is it really worth trying to change their minds?

by homeschool 23 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    I think one of my main reasons for wanting to show her the "truth"(or anybody else in my jw family) is that i'm not the one who is wrong and I do not have rebellious thinking and such.

I understand.

I think your own words show a common frame of reference among many ex JW's... When you learn that we are the sane ones, it can make you very angry to know how you are portrayed by them.

Hassan said he will not do interventions if the purpose is selfishly motivated.

It's a great point. It can't be for the family. Someone will only leave a cult like JW's when what they get out of it has become of less value then what is out there.

There are a ton of JW's who probably think that this is crap. So what keeps them in? What they get out of it. Whether it be bethelites, missionaries, elders, whatever, they must be willing to give up what they perceive is of value before they can really exit.

Until that time, a JW is trained to deal with "opposition" and thus it is usually a waste of time to bother trying to help someone or save someone who is really indoctrinated at the moment.

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

I am a big believer in giving people information so they can make an informed decision. Obviously in this religion, this is risky business but I feel compassion for the friends and am seeking appropriate opportunities to get them thinking.

If the situation was reversed and they had the info, I would want them to seek ways to share this with me - despite my "blinkered" thinking - that would only be fair if they were true friends.

Once they are exposed to the information, what they choose from that point forward is their business - but at least its an informed decision!

If only somebody was kind enough to tactfully prompt my thinking - It's a rude awakening when you read "Crisis of Conscience" and "In search of Christian Freedom" in the space of 6 weeks...

• Spook
    Spook

I recommend NOT taking them seriously. The whole notion of reasoning with the deeply converted doesn't make sense to me. Those who are more independant minded are good targets here for serious "ideas" - knew a few elders / pioneers who stepped down b/c they disagreed with politics, etc. But in general, I don't give respect to things just because people believe them.

I try to shame them, and in general act as if their ideas are just as preposterous.

"Right, you can have blood fractions, but not blood. So, you can eat a peanut, a cashew or an almond, but not a handful of mixed nuts? Makes perfect sense."

If anyone thinks this is cruel, I disagree. I won't afford others intellectual respect they don't themselves afford me. If they spread magazines which call the godless "fools" for not knowing Jehovah, I have no problem calling them fools for once distributing magazines where the heart was described as a literal organ of emotions.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can reason people out until and unless you change their social situation and environment.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I've been wondering this ame question. I tried persuading my wife over the weekend to no avail. So, I am going to have to side with Gary buss on this, "do not get onto a pissing match with a skunk.'

All it caused was heartache and division.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit