Wasn't it the BEST when the speaker DIDN'T SHOW for the Public Talk?

by lurk3r 26 Replies latest jw friends

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

that happened quite a few times. Our hall was tucked away and the route was complicated by a one way system - sometimes the speaker would get lost and give up

• sir82
    sir82

No matter how far up or down the spirituality chain you were, it was universally hailed as good news if a meeting was shortened or cancelled.

So much for the "refreshment" found at meetings! If they were so frikkin' refreshing, how come it was always such a relief when you had a legitimate excuse not to go?

• viva
    viva

Unfortunately it was also standard arround the area I was in for the chairman to give the talk if the speaker didn't show. I had to give so many damn talks because the speaker didn't show. The talk coordinator was a real f*ck up, messed up the schedule all the time.

• blondie
    blondie

Some congregations had 2 or 3 men able to give a talk at the last minute, not necessarily the scheduled one. They would switch the WT study to the start of the meeting and the public talk would be at the end. Occasionally, there would not be a talk and the ones that came late only for the WT study would be surprised to find everyone leaving.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think the speaker missed the opening song only once. And we simply had the washtowel study first, and then the speaker showed his ugly face. I would have liked to give the alternate talk--which would have caused the whole thing to be cut quite short--"The Bible lies."

As for the snow day, those were all too infrequent. I remember one year when every weekend, if the weather forecast was on target, the boasting session should have been snowed out, only to have it all rain, nothing, or only light snow (or off timing). Every day I would hope for a blizzard, even in the middle of summer--and that the boasting sessions would be cancelled for snow. Especially the bigger ones--I would have liked to have seen the REJECT Jesus Party or the Grand Boasting Session (all three days) cancelled for snow.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

No I didn't like it. Because they always dragged out the senile, monotone, befuddled, local guy up to stammer through an outline that he invariably went 15min overtime on. But loved the snow days!

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I think it only happened twice in my whole lifetime. It was the BEST feeling when they didn't show (I did feel slightly guilty for feeling relieved)...until they showed up so the public talk went on as planned after the magazine study.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit