Comparisons between todays Witnesses and those 40 years ago

by truthseeker 53 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    It must have been exciting to be a JW 40 years ago. 1975 was only 6 years away. I can imagine how these folks thought that the end was right around the corner. Think about how much popular culture changed between 1964 and 1969.

I wouldn't call it exciting. At least not for me at my age. I was terrified of "the end" because I sensed somehow that I wasn't good enough to be saved. I hoped that they were wrong about 1975. I loved the cultural revolution that was happening and I wasn't even old enough to understand it, but I knew that it was cooler than being a square, clean cut, Bible thumping, doomsday preaching, religious nut.

But for the oldersters of that time, it probably was exciting and interesting. And the revolution(s) of the 60s only confirmed to them that the end was really close. It does seem that after 75, there seemed to be less zealousness on the part of most dubs with only the oldest ones holding out hope for Armageddon before they died.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Another one: The music rocked!!!!...(well, compared to that horrific brown book they have today sung along with a CD)

Kingdom Songs were sung loud and strong and everybody knew them word for word. You didn't even have to look at the songbook because you knew the words and the melody, even us kids! Every congregation had a piano player and depending on her/his level of skill, there was lots of feeling put into the playing and singing of the kingdom songs. Most of the songs had a Chorus that was sung after each verse and some of the brothers and sisters would blend voices and really put their hearts into it. At the beginning of each song, you were told how to sing it:

Song #12 (Green book...pre-purple...pre-brown) Sung resolutely; in moderate march tempo:

Forward! You Witnesses!

"Firm and determined in this time of the end.....He taught them to war and to conquer!....

Chorus: Then forward, you witnesses, ever strong of heart, Rejoice to endure all the battles heat and smart; Be glad that in God's war you too may have a part, Before Satan's host will have perished. Keep preaching, you witnesses, boldly, without fear, Go tell the glad tidings to all who will hear, That all the signs show that the New World is near, That the kingdom of God is established.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I came in as an adult in 1973. There was a lot going on in the world and even a lot of sober minded individuals (not just fundamentalists) wondered what was going on. No one had ever seen anything like Watergate bringing down the US goverement, the economy was a mess and the streets weren't safe.

I THOUGHT that the witnesses were making a serious effort to understand the bible, and there was a strong emphasis on doctrine. I actually enjoyed the international convention in Vancouver BC. Field service seemed like a real attempt to reach people. Working the territory every six months was an actual goal.

Now I see people doing street work by holding up Watchtower and Awake magazines while people walk by. My home has not been contacted in the two+ years we've lived here.

I think the whole thing is running out of energy, and they all know it.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Back in 1958 Yankeestadium, My dad set up the basement so the family lived down there. We had 3 families stay up stairs during the big 1958 Assembly.

My dad had a basement bathroom installed just for this occasion.

We all used one kichen in the morning and then went to the convention. I was seven my other 2 bothers were 5 and 2 years old. When we were driving home from the conventions during those days we would have the lastest book like that orange paridse book in the back window

On the way home every one driving buy would wave and hook at us.

Totaly diferant today.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Yeah, greenhornet, I remember putting the book releases in the back window! I had forgotten about that till now. Remember, when we also had bumper stickers on the car so we could "witness" on our way to the big assemblies. Daddy had to be careful about his less than perfect road manners lest he reproach Jehovah...lol

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes & your parents counted time with the book in the window

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

We travelled from British Columbia Canada,to New York..With an Awake taped to the Back window of our car..I wan`t old enough to be in school at the time..But..I remember that!..LOL!!.........................OUTLAW

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This brings back memories. I did all the above. Stayed in a tent for an 8 day assembly. In the car with the Awake taped to the window. I remember staying in people's homes and my father paying for the room.

I grew up in the 60-70s and graduated HS in 1975. There is no question there was a greater zeal. I remember my mother talking for a long-time (seemed like hours) on the phone with other sisters about the "deep things." We would actually have bible discussions at the doors with people.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Wow, reading all those experiences in the 70s and 80s sounds like you guys were in another world to mine (90s and 2000s).

I think there was more of a family atmosphere back then from what I've read.

Now, it's legal, rigid and boring.

• journey-on
    journey-on

There were NO elders prior to 197?? (Can't remember exactly.) They were SERVANTS! That's right. They were called congregation servants because...guess what!? They served the congregation as: Congregation Servant, Assistant Congregation Servant, Literature Servant, Ministry School Servant, Watchtower Conductor Servant. Then, at some point, they became OVERSEERS! Wow! what a change that was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit