Are You Surprised That Some "Intelligent" People Still Are Witnesses?

by minimus 69 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know some very sharp men and women that remain as JWs and that perplexes me at times. I even know of a JW whose daughter got molested by her JW ministerial servant uncle and she still believes this is the "Truth", even though she took her family member to court and won!

I don't get it.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

My husband says the same thing about my family, especially my mom. They're very book smart, and he can't believe that she can still doggedly follow something that has so many fallacies and inconsistencies. I told him he still doesn't quite understand the brainwashing aspect of it all.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Once you understand how Mind Control works, this will probably not surprise you.

• minimus
    minimus

I think a lot of people purposely remain om automatic pilot---not just JWs.

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

Yes. My father is a graduate, and he still a PO. I don't get it either. Maybe its the admiration and honour he gets from being the 'big elder'. I saw it, he loves the pedestal he is on.

Agent Smith

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Rick Ross has an excellent article on his site regarding this.

Cults: Public Perception vs. Research

There is a body of research regarding the cult recruitment process. It is important to review and discuss the tactics of cult leaders and their proselytizing in an effort to explain and how intelligent psychologically healthy people--can be persuaded to join a destructive cult.

One goal of this paper is to recognize that thousands of people are actually tricked into joining cults.
    The type of people who join cults are typically no different than the vast majority of society. Some have been experiencing a time of stressful transition or a temporary crisis. We are all more susceptible to persuasion techniques during such times. It is important to be sensitive to those vulnerable periods especially when being approached by a new group or organization.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/general/general431.html

• snowbird
    snowbird

No.

Were I so inclined, I could be a Mensa member - as could other members of my family - yet, I was a die-hard JW at one time.

My daughter and nephew, whose IQs are off the charts, are zealous JW's.

I'm afraid "intelligence" has nothing to do with it, Minimus.

Sylvia

• minimus
    minimus

Snowbird, you just inculcated too much.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yep.

Straight from the cotton and cornfields; lacking in critical thinking skills; lovebombed and made to feel special!

Resistance was futile!

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

As an active JW, and liking to think of myself as kind of "Intelligent", I'm not surpised at all.

I could make the same case for almost any group ("How can he be so intelligent and be a Republican!"; "How can an Intelligent person believe in UFO's", etc.)

What DOES SURPRISE ME is Intelligent, smart and well informed JWs that are Zealots, that live for nothing else but for the org. Every smart JW I know, when I get to know them well, you see there's some sort of deprecating attitude towards aspects of the org. The more intimate you become, the more you see, that deep down they are not buying the whole thing. Being a JW becomes secondary.

Human nature is complicated, and we stay altough we know that there's something terribly wrong. These JWs end up being no different from those who are in many churches and confessions just out of habit, but it has little effect on our everyday life.

This may sound (and be) very cynical, but it's the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit