is it really worth trying to change their minds?

by homeschool 23 Replies latest jw friends

• homeschool
    homeschool

After reading Steven Hassan's book, I really believe the jw's are in a high mind control group, like so many other cult-like religions. One point stuck out to me though....Hassan said he will not do interventions if the purpose is selfishly motivated. I don't know why, but it's made me question some things. I look at my jw sister, who is OBviously mind controlled but she believes she's happy (although she has depression problems). is it worth it for me to try to get the "truth" to her about the religion that has lied to her for her whole life? What happens if she realizes what I'm trying to tell her? then she's gotta go through all the hatred and hurt that we all have gone through. Should I just leave it alone?

I'm not going to lie. I think one of my main reasons for wanting to show her the "truth"(or anybody else in my jw family) is that i'm not the one who is wrong and I do not have rebellious thinking and such.

• done4good
    done4good

There is nothing wrong with planting "seeds", but it is she that has to want to see the Borg for what it is.

My experience tells me it is best to live a happy life yourself, and let those on the outside see the improvement having left the borg makes in your life.

When they are ready, they will come.

j

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother is 65 and my father is 68. Do I think it's really worth it to try and show them the truth about the lie? No matter how much it kills me that they are in a dangerous cult I won't go there with them. First they won't believe me, second they will really have nothing to do with me (even though that would be a godsend), and third because they have been in it so long and have that deeply engrained church paranoia they would have no place else to go.

For me it's just not worth it. But if they ever show me an inkling of doubt about the bOrg I might change my mind.

Josie

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I have some older relatives that have been JWs for 50-55 years. It is their life. I would never try to show them anything about the false cult they are in. That would hurt them so much. Now if they ever indicated to me they were having doubts that would be different. But I wouldn't bring in up to them. I just live my own life outside of JWs and try to show them that I live a happy fulfilling life.

• steve2
    steve2

My view is Live and let live. I think it is a shame that some ex-JWs have simply swapped one prosletyzing religion for another and now feel the need to get people out of the religion. Besides being hugely disrespectful of people's rights to make their own choices, their efforts are usually counter-productive - simply "proving" to the JWs that they are being persecuted for God's name.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I think the above posters are correct, it's very difficult to change the minds or even plant little seeds with older entrenched JW's, like most of our parents. I have made some inroads with friends more my age who are already a little disgruntled and trying to raise kids in that organization. Some of them listen to seeds, however most of them are so asleep they don't even notice stuff like the anointed number going up or the new article in the 6/15 WT. They just keep going along, albeit miserable.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Hassan talks about how REWARDING it is to free someone from a destructive mind control cult.

Besides being hugely disrespectful of people's rights to make their own choices

Hassan in no way encourages this. He teaches you how to empower people to think for themselves. He believes, as I do, that JWs did not voluntarily give up their freedom to WT. It was a subtle, power mind control at play.

If you help a person to see that they're standing in a pot of boiling water, you'll never have to suggest that they step out. That course of action will be self-evident, and they will proceed on their own.

My view is Live and let live.

I would consider myself a hypocrite if I didn't attempt to warn about what I've escaped. How could I feel so strongly about the loss of Liberty that those in WT have suffered and just be quiet about it? I cannot.

As with Hassan and Randy Watters' latest efforts, I have no desire to steer individuals to a NEW religion. They can decide for themselves if they'd like a new faith. This is totally unrelated to freeing them from the Watchtower slavery.

All of this being said, there is another issue at play...

Hassan candidly admits, and many of us have found this to be TRUE: If the cult member is truly HAPPY, it will likely be impossible to empower them to think for themselves.

That is the cold, hard reality.

Most people can ony have an awakening when some pain/discomfort triggers their ability to think critically. If there is a REASON that they think they would he happier OUTSIDE of WT, then you may be able to reach them.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Thanks to all of you. Very good comments. Leavingwt, I thought I was happy too, until I realized that Christmas and Birthdays made me REALLY happy. And I thought I was happy...until someone who really WAS happy showed me what happiness is. I guess I'll just do what everybody above mentions....throwing subtle comments here and there. The main people I am concerned about are under 35 years old. While I would LOOOOOve to change my parent's minds, I realize it's probably not gonna happen. So that's my 2 cents

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have long term dub family too...I have tried to point out what I know, but they only get angry and view it as the crazy attitude of a Satans disciple.

So I leave them alone now...but if I had opportunity to help a younger or newer dub who might respond? I would view it as my duty to tell them what I know, in the most tactful way, so they may not waste their life..

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    Besides being hugely disrespectful of people's rights to make their own choices, their efforts are usually counter-productive - simply "proving" to the JWs that they are being persecuted for God's name.

With respect, how much do you know about cult mind control? Talking about a cult member making their own choice is an oxymoron.

I am not in favour of heavyhanded tactics such as picketing conventions and memorials. As LWT outlined above, eithical cult exit counselling is about reactivating people's critical thinking skills and helping their mind to operate beyond the confines that the cult has placed it in. Ethical counsellors will not impose their own spiritual beliefs on a patient but will help them to explore their own spirituality and come to their own conclusions.

So far as people being "too old", I think it depends entirely on the individual.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit