Our Eyes Are Wired Backwards For a Good Reason

by cofty 13 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

It is often said that our retinas are are an example of sub-optimal design.

A few years ago I was intrigued by a passing comment in one of Nick Lane's to the effect that this is not a good argument but he didn't go into much detail.

Researchers at Leipzig have revealed the role of glial cells in transmitting light from the surface of the retina to the cones, acting like fiber-optic cables.

Erex Ribak has built a model of the eye and demonstrated some fascinating details...

So, the question is - does this reflect good "design" or a retro-fitted repair like the Hubble Telescope's glasses?

• prologos
    prologos
    No matter what difficulties are encountered by life forms, like an awkward design ( no direct action meant), the mutation-happy setup, --that is open to even incorporate outside genetic material-- will come up with a variant that will prove to be a successful fix.-- Like a Hubble repair already build- in from the word "--go--!
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102011009?q=retina&p=par

A rare example of where the magazines have presented a direct rebuttal of an evolutionary scientific argument.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Interesting.

There are however other apparent design flaws. For example the blood vessels are in front of the retina. Even in healthy eyes these impede the path of some of the light reaching the rods and cones, resulting in slightly diminished visual efficiency. Admittedly not a major issue.

The positioning of these capillaries in some medical conditions can cause significant problems. For example if you suffer from diabetes. It is common for long term diabetics to develop diabetic retinopathy. This occurs as a response to a lack of oxygen. The retina creates chemical signals that tell the blood vessels to proliferate in order to increase the blood supply to compensate for the lack of oxygen. Because the blood vessels are situated on top of the retina, the increased density of capillaries significantly reduces the clarity of vision to the point of extreme partial sightedness.

Another issue is that the blood vessels positioned in front of the retina means that even a small hemorrhage can result in loss of sight.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cantleave, your comments seem to imply that since living organisms have "apparent design flaws" they are not designed.

You then site the example of "the blood vessels positioned in front of the retina," stating that, "even a small hemorrhage can result in loss of sight."

If by this you mean to imply that the structure of the eye could not be designed, then I must point out that your logic fails.

This would be analogous to saying that since my radiator hose sprung a leak and my engine blew up, clearly none of it was designed.

Am I reading into your statements something you did not intend? If so, what is your purpose in pointing out the obvious fact that complex living organisms often have parts break?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cofty: So, the question is - does this reflect good "design" or a retro-fitted repair like the Hubble Telescope's glasses?

In either instance, intelligence was involved.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

konceptual99: A rare example of where the magazines have presented a direct rebuttal of an evolutionary scientific argument.

In the konceptual99 referenced, the WTBTS quoted a notable apostate, Jerry Bergman!

“If the pigment epithelium tissue were placed in front of the retina, sight would be seriously compromised,” wrote biologist Jerry Bergman and ophthalmologist Joseph Calkins."

Paul Grundy writes about Bergman on his JWFacts page about mental illness

The following excerpts are summarized quotes from PARADISE POSTPONED...AND POSTPONED: Why Jehovah's Witnesses Have a High Mental Illness Level. Jerry Bergman has researched and written extensively about Jehovah's Witnesses. As a former Witness his findings may be considered biased, however the reasoning he provides merits consideration.

Strange! No?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Cantleave, your comments seem to imply that since living organisms have "apparent design flaws" they are not designed. You then site the example of "the blood vessels positioned in front of the retina," stating that, "even a small hemorrhage can result in loss of sight." If by this you mean to imply that the structure of the eye could not be designed, then I must point out that your logic fails.

There is no failure in my logic at all. Design by natural selection is a valid term, I was not referring to intelligent design. It might help if you made familiarized yourself with the terminology of the biological sciences.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cantleave, I am familiar with the terminology you used. I think it is a poor one and find that many biologists avoid its use as it is often misleading.

Nevertheless, I was seeking clarification because the thrust of your post was unclear.

No need to be an insulting twit about it.

• cantleave
    cantleave

No need to be an insulting twit about it.

It was not my intention to insult, and I am far from a twit!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit