Ray Franz on Fear Among JWs

by compound complex 44 Replies latest social humour

• compound complex
    compound complex

To this day, in all countries, any persons among Jehovah's Witnesses who find they cannot conscientiously support fully the organization's teachings or practices live in a climate of fear, feeling they must constantly be on guard as to what they say, what they do, what they read, with whom they associate, from whom they receive letters, not feeling any sense of freedom even when among personal friends or close relatives if these are also Witnesses. As stated, in my personal experience I have had people phone who were afraid to give their name or who felt it necessary to use a fictitious name, some who even felt it necessary to take out a special post office box to be able to correspond without danger of their correspondence with me or other former Witnesses being discovered. They face a form of "hostage" situation, produced by the organization's authority. The only way to avoid this is to meet the terms the organization lays down.

IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM, Ray Franz, pages 383, 384

• compound complex
    compound complex

The picture presented is not overdrawn. The experiences related here are only a small fraction of all that could be given, for an entire book could be filled with them. They exemplify the thinking produced, the attitude developed, by an organization that is willing to use what amounts to "thought control" to maintain a "sterile" atmosphere within its membership. Strongly based, solid teachings do not need such a sterile atmosphere - where open discussion is decried as heretical, treasonous - in order to survive. Truth has the strength to confront error. Its validity and worth are in the end enhanced by such confrontations. It is only fragile, weakly supported teachings that are so lacking in powers of resistance that their ability to survive demands being protected from having to endure a testing of their strength.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I love Ray, he always just hits the nail on the head.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, PWP:

So right you are! Thank you for your reply ...

CoCo

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    CoCo's post of Dear Ray's quote: They face a form of "hostage" situation, produced by the organization's authority.

Dear Heavens how true this is. I am one of those still living in the "closet" about my spiritual beliefs, due to an overwhelming fear of losing those I love too dearly.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

When I first read COC in either 1998 or 1999 it created my own COC. It took me a few more years to break completely away. Ray really knew what he was talking about because thousands who are still captive have that fear.

Thank you Ray for all you have done. I have searched and finally found my Christian Freedom.

HappyDad

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I was listening to stories on NPR this morning about political prisoners in Iran, people who have been imprisioned for saying things that were not allowed in that religious state. And I thought to myself how it is similiar to the state of fear jws live under.

Josie

• flipper
    flipper

COCO- Good thread bro . Very true that the WT society and ALL mind control cults implement fear into controlling their members. The WT society uses fear and guilt to keep members under control. Very sad. How are you friend ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Thank you Ray for all you have done. I have searched and finally found my Christian Freedom.

Yep, and doesn't it taste good?

• Chalam
    Chalam

It is only fragile, weakly supported teachings that are so lacking in powers of resistance that their ability to survive demands being protected from having to endure a testing of their strength.

Word of a man of God. John says the same in verse 5 about Jesus.

John 1:1-5 (English Standard Version)

John 1
    The Word Became Flesh
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. All the best, Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit