staying awake for over 24 hours...only once for me...you?

by oompa 28 Replies latest jw friends

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Oh... And everything becomes HILARIOUS after about 18 hours...

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

I did it once, during a concluding prayer at a district convention.....

Mattieu

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I did it not too infrequently when I went to college, staying up all night working on papers. The weird thing would be when you start dreaming while awake — could be a little distracting while working. Once I stayed up two nights in a row and the next day I was so exhausted that when I forced myself to still work at one point I couldn't read; I saw the characters but didn't process them. That lasted about five minutes. Another time I stayed up all night and the night next when I was sleeping I woke up with a horrible leg cramp and then felt like throwing up and went blind for about two minutes — I joke you not! I became lost in my own room...the freakiest thing was turning on the lights and seeing nothing but static. Later I realized it was because of my low blood pressure combined with sudden exertion and dehydration.

I'm glad those college days are behind me. Sleep is very important for normal functioning. Now it is 1am and I am off to bed! :)

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I've only ever done it in my partying days.

Paul

• poppers
    poppers

I was in the hospital about a year ago and went 100 straight hours without sleep. Sleeping pills had no effect.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I've done a few all nighters - some by choice others not. I stay pretty together but when the fade does come I'm dead to the world.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I would have to say that being up for 24 hours is becoming a regular thing for me. Since last year I have been up over 36 hours at a time over a dozen times. 24 hours probably triple that number. Pain gets old....

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I work in a jail. I start at 10:30 pm.

They think nothing several times a month to send me to the hospital guarding a prisoner 20 hours straight.

From the time I get up and start till I get home and finish is over 24 hours.

Maybe thats why they have gone through hundreds of officers since I started.

Even in a recession, they hire people with double masters degrees and they cant cut it.

The joys of working in a republican no union screw the worker state.

I dont like staying up 24 hours, I hate it but it pays the bills.

I have read a lot Bikers like Sonny Barger of the Hells angels and lots of hippie musicans from the

60's would stay up 3 or 4 days without any sleep because they liked the way it felt.

Many times I have worked a double shift starting on a Thursday night come home load

my guitar and ampliphier and played music till 2 am Saturday morning with out sleeping.

I've known a lot of musicians that work long hours and stay up all night making music.

I hate working a double shift more than anything, but after its done I feel strong

like I could do anything.

At the jail I work at I've met a lot of people that tell me they only sleep 2 hours a day.

At the same time I've known 24 year old officers to have heart attacks and strokes.

• Descender
    Descender

I had a friend, in fact I still have him as a friend. He lived in Los Angeles back then (14 years ago), I lived in Arkansas. We were both JW's. He was a greaser then and he still is. Everyone still calls him Elvis to this day because he wears a greased pompadour hair style. Anyway, one evening, on a whim, after already staying awake all day, he decided to drive straight through from L.A. to Arkansas. He got to Arkansas the next night, about 21 hours later.

When he got to Arkansas, he'd already been awake for around 30 hours and that was a Thursday night. So he stayed awake all night and helped my friend mow lawns the next day on Friday. On Friday night, we decided we'd stay up with him to help him along in his quest for ultimate sleep deprivation. The next morning we went out in service and he was getting pretty loopy. He was looking pretty beat but he wasn't ready to sleep yet. After service, we went out to the lake and did some wake boarding and that evening we did a little drinking and watched a movie. I lived in an apartment that was attached to a detached garage next to my parents house and he decided to spend the night there on Saturday night.

I told him I was going to sleep because I'd been up for a long time and was feeling pretty beat and I had to be up to go to the meeting the next morning. He said he was going to continue his quest. So he sat down in the office chair I had in my small apartment to watch TV. He started talking to the person on TV as if they were really there and then, as if he's been shot, he stiffly fell off the chair onto the floor and that was it. His quest for ultimate sleep deprivation had ended at somewhere around 80 hours. I put a blanket over him and put a pillow under his head, that was Saturday night, and that's where he stayed until I left for work on Monday morning. When I got home on Monday afternoon, he was gone.

• Robdar
    Robdar

It usually takes being awake for 3 days straight before I hallucinate. I had that happen while I was going through my divorce. Lost lots of weight too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit