I Just Did the Math!

by journey-on 16 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

I know a dear 'sister', 60 yrs. old, who has been a faithful witness all her life. If she put in just 10 hrs./mo. in service, attended all 5 meetings weekly, went to all her circuit and district assemblies, this alone would add up to about 28,800 hrs. This does not take into account any Bible Studies, personal study, family study, or the few times she auxilary pioneered. She has placed thousands of pieces of literature and every word out of her mouth is about Jehovah and His organization. She has had studies who attended a meeting or two before they lost interest and quit, but, she has NEVER ever brought anyone into the truth! (I use that term loosely.)

Is this just time wasted doing busy work? What is the real purpose? How really could anyone consider that service to God?

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

In my opinion it's a waste, certainly. But when you believe in something so ardently, it's never a waste to YOU to promote it. I bet if you asked her about her 28,000 wasted hours, she'd say it was the very best use of her time. It's all about perspective.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Ok, so for a 92 year old sister, I guess that's 1/3 more hours than you've calculated there...man, what a waste....

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I've been attending an Alpha Course every Tuesday evening for 10 weeks. Including dinner, each sessions lasts about 2.5 hours. In this present course at least 1 person that I know of (and there were around 7 non-Christians who started the course) has become a Christian.

During the last course (and there were only 5 non-Christians attending that one) 4 became Christians.

So, 50 hours of Christian fellowship and instruction and at least 6 people have come to faith in Christ and are regularly attending church and speaking to others about their faith.

No door knocking was involved.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

journey: Is this just time wasted doing busy work?

Billy: Yes. But sometimes not even very busy, just "time wasted".

journey: What is the real purpose?

Billy: It's an attempt to recruit more cult members and an effort to retain obedient cult members.

journey: How really could anyone consider that service to God?

Billy: By continuously "studying" Botchtower litteratrash, and associating with people who encourage such activities, one is lead to believe that it is the most important work that will be completed in the twentieth twenty-first century.

B the X

• Chalam
    Chalam

Proverbs 11:30 (New International Version)

30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life,
    and he who wins souls is wise.

Tell her to muse upon this verse from Proverbs and then ask herself if she really is the living by faith in Jesus or the WT?

Galatians 2:20-21 (New International Version)

20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

All the best,

Stephen

• Amazing
    Amazing

If God wants someone to heart 'truth' and follow Jesus ... he will lead that person to a Christian ... just as God brought the animals to Adam, and did not send Adam to knock on the caves and dwellings of the animals. Think about it.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I'll never forget how this was justified in talks. The concept was something like, well while you may never have helped anyone into "the truth", and may even feel Jehovah should have brought the end by now, your bros and sisters have been bringing people in in (insert a third world country or impoverished area in your country), so therefore aren't we thankful for God's mercy even if we personally have not seen results? (Cue applause) Then there is the one Steve Lett uses, how your being out there gave the people you met a chance to show where they stand on the issue of "universal sovreignty". (Cue ooohs and aaahs on the deep thought)

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The book of Ecclesiastes says its all vanity.

What she did, what you did, what I did, what the president did.

Its all vanity.

So enjoy the ride.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Also, it was justified by saying that even if we don't get to speak to anyone in the ministry, when people see us on the streets they'll think "Jehovah's Witnesses" and that's them hearing the name 'Jehovah', so.....

In reality, the Bible says that its the name Jesus Christ that is the doorway to salvation.

@ Amazing - very good point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit