The coming Death of Simon's Board?

by Mindchild 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Bigboi...some people may indeed wish for the magic tool to make their enemies go mute on command but please realize I'm not advocating that.

You have been around long enough to see lots of flame wars that drag on and on until they either get locked or people make complete fools of themselves. Hell, I don't care if they want to do this but don't put it on the front page of the daily news every day. Further, I'm talking about offensive threads more than I am individual posts. Again, let the trolls play if they want but send them to the playground.

Maybe instead of rating posts we should be thinking of the same principle except with people being able to stick posts into different catagories. For instance, if it is adult and disagreement...why not just have them vote to move it there. I don't think we need people deleting posts or going on and on about warnings of violating rules like in H20.

Thanks for your input.

Skipper

• bigboi
    bigboi
    You have been around long enough to see lots of flame wars that drag on and on until they either get locked or people make complete fools of themselves.

Don't remind me. However, I don't think all of those 'wars' were detrimental to the board.

Hell, I don't care if they want to do this but don't put it on the front page of the daily news every day
    I thought Simon already fixed that. Nobody can see what's active unless they click on the active screen. Even before that change u had to actually click on the post to see it and read it to see what it was all about. All of that is vouluntary. How much more democratic could you get?

Further, I'm talking about offensive threads more than I am individual posts.
    What are offensive threads? What offensive threads have been a problem as of late? I mean, I've been on this site for about 9 mos now and I haven't really seen a problem with any blatantly offensive threads.

Again, let the trolls play if they want but send them to the playground.
    I guess, but who determines who's a troll w/o treading on the freedom the site currently offers?

Maybe instead of rating posts we should be thinking of the same principle except with people being able to stick posts into different catagories. For instance, if it is adult and disagreement...why not just have them vote to move it there. I don't think we need people deleting posts or going on and on about warnings of violating rules like in H20.
    Maybe we should just leave the site as it is. Really we don't have a major problem here, except for personality conflicts. No matter how much or what type of moderation u have u will always have personality conflicts. H2O proved that. Hell, some of the guys who fought on h2O are still fighting over here!

Neways, my point was that basically any proposed system of moderation here will basically be to shut up certain posters.All the things ppl complain about on this board can be easily ignored. All it takes is a little self-control. Don't want trolls around? Then don't interact with them. Don't like flame threads? Then don't click on them or the active screen when one's going on. Or just ignore it.

ONE....

bigboi

"it's like the one thing we all have in common is that we
    got played by a cult and a bunch of old men and no matter what it will
    always be a part of us no matter how much we distance ourselves from it"
    ~ Ghostquote

• JanH
    JanH

Skipper,

It works. So don't fix it!

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• proplog2
    proplog2

So, what's wrong with the death of a discussion group?

The only thing that I can think of that would really help the board is if there was a place where the subject of a post would be stated.
    The titles are often vague and sometimes misleading. If a title is vague I won't read it unless it was posted by someone I read on a regular basis.

• Simon
    Simon

I do think the 'rated' view is quite useful - this should be a good selection of posts if someone only wanted or had time to read a few:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/rated.asp?site=3

One of the biggest things that would help to improve things is better titles for posts. Instead of

"What do you think of this book?"

... something like ...

"What do you think of Crisis of Conscience?"

... is much more useful. This isn't meant to have a go at anyone BWT(I know I am guilty of this too).

Also, if people tried to post into the correct forum areas it would help to control the amount that people have to read and allow people to focus on what they are interested in be it friendly chat, doctrine or exposing the WTS. Perhaps I should get rid of 'main' completely?

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Simon,
    I like the direction you are thinking.

The ratings system and self monitoring that I mentioned Slashdot and other websites are trying is designed to attract the largest number of people by bringing the flow of quality material to the top. This system has some validity in sites where there are a lot of active posters.

If your goal is that of making this a enjoyable and friendly watering hole that ex-dubs can enjoy, learn, and participate in..without the need to make it bigger then there is a few alternative approaches that work just as well.

The first is catagorization of information. This is what you are suggesting by people putting their posts in certain area. Look at the example of a large city newspaper. If there were no catagories, you would have to read the whole damn thing through to find the information you are looking for. You don't want to read the sports scores if you are shopping for a car.

This leads me to agree with you that you should get rid of the "Main" catagory but replace it with a better idea. Remember that existing ideas are replaced by better ideas. Why not try modeling things after a newspaper?

You would have a front page section that would have a limited number of posts and then your index for people's favorite sections. To keep the front page from getting clogged with everything (people are like lightning and take the path of least resistance) put a restriction in the number of posts someone can start in this section each day (say one or two) and that will keep the trolls and spammers from wasting prime-time bandwidth.

For the "favorite" sections you could have something along the lines of a ex-JW cafe or pub where people could go to hang out and post as much as they wanted but it would be mostly fluff and chitchat as this area would be for socializing. It would be similar to your chat room but better because not everyone can get on the chat at the same time and here people could post when they wanted and enjoy the ongoing discussions.

You could have another section for "dirty laundry" in which people could engage in their unlimited bickering if they so desired. If they start an arguement in the pub, just drop the thread into the laundry room and let it play itself out.

How about a section for newbies who want support? Maybe this would be a kinder and gentler section of the board that allows new people to share their story and hang out until they feel brave enough to walk into the Wild Wild West section that anything goes?

You have some good catagories now but you make it too easy to just plug into the main board as it gives the largest audience and attracts the trolls and spammers. The trolls and spammers are not going to go away but with a good catagory system, you can minimize their droppings.

Oh, and you know as well as I do that as much as you tell people to play nice and all that, it has about the same effect at the infamous saying: Just Say No to Drugs.

We are animals Simon, got that? grrrrrr

Skipper

• teejay
    teejay

Reports of the demise of JW.com have been greatly exaggerated.

JW.com is "THE" best ex-JW discussion board on the net, and Simon's constant tinkering keeps it fresh and interesting.

Rock on Simon and JW.com!!

Live long and prosper.

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

G'day SirFred,

You're looking nice and fluffy today. You are quite right of course, a few grumpy old men do not a good board make but this place has a fantastic mix of longwinded smartarses and stubby short prickers.

I think the hurley burly is great even when i get worn down by tarbabies who must have the last say.

regards unclefluffybruce

• cat1759
    cat1759

Mindchild,
    Like other boards there are going to be nasty individuals. If you dont like their postings you have to go past them. I agree about moderators. There are other places i visit and they have the same problem. I just ignore those posts unless I get really mad.
    Ok..with that said...I didnt realize you were older than the hills...just teasing..god can't you take a joke?
    cathy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit