It gives me chills

by net1261 15 Replies latest jw friends

• net1261
    net1261

So I've been out of JW's about a year. I've done a lot of research since then etc. But just in the past month or so I cannot look at WT publications. As soon as one shows up on an ex-witness website, I get chills. I cannot look at it. I hope my parents never want to debate the doctrine with me because just the idea of it is so repugnant to me.

Hmm, at least I'm getting margaritas and mexican food in about an hour!

• StAnn
    StAnn

I understand completely. It reminds me of the scripture about "do not touch the unclean thing." There is nothing more unclean than WTS publications. It makes me feel contaminated to even touch them.

St. Ann

• lavendar
    lavendar

So happy that you found your way out of the WTS. I'm hoping to be able to say the same for my family member someday!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Amen!

1 Timothy 4

All the best,

Stephen

• Clam
    Clam

Yes I know what you mean net1261. When I see a mag or a book at one of my JW relative's homes, it makes me cringe.

• Perry
    Perry

Hmm, at least I'm getting margaritas and mexican food in about an hour!

Hmmm, trading chills for .... well easy on the frioles.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think it's best for people like that to not read washtowel littera-trash. Some of them might be moved by it to go back, if given enough attention--those people really haven't developed the ability to self-lead, and could be led right back in. If you feel you do not have the ability to self-lead in religious matters, it may in fact be a good idea to find another church to join. At least that way, you will not be led back into the cancer.

Others have already made up their mind that they alone can find their way without being fleeced. For them, either they are supposed to independently study the Bible, or they believe that the Bible lies. Those types can in fact read washtowel littera-trash (though they might feel bad for those that are still in or glad they are out) and be able to write another article to throw it back in their faces. And, since I fit that category (I can read a washtowel article and realize that it is neither practical nor true to any decent or widely-held belief or moral system), there is little chance of being led back into the cancer by reading a washtowel or asleep in the safety of my computer.

Reading a rag is one thing. If one is forcibly taken back into the cancer and surrounded by people that believe and practice the lies, they are prone to fall back. Even if they don't believe it, they are forced to act according to the lies or face big trouble.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I feel the same way at times. I wrote a book about the JWs (never published but used the info to become jwfacts.com). I printed a few draft copies for friends that we on the way out. One girl said she would get so angry at some of the WT quotes that she would hurl the book across the room.

I don't recommend debating doctrine with parents, debates never get anywhere. Did you ever debate the Trinity with anyone at the door, no one changes the viewpoint over a doctrinal debate. I would take it from another tack if they ever want to, so that your parents end up on the defensive rather than you.

For example, tell them you do not want to debate doctrine because Watchtower doctrines makes you so upset and angry. How dare any group of men in America say that God will kill billions of people for not following them. What sort of religion paints God as so unjust and barbaric that he will kill billions of people that have never even heard of him. (Your parents will possibly deny that is the Watchtower teaching so you can get back up quotes from http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/salvation.htm) Watchtower doctrine is unimportant to you because you could never believe God is like that or worship him if he was. That will generally shut them up.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I haven't touched a piece of JW literature since I left 4 years ago....oh wait a pamphlet to the memorial - my first piece since then - The pics made my skin crawl - ugh!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

It takes time to want to even think about the pain you felt, the lies, the doctrine....then one day sometimes things click and you want to help

others so the research begins.....

hope4others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit