Why did Jehovah create flu viruses?

by jambon1 22 Replies latest jw friends

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

"Nothing in biology makes sense, except for in the light of evolution."

Viruses exist, because they can exist. The fact that virus DNA is often quite similar to the DNA of the creature it infects suggests that viruses may have started as little more than fragments of DNA that became seperated from it's original cell (say the cell was destroyed, and the DNA shattered a bit). Because the DNA fragments still container markers that allow it to align with the DNA in a whole cell, the rules of molecular biology apply, and the fragment could interact with the DNA in a complete cell.

The vast majority of fragments would either be inert (some viruses are so close to the original DNA they do nothing more than self replicate, without affecting the host), do nothing (missing gene markers so the fragment can't align properly with a complete strand), or most likely never come in contact with compatable DNA. On the other hand, the fragments that could interfere with the DNA in a complete cell and cause that cell to replicate that fragment would do so. To assume the virus has some sort of purpose or motive is folly. The virus is just a molecule, doing what molecules do. Because the laws of physics provided the DNA fragments with the potential to reproduce - and because the fragments do contain genes that can change from one generation to the next - natural selection came in to play - and the strains that exist today are the ones that are good at infecting and reproducing.

Viruses could very well be an unavoidable by-product of the way our celluar biology works. (To claim it's "Mother Nature's" defense against aliens is rediculous. Most viruses can only infect a specific species. Furthermore, to assume that other lifeforms would be both carbon based AND employ the same molecular chemistry for individual genes and gene markers is quite a long shot.)

- Lime

• processor
    processor

There is a similar question in German Infolink forum at the moment. Latest Erbrechet! issue contains an article "Bacteria and Parasites Praise Jehovah" (will likely be in June Witchtower). Anyway, that is a question that is really interesting: If God is the one "who created all things", he must have created those germs too.

So, did he create them? If yes, why? Some of them are really clever and perfectly equipped for only one purpose: causing human diseases.

Did Satan create them? If yes, why did Jehovah allow him? According to JW teaching, only Jehovah is a creator.

Did they emerge by evolution? If yes, then men could also emerge by evolution.

That is not a problem for me personally, as I don't believe in Jehovah anymore. But I would really be interested in hearing what believers have to say about that question. Unfortunately, in Infolink, no single of of the believers did reply yet.

• frogit
    frogit

Did Jehovah create anything? This is what Sir David Attenborough said on a similar matter, that he receives hate mail from viewers of his films for failing to credit God in his documentaries. "They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance."

He was asked why he did not give "credit" to God, Attenborough added: "They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds. I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in east Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball. The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs. I find that hard to reconcile with the notion of a divine and benevolent creator..."

Evolution explains this better, all things are fighting for survival, even Viruses, no creator no Jehovah, if Jehovah created that worm and viruses to harm humans, his specilal creation, he must have a wicked and cruel mind, you would not let that happen to your own children would you?

But then again our immune system can fight flu, some will die but humans will survive.

frogit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit