rough draft re:shunning & new Awake article

by carla 25 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

Rough draft meant for non jw's, need to shorten it up, etc... Comments?

In a recent Awake! published by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, delivered by local Jehovah Witness members, they made this claim:

“Is it Wrong to Change Your Religion?” in the July 2009 Awake p29: “No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family.”

This simple statement makes it appear as though jw's allow independent thought on religion within the jw family structure. Nothing could be further from the truth! Let us examine what the Watchtower really says about shunning family members who choose to leave the faith or are expelled (disfellowshiped) for what they deem 'unrepentant sin'. I would advise the reader to go to the many ex-jw forums on the internet to find out why many have left or were disfellowshiped, often for minor offenses or not believing a 'unique' jw doctrine. Those who have left for doctrinal reasons are labeled 'apostates' and are to be hated. Jw's are required to shun parents, children and siblings and the effects are devasting. Countless families and generations have been affected by this unloving policy of the Watchtower.

My thanks to JW Facts.com for supplying the following quotes. All quotes can be verified and checked at your local Kingdom Hall. However, the jw's there may not allow you to see the 'members only' editions of jw literature.

What the Watchtower has really said about shunning-----

"What about speaking with a disfellowshipped person? While the Bible does not cover every possible situation, 2 John 10 helps us to get Jehovah's view of matters: "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him." Commenting on this, The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 25, says: "A simple 'Hello' to someone can be the first step that develops into a conversation and maybe even a friendship. Would we want to take that first step with a disfellowshipped person?" Indeed, it is just as page 31 of the same issue of The Watchtower states: "The fact is that when a Christian gives himself over to sin and has to be disfellowshipped, he forfeits much: his approved standing with God; . . . sweet fellowship with the brothers, including much of the association he had with Christian relatives."… Cooperating with the Scriptural arrangement to disfellowship and shun unrepentant wrongdoers is beneficial. It preserves the cleanness of the congregation and distinguishes us as upholders of the Bible's high moral standards. (1 Pet. 1:14-16) It protects us from corrupting influences. (Gal. 5:7-9) It also affords the wrongdoer an opportunity to benefit fully from the discipline received, which can help him to produce "peaceable fruit, namely, righteousness."-Heb. 12:11. After hearing a talk at a circuit assembly, a brother and his fleshly sister realized that they needed to make adjustments in the way they treated their mother, who lived elsewhere and who had been disfellowshipped for six years. Immediately after the assembly, the man called his mother, and after assuring her of their love, he explained that they could no longer talk to her unless there were important family matters requiring contact." Kingdom Ministry Aug 2002 p.3

Cutting off from the Christian congregation does not involve immediate death, so family ties continue. Thus, a man who is disfellowshipped or who disassociates himself may still live at home with his Christian wife and faithful children… The situation is different if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and home. It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum, in line with the divine principle: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person [or guilty of another gross sin], . . . not even eating with such a man."-1 Corinthians 5:11. Understandably, this may be difficult because of emotions and family ties, such as grandparents' love for their grandchildren. Yet, this is a test of loyalty to God, as stated by the sister quoted on page 26." Watchtower 1988 Apr 15 p.27

"It is the disfellowshipped person who has made problems for himself and for his relatives." Watchtower 1981 Sep 15 p.27

"Yet, there might be some absolutely necessary family matters requiring communication, such as legalities over a will or property. But the disfellowshiped relative should be made to appreciate that his status has changed, that he is no longer welcome in the home nor is he a preferred companion." Watchtower 1970 Jun 1 pp.351-352

"The wrongdoer has to realize that his status is completely changed, that his faithful Christian relatives thoroughly disapprove of his wicked course and show this disapproval by limiting contacts to only those which are unavoidable…" Watchtower 1963 Jul 15 p.444 "Jesus encouraged his followers to love their enemies, but God's Word also says to "hate what is bad." When a person persists in a way of badness after knowing what is right, when the bad becomes so ingrained that it is an inseparable part of his make-up, then in order to hate what is bad a Christian must hate the person with whom the badness is inseparably linked." Watchtower 1961 Jul 15 p.420

"Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live and also by the laws of God through Jesus Christ, we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent, that is, consistent with both sets of laws. The law of the land and God's law through Christ forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be members of our own flesh-and-blood family relationship. However, God's law requires us to recognize their being disfellowshiped from his congregation, and this despite the fact that the law of the land in which we live requires us under some natural obligation to live with and have dealings with such apostates under the same roof. … Satan's influence through the disfellowshiped member of the family will be to cause the other member or members of the family who are in the truth to join the disfellowshiped member in his course or in his position toward God's organization. To do this would be disastrous, and so the faithful family member must recognize and conform to the disfellowship order. How would or could this be done while living under the same roof or in personal, physical contact daily with the disfellowshiped? In this way: By refusing to have religious relationship with the disfellowshiped." Watchtower 1952 Nov 15 p.703

“We might wonder, then, since this congregation which God is developing or bringing into existence is based on love, why anyone should ever want to talk about disfellowshipping or putting people out of this congregation. There certainly must be some reason. Well, the reason for disfellowshipping is that some persons get into this congregation of God that do not love Christ. … Those who are acquainted with the situation in the congregation should never say ‘Hello’ or ‘Goodbye’ to him. He is not welcome in our midst, we avoid him. … Such an individual has no place in the clean organization or congregation of God. He should go back to the wicked group that he once came from and die with that wicked group with Satan’s organization.” Watchtower 1952 March 1 pp.131,134 (my note to the reader, all who are not jw's are 'of satan' and 'satan's organization)

In the Watchtower 1955 October 1 p.607, even to associate with a disfellowshipped person became a reason to be disfellowshipped:

“If a publisher refuses to do this and ignores the prohibition on associating with the disfellowshipped one, that publisher is rebelling against the congregation of Jehovah, and “rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as idolatry and teraphim. … If after sufficient warning the publisher persists in associating with the disfellowshipped person instead of aligning himself with Jehovah’s organization he also should be disfellowshipped.”

The following sources cites the following Watchtower (wt) quotes-
    http://www.4witness.org/jehovahs_witness/jw-shunning.php

“Her parents had been disfellowshipped. She was not, but she voluntarily disassociated herself by writing a letter withdrawing from the congregation. …She moved away, but years later she returned and found that local Witnesses would not converse with her. …Such shunning would be appropriate, too, for anyone who rejects the congregation. …By also avoiding persons who have deliberately disassociated themselves, Christians are protected from possible critical, unappreciative, or even apostate views. …Imagine, too, how the wrongdoer’s brothers, sisters, and grandparents felt. Yet, their putting loyalty to their righteous God before family affection could be lifesaving for them.”—The Watchtower April 15, 1988, pp. 26-28

“This brings a test upon a Christian when a marriage mate, a child, a parent, or another close relative is disfellowshipped or has disassociated himself from the congregation… the principles of which apply equally to those who are disfellowshipped and to those who disassociate themselves… Hence, we also avoid social fellowship with an expelled person. This would rule out joining him in a picnic, party, or trip to the shops or theatre or sitting down to a meal with him either in the home or at a restaurant. …if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and homeIt might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative.”—Our Kingdom Ministry, August 2002, pp. 3-4

The Watchtower teaches HATE as a doctrine that must be accepted by jw's or risk disfellowshiping. (my comment)

“More than that, we want to hatethose who willfully show themselves haters of Jehovah, haters of what is good. …We hate them, not in the sense of wanting to do them harm or wishing them harm but in the sense of avoiding them as we would poison or a poisonous snake, for they can poison us spiritually.”—The Watchtower, June 15, 1980, p. 8

Godly hate is a powerful protection against wrongdoing… Are we doing that? …Apostates are included among those who show their hatred of Jehovah by revolting against him. Apostasy is, in reality, a rebellion against Jehovah. …Others claim to believe the Bible, but they reject Jehovah’s organization and actively try to hinder its work. …a Christian must hate (in the Biblical sense of the word) those who have inseparably attached themselves to the badness.”—The Watchtower, October 1, 1993, p. 19

The insidious nature of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society also known as Jehovah Witnesses (jw's) should be made public. I urge you to research this dangerous and deadly cult. They hide the cruel practice of extreme shunning from the public, what else are they hiding?

Freeminds.org
    Watchtowercomments.com
    AJWRB.org
    JWFACTS.com
    Jwfiles.com
    Silentlambs.org

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Very well written Carla.........great collection of your thoughts and the facts as well as collecting them in a very non threatening manner. May be a bit long, but I really don't know what to take out.....would be edited however if one sent to a newspaper as a letter to the editor due to its length.

• carla
    carla

I know, I know, I need to shorten it considerably but damn! the wt just hangs itself doesn't it? how to cut down such great quotes? not for a newspaper but for anti jw lit delivery.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

both true, would be a great pamphlet to have ready for delivery after the Awake goes out for distribution.......

• StAnn
    StAnn

To which non-JWs do you intend to deliver this and how?

Also, I think it would be beneficial to bring out that the WTS is lying to the public. You do point out that their "real" teachings differ from the public teaching but I feel you need to reiterate that point very strongly, using words like lie and deceive.

If you're trying to shorten it, which I too feel is a good idea or people will give up and not read it all, you could probably cut the part on "hate". It is a valid point but non-JWs are probably going to be so stunned to read that the WTS tells people not to speak to their own mother that they'll miss the hate part anyway.

St. Ann

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Nice work Carla. I would love to see this information in a brochure entitled Jehovah's Witnesses: Are They REALLY God's People?

Or how about Jehovah's Witnesses: True Christians Or Cult Of Christianity?

Jehovah's Witnesses: Two Watchtowers, Two Faces

Jehovah's Witnesses: Family Friends or Family Foes?

You would probably be better off printing the information in a series of leaflets. If that's what you had in mind, I would gladly pony up some cash to help you with your efforts. At least this time I would know that my money will be spent on saving real lives -- and not on building temples to espouse this dreck, or to protect pedophiles.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Nice work.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Nice one, carla.

I hope you can manage to get this info to a wide audience. People need to know the double standards as the general public usually only see the nice, shiny happy public side of the WTS.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Notably, they put the lenient standard--that no one should be forced into an unacceptable belief or lose family for one's belief--in the Asleep! magazine. They put things like that in the Showcase Washtowel or the Asleep! magazine, to make them look like a good religion to join.

Of course, it all contradicts what goes in the Kool-Aid Washtowels, the Kingdumb Miseries, or in the Grand Boasting Session talks. That, not what is in the Showcase washtowel or Asleep!, is what the witlesses are supposed to go by. They place the Showcase Washtowel and the Asleep! only to give the public the image they want the public to know about.

Other things the witlesses lie to accomplish include having custody of children--they give normal careers in court hearings while showcasing Beth Hell and pio-sneering at the Grand Boasting Sessions.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Carla do you mind if I print this off for a few people in my community that I think would appreciate the information ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit