending as well. They might not be aware of it because Jehovah's Witnesses are under what's called " information control " from the WT society. They only tell members the happy, good stuff when you first start studying - but once you get baptized they hypnotize you with dangerous " cult mind control " tactics which are more harsh ! Just please listen - don't ever get BAPTIZED as a JW. I was in it from birth for 44 years. Been out 5 years - take my word it's dangerous. Educate yourself and keep your freedom of thought friend. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• oompa
    oompa

welcome!.......but lmao...do you REALLY like those studies!?!??!?!?........my god man.....just read the book if you must........oompa

oh...and if you are not a man but a hot babe......pm me....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit