Leolaia, slimboyfat et al. - how difficult?

by TheOldHippie 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• besty
    besty

I think everyone is entitled to state their concept of salvation - only a fundie idiot could classify certain respondents as ' the wrong people' - it don't get any more judgemental than that....

For salvation click here if you want to be a Christian, here for Muslim and here for Hindu.

PM me for more irrational salvation ideas :-)

• abbagail
    abbagail

thomas 15 said:

Look here for the Gospel in 4 verses...1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Simple words, easy concept, few takers.

Amen to that. You hit the nail on the head.

1000+

Paul's epistles are the place to be...

5. Seated

4. Ascended

3. Raised

2. Buried

1. Crucified

He dwelt on legalism for the sake of the Jews whose brains needed to be untwisted on the subject, and also for the Gentiles who didn't know any better and were being overrun and deceived by Judaizers.

Otherwise, it's all a piece of cake. Simple Grace.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well it has taken me a while to come down from the frisson of excitement of being mentioned in the same breath as Leolaia.

I would just say that for me personally my interest in debating about the Bible initially was to prove that the Witnesses were right. But now I don't have a belief in the Bible or a strong belief in God any more any interest I retain in issues of Bible interpretation is more curiosity that anything else. Also Leolaia and Narkissos make trying to understand the Bible interesting whether you believe the pursuit will lead to salvation or not, and it's good fun to try and join in the discussion sometimes. So basically I personally don't make any claim that any of what I say will help anyone get salvation in any sense. We could as well be discussing the German Sonderweg or the causes of the French Revolution - although it might be more difficult to get many here excited about those issues.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Want a simple (not necessarily easy) "way of salvation"? -- "Stop judging and you won't be judged."

That is the best answer on salvation I have ever heard. A Christian is generally too caught up in faith or faith-with-works or faith-with-works-whilst-belonging-to-the-one-true-organization discussions to notice the simplicity in that verse.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

Of course, lack of judgmentalismh is a great thing but does it actually lead to salvation? I believe not, but you might find that judgmental!

Principally, I let the bible speak for itself. If it speaks to you then all well and good, if it doesn't then no problem, I cannot make it do that.

For some it might touch a raw nerve, don't worry, it does that to me too! Also, it is there to build us up as well as correct us.

2 Timothy 3:16 (New Century Version)

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for showing people what is wrong in their lives, for correcting faults, and for teaching how to live right.

I had a little discussion in a thread recently to Narkissos regarding the issue of what the bible is for. My point of view is that it is more than just a history book with a nice collection of stories and ideas. To me it is living, active and breathes life.

Salvation is simple. This is arguably the most famous verse in the whole bible and contain the good news in one hit.

John 3:16 (Contemporary English Version)

16 God loved the people of this world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who has faith in him will have eternal life and never really die.

How simple is salvation? That easy, believe in Jesus and you will be saved, every child can grasp that and adult too :)

So my will is that people do not die but are saved and come to life, in this life and the next.

My fear is that there are those who are like those here

2 Timothy 3:7 (New International Version)

7 always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.

Jesus puts it plainly here

Matthew 16:26 (New International Version)

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

All the best,

Stephen

• possible-san
    possible-san

Chalam,

Probably, almost people who are in this forum (ex-Jehovah's Witnesses) knows well the Scriptures which you quote.
    After knowing them well, they have been expressing their own opinions.

Even if you quote many Scriptures, ex-Jehovah's Witnesses are never surprised.
    It is because they already know well the Scriptures which you quote.

P.S.
    About 2 Timothy 3:7, you should apply it to yourself, IMHO.
    Though you are a Christian, you state the incorrect opinion even about the Trinity.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/172746/1/NWT-KIT-Prove-Jesus-IS-Jehovah

possible
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/pages/other/hyoushi.html

• middleman
    middleman

Notice how our buddy San never seems to add to the thread, but more so to hi-jack it? God forbid that he would ever actually comment about the topic. NIIIIIIIICE!!!

• middleman
    middleman

I think Leolaia has a great approach to this. Also how Chalam put it, that salvation is a very simple concept. If it was all about "knowledge", then many/most/all of us would be in BIG trouble. Faith like a child is where it's at...knowledge is good but faith and relationship is better.

Blessings...

• possible-san
    possible-san

About Mr. middleman, I commented as follows.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/174104/4/Nehemia-Gordon-and-the-pronunciation-of-the-tetragrammaton

If someone has an opinion to me about the way to deal that problem, I will listen to it.

I like next C.T. Russell's word very much.
    If you stop to kick at every dog that barks at you, you’ll never get very far.

possible

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

I was just reading my bible, not thinking of this thread and these verses came right off the page. I think it speaks for itself and is more than apt.

Ecclesiastes 12:11-12 (New International Version)

11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one Shepherd. 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.
    Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

The first couple of verse here talk of the same, Jesus is our Shepherd and His Spirit teaches us. Avoid strife and arguments (sound reasoning is fine IMHO).

That is why I try not to rise to the bait of some posts :)

1 Timothy 6:3-5 (New International Version)
    3 If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth

Regarding knowledge, we need to check our motives. Love must be THE motivating factor for the Christian.

1 Corinthians 8:1-3 (New International Version)

1 Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2 The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3 But the man who loves God is known by God.

Let us not die though lack of knowledge of God

Hosea 4:6 (New International Version)

6 my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge.
    "Because you have rejected knowledge

There is one way to know God and that is through His son, Jesus.

John 10:14-16 (New International Version)

14 "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

John 14:6-9 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know [ a ] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

8 Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."

9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit