Clarifying the Trinity Doctrine

by UnDisfellowshipped 123 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Since there is so much confusion among ex-JW's, JW's, and Christians in general about exactly what the Trinity Doctrine is, I decided to post this to clarify this teaching.

The historical Trinity Doctrine of the Christian (Protestant and Catholic) churches has always been this:

* There is only One True God by Nature.

* There are Three Distinct Persons who share equally the Nature of God.

* There are NOT three different GODS (that is the false doctrine of Tritheism or Polytheism).

* There is NOT one PERSON who is revealed three different ways (that is the false doctrine of Modalism).

* However, each Person of the Trinity does have His own "role" or "function." The Son willingly obeys the Father. The Spirit willingly obeys the Father and the Son. (This is known as "Functional Subordinationism")

* Each of the Three Persons is called "Jehovah" (or "Yahweh") and "God" in the Bible.

* Jesus IS Jehovah, but He is NOT The Father or The Spirit.

* The Son is the One who died on the Cross, NOT The Father or The Spirit.

* The Father is the One who sent The Son into the world. (Jesus did NOT send Himself)

* The Son was praying to The Father. (Jesus was NOT praying to Himself)

* While Jesus was on earth (and even after He returned to heaven), The Father had a greater position or rank of authority within the Godhead.

* The Father, Son, and Spirit are EQUAL in Nature, Essence, Attributes, Qualities, Power, Knowledge, etc.

* The Father, Son, and Spirit deserve EQUAL worship and praise and prayer from Christians.

* The Son took on flesh, and became 100% Human in addition to being 100% God. That is why He had certain human limitations while He was on earth.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Hi, UnDisfellowshipped.

* Each of the Three Persons is called "Jehovah" (or "Yahweh") and "God" in the Bible.

* Jesus IS Jehovah, but He is NOT The Father or The Spirit.

I beg to deffer...
    Although your explanation is almost correct, I think that the above-mentioned point is clearly incorrect, IMHO.

In the Trinity doctrine, Jesus is not Jehovah.
    I explained it repeatedly until now.

When Jehovah IS Jesus, it is contradictory to that explanation "He is NOT The Father."
    "Jehovah" is the name of the father of Jesus.

If you do not understand this correctly, logical thinking of Jehovah's Witnesses will refuse the Trinity.
    Even if you explain kindly, "Jesus was NOT praying to Himself", it is because it will be the meaning "Jehovah was praying to Jehovah."

possible
    http://godpresencewithin.blog86.fc2.com/

• yknot
    yknot

But why.....

I just don't get it. Why does God need functional subordination? How is Jesus a 'son'? If he wasn't created did God-Father split and divide into seperate cells? While a man can be a father, a son, and an uncle at the same time......he can't be those to himself. I am not trying to argue or deride your POV, I just don't get the appeal or rationality. Arianism is a face value interpretation, it simplicity isn't burdensome nor mysterious (okay I will allow for the whole beget thing without a wifey)....but still a lot less problematic.

What was the point of the temptation of Jesus? If he had chosen to bow down to Satan what would have happened to this triune equation? If he wasn't able to fail, again what was the point of the event?

Does salvation really hinge on this interpretational understanding over acceptance of Christ?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There is only One True God by Nature.

That is quite a critical point that JWs do not understand. The Trinity doctrine is that there is only One God, not three Gods.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

imo God the Father is Jehovah - he bears all the marks of a father figure gone to extremes but well intentioned

God the Son and the Holy Spirit potentially balance him and even rescue him from his extremes.

edit: undisfellowshipped, I don't think the catholic view and the protestant view are the same

• cattails
    cattails

* The Father, Son, and Spirit are EQUAL in Nature, Essence, Attributes, Qualities, Power, Knowledge, etc.

* The Son took on flesh, and became 100% Human in addition to being 100% God. That is why He had certain human limitations while He was on earth.

So according to those two there was a time when they weren't EQUAL in Power since Jesus "had certain human limitations while He was on earth".

Do I get some kind of prize for finding out there is no such thing as an Eternal EQUAL Trinity?

• cattails
  • John 13:16 , Jesus said, "The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. Jesus said on numerous occasions that, "the Father… hath sent me."(John 5:37,6:37) The Holy Ghost was also sent by the Father(John 14:26) and Jesus(John 16:7,13), thus making Jesus inferior to the Father and the Holy Ghost inferior to both the Father and Jesus.
  • John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another comforter, that he may abide with you forever; even the spirit of truth."
  • John 17:1-3 Jesus prays to God.
  • Hebrews 2:17,18 Hebrews 3:2 Jesus has faith in God.
  • Acts 3:13 Jesus is a servant of God.
  • Mark 13:32 Revelation 1:1 Jesus does not know things God knows.
  • John 4:22 Jesus worships God.
  • Revelation 3:12 Jesus has one who is God to him.
  • 1stCorinthians 15:28 Jesus is in subjection to God.
  • 1stCorinthians 11:1 Jesus' head is God.
  • Hebrews 5:7 Jesus has reverent submission, fear, of God.
  • Acts 2:36 Jesus is given lordship by God.
  • Acts 5:31 Jesus is exalted by God.
  • Hebrews 5:10 Jesus is made high priest by God.
  • Philippians 2:9 Jesus is given authority by God.
  • Luke 1:32,33 Jesus is given kingship by God.
  • Acts 10:42 Jesus is given judgment by God.
  • Acts 2:24 , Romans 10.9 , 1 Cor 15:15 "God raised [Jesus] from the dead".
  • Mark 16:19 , Luke 22:69 , Acts 2:33 , Romans 8:34 Jesus is at the right hand of God.
  • 1 Tim 2:5 Jesus is the one human mediator between the one God and man.
  • 1 Cor 15:24-28 God put everything, except Himself, under Jesus.
  • Philippians 2:6 Jesus did not believe being one with God was possible
  • Matthew 27:46 : "Around the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, saying "Eli Eli lama sabachthani?" which is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?""
  • Mark 15:34 : "And at the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, "Eloi Eloi lema sabachthani?" which is translated, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
  • Chalam
    Chalam

Hi yknot,

I just don't get it. Why does God need functional subordination? How is Jesus a 'son'? If he wasn't created did God-Father split and divide into seperate cells? While a man can be a father, a son, and an uncle at the same time......he can't be those to himself. I am not trying to argue or deride your POV, I just don't get the appeal or rationality. Arianism is a face value interpretation, it simplicity isn't burdensome nor mysterious (okay I will allow for the whole beget thing without a wifey)....but still a lot less problematic.

OK start here

Philippians 2:5-8 (New International Version)

5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in very nature [ a ] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    7 but made himself nothing,
    taking the very nature [ b ] of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    8 And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    and became obedient to death—
    even death on a cross!

What was the point of the temptation of Jesus? If he had chosen to bow down to Satan what would have happened to this triune equation? If he wasn't able to fail, again what was the point of the event?

Hebrews 10:1-22 (New International Version)

Christ's Sacrifice Once for All
    1 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. 2 If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. 3 But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins, 4 because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
    "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
    but a body you prepared for me;
    6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings
    you were not pleased.
    7 Then I said, 'Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
    I have come to do your will, O God.' " [ a ] 8 First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made). 9 Then he said, "Here I am, I have come to do your will." He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God. 13 Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool, 14 because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:
    16 "This is the covenant I will make with them
    after that time, says the Lord.
    I will put my laws in their hearts,
    and I will write them on their minds." [ b ] 17 Then he adds:
    "Their sins and lawless acts
    I will remember no more." [ c ] 18 And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin. 19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

Also here

1 John 3:1-5 (New International Version)

1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, [ a ] we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3 Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.

4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.

And here

Hebrews 7:23-28 (New International Version)

23 Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; 24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25 Therefore he is able to save completely [ a ] those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

26 Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. 27 Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. 28 For the law appoints as high priests men who are weak; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever.

Does salvation really hinge on this interpretational understanding over acceptance of Christ?

Yes. Either Jesus is the perfect sacrifice by which we enter or not. Either way, salvation is a free gift Ephesians 2:8 and you need to take it, not leave it unopened and unloved.

All the best,

Stephen

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I hate the trinity doctrine. If God is a trinity then he can bite me and damn me to perdition. The next person who walks up to me and says "Trinity" gets decked.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

There is a nice example that can help us to understand Trinity.

We have the Sun and from the Sun comes out the Light and Heat. The Sun is the Source for the other 2 Elements and without the Sun they cannot exist. We feel the Heat and see the Light, both Elements are Part of the Sun, they originate from the Sun. We do not seperate the Light from the Heat and the Source(star). We take those 3 Elements as One.

So with the same logic we understand Trinity. The same with the Father. The Father(Sun)is the source for Logos(Light) and Holy Spirit(Heat) and they co-exist. But Father he is Higher than the rest 2 only in a matter of the Source. So we have indeed One God with 3 substances.

When Arius the heretic Bishop tried to pass his idea, that it was illogic to have 3 Gods in One, Bishop Spyridon from Cyprus he explained in a very simple gesture that Arius was wrong: He took a roof clay in his hand and squeeze it. Then it was separated in 3 pieces, Water, Fire, Mud. Fire went up, Water fell on the floor, and Mud remained in the hands of the Saint. Although we have one Element it is made of 3 substances.

JustHuman14 formely known justhuman

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit