Our Eyes Are Wired Backwards For a Good Reason

by cofty 13 Replies latest social current

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Here is the differance: my car radiator wasnt supposed to be designed by an all knowing creator who should have been able to do better.

Furthur it isnt a design flaw that causes radiator leaks but normal wear and tear since rubber hoses dont self repair like our bodies.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Morpheus: it isnt a design flaw that causes radiator leaks but normal wear and tear since rubber hoses dont self repair like our bodies.

My point.

The same thing with blood vessels that occasionally rupture (minus the sometimes self-repair part).

The fact that things--even biological things--break down is not evidence of "flaws" by design or otherwise.

• maksutov
    maksutov
    I don't think any evolutionist would suggest that apparent design flaws prove there is no designer, just that they are not entirely consistent with an all-knowing designer whose works are perfect. It is not possible to prove there is no designer, as the existence of a designer is not falsifiable. Evolution is a well established scientific theory with an overwhelming amount of supporting evidence and does not rely on weak and subjective arguments such as whether or not something seems to have been designed.
  • cofty
    cofty

I think everybody on the thread so far is on the same page.

I posted it because I have had reservations about the "backwards retina" argument for some time and I came across this new research very recently.

The evolution of the eye is very well understood and every step in the process can be observed in action in the living world. Even the evolution of colour vision has been deciphered at a genetic level.

Sub-optimal design is a valid argument against creationism - my personal favourite is the recurrent laryngeal nerve - but I think there are grounds for caution in using this example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit