My JW Life... (LONG)

by silent 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi silent,

Glad you liked the verses :) Here's some more

I've had a MASSIVE cloud lift from me and I'm starting to feel joy and love in my heart that I've *NEVER* felt before.

1 John 4:7-21 (New International Version)

God's Love and Ours
    7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

13 We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. 16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
    God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 17 In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

19 We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

All the best,

Stephen

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

G'day Silent, so glad to have you here alive and one piece! I enjoyed your life story and can certainly relate to some parts.

Mattieu.

• thomas15
    thomas15

Silent, Some story you have. It is the kind of thing that I have to read several times to get the full impact. I always try to mention when I reply to a post that I'm not now nor never been a JW so I cannot fully understand your situation.

While I was reading your story I do find parallels to my life though. I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers and as we are all adults now and most have familys it is interesting to see where we are spiritually these days. One of my sisters is hard core Catholic, another is New Age, the third is what I would call secular humanist but she has no real set beliefs, just a big ego. One of my brothers is Darwin the other is trying to be agnostic but is easy to talk to about religion. That leaves me, the Bible Believeing born again Christian. It should be noted that my parents gave us little instruction in religion while growing up, but we are all over the map as adults.

As a kid though I always had an inner respect and or couriosity about religion and the Bible. I wanted to read the Bible as a kid but didn't have the courage to ask my parents for one and when I started making money on my own I didn't just buy one because I thought my family would think I was nuts for just going out and buying a Bible. My oldest sister was baptised in the Baptist church and they gave her a Bible and I thought that was how a person went about getting one, join a church, get baptised and get your Bible.

When I left home for college at age 18, one of the first things I did was buy a Bible. Within 3 weeks of arriving on campus I started reading and attending church with some of my new college friends. There is a lot more to the story but my thinking has always been that the Bible is the manual of religion and faith and for some reason I never had to be convinced by anyone that faith and practice should be measured by what the Bible teaches and nothing else. So to this day, 35 years later I have many big thick books on "religion" and theology and I actually read them. I find it amusing that the WT will not tolerate members reading and studying other theologies or just the Bible alone because for me at least, the more I read about the cults and other christian belief systems, the firmer I stand with my beliefs which I would classify as evangelical, conservative Bible Believing in Jesus by faith alone in God's grace alone.

I commend you Silent for you honesty and candor. I pray that you find peace and inner happiness. I can tell you that it is in the Bible but you must find this out for yourself, "for by grace you have been saved through faith, this not of yourself, it is a gift of God, not by works least no man should boast" Eph 2:8-9

Take care,

Tom

• snowbird
    snowbird

Silent, I, too, want to welcome you to the board and commend you for your honesty and sincerity.

I am a Bible believer, and I firmly believe the Father and Son are going to come and dwell among us.

When? No one can say, but that is my hope and the hope of millions of others.

It was so good to read your inspiring story.

The best to you.

Sylvia

• silent
    silent

I want to thank you all for your kind words. I really appreciate it. I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately and trying to make sure I'm doing things right as much as possible. Amongst many different paths of thought that have crossed my mind is that #1 - I want to do what Jehovah wants me to do. And since he is the Happy God, then I must feel happiness in what I'm doing. #2 - Satan's taunt was that we would only serve God/Jehovah as long as things were going easy for us or we got what we wanted, etc. I must admit, that when you do get a few nice blessings, it makes it easier to yield to "commands that aren't burdensome."

I've scrutinized myself over and over to make sure that I'm not wanting to take what the Bible says and twist it around so that it feels to good to me. There may be parts that sting the soul a bit when I realize that I've been doing something wrong and so I can and do make adjustments.

I've come to the conclusion that there is way too much dwelling on when the end will come. The fervor to go preach and warn people is at an all-time high - maybe it's close and maybe it isn't but that isn't the point. People have basic needs and Jehovah programmed some basic things into all humans that you need in order to feel happy. If you forsake those needs and basic desires, I don't care what you do, you will feel unhappy and no amount of worship will bring that happiness back. It's just a basic human recipe of certain things you need in order to feel happy. I gave up pretty much everything for the truth. I gave up an education (though part of me didn't want it anyway since the "end" was so close and I was gonna die anyway), gave up (love) finding a mate because all that is out here is elderly widows and mentally ill teens, and I've given up hobbies for the sake of the truth. Surprise, surprise - I've been miserable, suicidal, and on anti-depressants.

What did I do? I started over. I quit service, I quit the TMS, and I don't even put any money in the box. I'm keeping an open mind, making sure to not to conform the bible's teachings to what I want to hear but what I need to hear. It all starts making sense and here is what I've come up with.

1) There is no amount of preaching work, talks, bible study, prayer, elder visits, etc. that will make you happy. It's the putting into practice in YOUR REGULAR DAY TO DAY NON-WORSHIPING PART OF LIFE that makes you happy. (and then you kind of do worship that way too whether you realize it or not - it's a non-formal sort of way)

2) You've got to go out and live your life as best as you can through Bible standards. If you put these standards into practice, you'll see just how smoothly things go and you start being successful as is possible in this system. (and yes, we are in Satan's system but part of his sharade I think, is to make you think some things are bad when in fact they are really good/necessary. You, trying to be Christian, avoid certain things (love, sustenance, food, clothing, a little spending money, etc.), become miserable, and then you kill yourself, leave your faith, lose your faith, etc. - kind of almost like a spiritual calling-your-bluff) Next thing you know, you're quitting the truth or whatever your religion to have the freedom to do the basic things you need in order to be happy. The reality was though, those things were never wrong in the first place but lots of misinformation, religious zealots, fear-mongering, etc. make you think they were wrong.) If we are to be content with food, shelter, and clothing - then you're gonna need a wife to help make the food, you need a job to pay for the house and clothes, etc.) and believe it or not, having a good paying job doesn't mean you love money and are wicked. If you are dedicated to making tons of money and nothing else, then you're just sad, but in this system - having money helps and of course it's okay to have a lots of money as long as you hate it. ;) (LOVE of money is the root of all sorts of injurious things.)

The end result for me has been the following:

1) I'm enrolling in a 2 week trade school in a few months that will better my income. I'm not doing this because I love money and want a mansion. I'm doing it so I can provide for myself and my wife to be.

2) I'm getting married in about a year to a wonderful lady who sees things the way I do.

3) My fiance and I have recently gotten some property and when I'm out there working on it - listening to the birds, the peace, tranquility, it's then that I start having these deep feelings of love and thankfulness to Jehovah for what he's done for us and just how awesome it is to be alive.

4) At this point, I'm starting to feel like I want to talk to people and share this wonderful life of mine. I don't get caught up in the "I'm a Jehovah's Witness." I'm a fellow human being is all I am. The Bible says Jehovah created things and that no bad comes from him. All the bad comes from Satan.

5) And now I actually feel good when I pray and *GASP* I want to pray. I admit I'm a sinner, thank Jehovah for sending his son down here to give me a chance, apologize for my mistakes and bad habits, and just do the best I can.

6) I'm no longer worried and focused on when the end will come. I'm just simply trying to live a balanced life and focusing on being more loving, more human, and just knowing the Jehovah appreciates my efforts, sees my potential, and knows I'm doing this out of a motivated heart. You just can't simply be giving talks, putting money in a box, and going out preaching if you're doing it just because you're told to and everyone else does it. And if you don't feel motivated to do it, then don't. Just remember, your heart will motivate you to do something, whatever it is, sooner or later.

As I keep working at physical things and my spirituality, I'm getting a nice sense of balance. I analyze information as it's provided and try my best to make sense of it. If I'm wrong on some things, well that's fine because Russell was out chasing pyramids at one point and evidently he was someone acceptible to Jehovah. Heck, even some of the people that were guilty for killing Jesus later repented and were accepted. I don't feel a big desire to be a servant, I don't feel a big need to be giving talks, and I need to be in a pleasant, non-confrontational atmosphere when I talk to people about religion. I'm just a human being, who wants to enjoy a simple life, and try his best to live it by Bible standards. The worst thing anyone could ever do is drive themselves into a depressive, mentally-ill fervor out preaching to people and trying to get them to listen to you (while thinking this is how you get into the new world/paradise - it's nothing you can earn - it's a gift from undeserved kindness.) Do you honestly think they are going to take you seriously and even WANT to serve Jehovah, knowing they will end up like that? Not all of them do but a fair few do. This whole mess on the earth isn't my fault. I know whose fault it is, I know whose fault it isn't, and so I'll just be pro-active, do what I need to do to feel good about myself and my life, and to heck with the rest of them. Between my lady and I, that's the view we take. We view life as us, our families, maybe a friend or 2, and Jesus and Jehovah and that's it. We don't socialize hardly at all because it causes problems, therefore we have nothing to be tempted to gossip about, we don't fancy joining an elite door-to-door club or telephone and letter writing witnessing club, we just enjoy our lives, and let the smiles and contentment in our lives open the door for us to talk to others. And we do. And people listen. In the end, all people will simply answer for their actions.

sign me silent

• boyzone
    boyzone

Hi Silent and welcome to the board! I have really enjoyed reading your story which I can SO relate to in many areas. One thing that seems to stand out in your thoughts is your complete change of motive in your worship. You have a different reason for serving God, not fear of armageddon, but out of love, and I think THAT is absolutely paramount here.

One thing the GB don't inspire in people is the right motive to serve. In many instances they are guilted into doing more, or feared into it.

One thing Ray Franz says in his book "iN Search of Christian Freedom" is,

"That Organizational affiliation cannot gain us a favorable judgment is also seen in that we are judged, not by our adherance to organizational rules and directives but "by the law of freedom" That law of freedom is the "royal law" the "supreme law" the "sovereign law" and it is the law of love. We need to ask ourselves continually whether what we do, the very attitudes we take, are genuinely founded in love." pg 637-638

If you haven't read this book yet, I recommend you get it. The chapter on "a congregation of free people" was particularly helpful to me and I'm sure you'd enjoy it too.

Congratulations on coming this far

• Chalam
    Chalam

Thanks for the post, keep 'em coming! I had more goose bumps when reading it :)

Silent-And now I actually feel good when I pray and *GASP* I want to pray. I admit I'm a sinner, thank Jehovah for sending his son down here to give me a chance, apologize for my mistakes and bad habits, and just do the best I can.

Acts 2:21-39 (New International Version)

21 And everyone who calls
    on the name of the Lord will be saved.' [ a ]

22 "Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23 This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, [ b ] put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him. 25 David said about him:
    " 'I saw the Lord always before me.
    Because he is at my right hand,
    I will not be shaken.
    26 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will live in hope,
    27 because you will not abandon me to the grave,
    nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
    28 You have made known to me the paths of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence.' [ c ]

29 "Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, [ d ] that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,
    " 'The Lord said to my Lord:
    "Sit at my right hand
    35 until I make your enemies
    a footstool for your feet." ' [ e ]

36 "Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."

37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

Make sure you ask for the gift! Acts 8:14-16 Acts 19:2 1 Corinthians 6:19 Galatians 3:14

All the best,

Stephen

• silent
    silent

Than You all again. I'm really starting to appreciate this forum. I always thought that dabbling in this sort of forum would make me spiritually week or take me out of the truth but I'm really starting to feel things inside. Sometimes it scares me. I feel guilty for reading posts on this board but I can't help but feel love inside for all peoples. I don't have to love the wicked/bad things they do nor does it make me want to associate with them. It simply makes me more sympathetic to the victims that we all are on this planet. I had a couple of customers come into my store today and I know they have relatives doing hard time in prison. I just frankly asked them how their relative was doing. They at first acted sheepish and ashamed and I just quipped up and said, "The reason I ask is because I care. We all take different paths in life and some of us take a wrong turn or 2 but that doesn't mean I can't still ask how they are doing." I think the people were shocked that I asked. I even spoke with a gentleman who has a terminally ill wife. My fiance and I went to visit them - not as a formal witnesses thing - but simply to take some motorcycle parts over to them earlier this year. We went in and it wasn't long, this terminally ill lady was in tears because we simply cared enough to step in and visit for a half hour. I was even touched and I usually don't cry.

I see now what I've missed so much is the comraderie of fellow human beings who love and act out of love. I used to be on an antique car forum and was quite revered for my writing style. I miss that admiration but since I've left that all behind, I see that part of being human is really acknowledging that we were created with a need to be loved and to give love back. It helps me understand this whole Jehovah/Jesus/religion thing and helps to solidify and secure good human relations in a way that is necessary when you get to live forever.

I'm so sick of the mindset of having to get in hours and this incessant warning message we are told to give out. Yes it is a warning message and it is urgent but human nature just doesn't respond very well to that. It's too Baptisty-like. Yes, in times past that was required but in this case, you have to feel, love, and sympathize with people - befriend them if you will. Think how Jesus talked to people - he was informal, spoke confidently, and people were drawn to him. Showing up at people's doors with a book bag drives them away.

I hope that sometime in the near future, I'll feel more comfortable to reveal who I am and meet some or all of you in person. I'm not here looking to find fault with the GB - I just find that their approach over all these years has left me with a horrific fear complex and I'm still taking my sedatives trying to shake the pictures that were crammed into my head back in the 70s. Because of that, my entire family doesn't go anywhere or do anything out of this subconscious fear. By their own admission, they are imperfect men and so when I see imperfection, I'm going to do my best to try and perfect it and make it something that works starting with myself.

Thanks for your help all. I'm feeling more and more like living everyday and those guns can stay on the shelf at Walmart. :)

sign me silent

• middleman
    middleman

Welcome friend!!!

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

You are no longer "silent".

Posting your story is an act of courage. I know how hard it is to even take that first step.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit