Baptism valid or not?

by RaraAvis 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RaraAvis
    RaraAvis

I am curious to those of you who were baptised as JWs and who have left the organization, but still consider yourselves Christians, do you consider your baptism valid? How many of you out there felt the need to be rebaptised?

RA

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    do you consider your baptism valid?

It was not a baptism. Therefore I did not consider it to be valid. For a baptism to be valid it must have proper form, matter and intention. The Witnesses use the proper matter (water), but neither the form (Matthew 29:19) nor the intention is Christian.

I received a Christian baptism last week.

BTS

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

Congratulations BTS!

I do not consider my JW baptism valid for the Christian faith. I am planning to be baptised soon too.

Blithe

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Congratulation BTS!

• Colton
    Colton

If it's not in the name of the Father, Son AND HOLY SPIRIT ... it's not a valid Christian baptism.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

A Witness baptism specifically is to identify a person with the Watchtower Society the answering the second question. So I do not feel it is an appropriate symbolism for Christianity.

Watchtower 1985 June 1 p.30

"The first question is: On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself toJehovah to do his will?
    The second is: Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

see http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/baptism.htm

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I was only 9 years old when I was baptised as a JW and didn't really know what I was doing at the time. However, back then the JWs were still baptising in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. So when I decided to be received into the Episcopal Church, I asked my priest about Baptism and he said that there was no re-baptism, that you were baptised or you weren't baptised. However, he recommended that I get a second opinion, so I visited another Episcopal priest who said basically the same thing. However, he said that if my JW Baptism bothered me, then I could be "Conditionally Baptised," a sacrament for those who didn't know if they had been baptised or not. Generally this was for adults who weren't sure if they had been baptised as infants.

Therefore, I was Conditionally Baptised, confirmed, and received into the Church. Nevertheless, I don't consider my JW Baptism as valid.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Baptism into a cult is hardly a baptism. It's utter nonsense. You may as well get baptized to the false god Beelzebub.

Of course, you'll realize that's bullshit too, quit, and become what some people call "apostate". Yeah, whatever definition you want. Beelzebub, Jehovah, Yahweh, bla bla bla.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

A don't believe the JW baptism is a valid Christian baptism. Christians have to be baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and the WTS doesn't perform such a baptism.

Congratulations to Burn the Ships! I too receive a Christian baptism 2 weeks ago.

• purpleplus
    purpleplus

No, but I've been baptized as a Methodist and a Pentacostal before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit