Comparisons between todays Witnesses and those 40 years ago

by truthseeker 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Forty years ago, it seemed like a different world. We only had one Presiding Overseer, if I remember correctly - talking about 1965 here. He was like a father figure to the whole congregation, kind of like a pastor or shepherd, if you will. Took great interest in each and every family in the congregation. Then came the dog and pony show, with rotating elders, rotating servants, rotating antipathies and feuds. Got really bad in the last congregation we were in; 4 or so elders had to physically move out of the territory before the dust settled.

• steve2
    steve2
    I THOUGHT that the witnesses were making a serious effort to understand the bible, and there was a strong emphasis on doctrine. I actually enjoyed the international convention in Vancouver BC.

Me too, JeffT. 40 years ago all of my JW grandparents were still alive, having converted to the Watchtower Society in 1925/26. Leading up to 1975, the was a palpable spirit of end-of-the-system enthusiasm. My maternal grandfather told me that he had never before seen such unmistakable signs that the end of the system was so near.

Over 30 years later, all of my grandparents have long since died, the organizational zeal has vaporized, leaving tired and wornout congregations who neither care nor know what else to do with their disappointed expectations.

• mouthy
    mouthy

mouthy, I am so sorry your daughter does not speak to you anymore, that just breaks my heart to think of it, I would hate for a daughter to do me that way.
    Thanks Screwproof.... I hope you never have to experience that either...

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I am old enough to remember 35 years ago. We would get up at 4 am to work in the cafeteria at Dodger Stadium. We loved it as kids.

I also remember the 1978 Victorious Faith assembly, where we carried those yellow bags and went out witnesses near Dodger Stadium. Thousands of Witnesses out preaching.

Everyone stayed at those Dodger stadium assemblies in the 70's until that final talk usually by brother Halvidjian, and we applauded like crazy for brother Franz's talks. They also used to announce how long the speakers had been in full-time service, usually 30+ years. We were amazed as kids.

When I went to pioneer school in the 80's, there was still a lot of zeal. Two brothers left their jobs to go to pio school. There was a special feeling, especially us younger ones that had "spiritual goals." I remember my family crying for joy when I got accepted to MTS later.

Now? Well, the assemblies are so much smaller. Few take notes, that I see. The talks? No more new light. We always had "new light" years ago.

At Special Assembly days, it seems as if the Bethel speaker is kind of desperate for people to stay "active" in the truth. That may be my impression, but we are no longer bragging like we used to years ago about having the truth. Its like, "hang in there as best you can."

The last new brother accepted to Bethel from our circuit was two years ago.

BF

• steve2
    steve2

The single biggest change between today's witnesses and those of 40 years ago: LOSS OF ZEAL.

• yknot
    yknot

I wasn't around 40 years ago....

But what I have noticed is that the R&F just aren't as motivated, the carrot tugging game has been played for too long and the advantages are few and far between. The clampdown of the 80's ruined social gatherings and all that was left was FS, FS, FS. The demand became too much of a burden, as it was to be the only true joy in our lives. To not feel joy at door knocking meant you were a 'bad, unworthy, weak JW'. The heavy yoke broke most of the members and fudging FS became a way to lighten the ever demanding load.

Also there was reasonable belief by most that the end could be just around the corner, now it is just repeated drivel of a bygone era that really has no significance considering the whole point of the JWs was to proclaim Christ's Kingdom being established in 1914 and the end of this system of things was near...... yeah that was what almost 95 years ago (wait I forgot it wasn't actually changed until 1922- so 87 years). Nothing except GB power is associated with 1914, no generation, no meter toward Armageddon......

Today's GB don't have the advantages of past presidents. People are better educated, information is readily available and as time marches on more begin to ponder if it is worth the effort when the end is not coming and the GB are saying 'we may' instead of boldly proclaiming new light that proves the end is upon us.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Good points, yknot. Also, back then JWs felt they were the only ones that had the End of Times message and they felt an authentic NEED to get that message out door-to-door...urgently!

Heck, everybody believes in the end of time now. Just watch the History channel or listen to some of the preachers on TV. Their message is the same as the one we as JWs thought we were privy to.

• garybuss
    garybuss

In the 50's Witnesses told me I'd never go to high school in this old system because Armageddon would come before 1958. The Witnesses were idiots then, and they're idiots now. The only thing different now is that now there are more of them.

• mouthy
    mouthy

They told me Melanie would never go to Kindergarten
    She died at 42 years after having 3 kids.. Thank God she left the WT

& had a Faith in Jesus

• StAnn
    StAnn

"I also remember the 1978 Victorious Faith assembly, where we carried those yellow bags and went out witnesses near Dodger Stadium. Thousands of Witnesses out preaching."

Bonafide~I was sitting here, trying to remember when that was. 1978! I attended the convention in Cincinnati at Riverfront Stadium and we all were given our territory to work, too. We thought we were something.

And we always kept a JW rag in the window, so that if we had car trouble, another JW would recognize us and stop to help.

Yes, it was an exciting time back in 1974/1975, but for a child as I was, it was an incredibly terrifying time, believing that Armageddon was coming and all of my friends were going to be killed. I cried and cried and became suicidal and started having panic attacks~at the age of 12. Yep, exciting times, all right.

But the cong. picnics were fun. I think it was a huge mistake, getting rid of cong. activities.

St. Ann

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit