Are You Surprised That Some "Intelligent" People Still Are Witnesses?

by minimus 69 Replies latest jw friends

• darthfader
    darthfader

It's odd.. I have noticed that within a few of the longer threads, someone brings up Hitler as a comparison point.. Then I remembered a Wikipedia article on just such an thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Darth Fader

• garybuss
    garybuss

Are You Surprised That Some "Intelligent" People Still Are Witnesses?I'm no more surprised that an intelligent person plays with Jehovah's Witnesses than I am that an intelligent person would go to Las Vegas to gamble, or that an intelligent person would smoke, or drink ethanol, or use mind altering drugs. Intelligent people don't have immunity to doing stupid things.

That was one of my hurdles when I challenged myself. I knew people I was pretty sure had a higher IQ than me who were true believing Jehovah's Witnesses. How could I see something they couldn't?

I came to the conclusion that intelligence has nothing to do with ethics, morals, or humanity. Actually intelligence can be used to the detriment of humanity. I bring up Adolf Hitler as an example . . . and Heinrich Himmler, and Rommel. These guys were unquestionably intelligent, but they used their intelligence to the dark side. I know many Witness men who did that. They were intelligent, but devious . . . not people I liked or trusted.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Double post.

• minimus
    minimus

Got it, Gary.

• streets76
    streets76

I'm not very smart, and nothing exists in a vacuum.

• Still Breaking Free
    Still Breaking Free

My father is a very intelligent and deep thinking man. He has said on many occasions that he does wholeheartedly believe it's 'The Truth', but even if it all turns out to be complete nonsense he will die happy with the life he chose. Just as the Witnesses accuse others of choosing the religion that suits them, I believe that is precisely what many witnesses do.

Add to that the utter humiliation and feeling of wasting one's life if you admit, years down the line, that the way you have lived and the life you have carved out for your family has all been a terrible mistake.

I don't think it's surprising at all, but very, very sad.

• bebu
    bebu

I'm not surprised. I know some otherwise intelligent folks who believe in zombies and aliens and werewolves.

bebu

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Oh, werewolves are real... ;)

Jackie

• watson
    watson

I don't know about you guys, but I sure feel a lot smarter after reading this thread!!

• b17boss
    b17boss

the german people are pretty smart and they followed hitler.

it all comes down to what the real truth is and what you want the truth to be

wbts sells what most would like to be ex: never getting old and dying

with the catch that only they know what the real truth is.....and how to get it..

same with mormons,muslims,catholics etc.etc.

jesus go your faith has made you well,not seek out the wbts,or mormons,or muslims or catholicsetc.etc.

every religion on this earth is created,governed,and controlled by imperfect men like you and me

no special insight or power. jesus wasn't about religion he was about people

he said it best(LOVE THE LORD WITH YOUR WHOLE HEART MIND AND SOUL AND LOVE YOUR NEIHBOR

AS YOURSELF ON THIS THE ENTIRE LAW HANGS)all religion is man made period....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit