Wasn't it the BEST when the speaker DIDN'T SHOW for the Public Talk?

by lurk3r 26 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

JW Christmas was exactly what it was, you are so right! We got home early.

At one stage it happened quite regularly in our congregation because the elders were so disorganised in confirming speaker arrangements.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

It was funny to watch the elders scramble for a replacement. We never got to just do the wt. They ALWAYS had some kiss-ass who would wind up doing some generic talk.

• crapola
    crapola

Someone always would fill in. We rarely ever got a chance to leave early.

• chickpea
    chickpea

yeah, we had a coupla
    show off elders who could
    pinch hit, too....

blew in the big leagues
    i tell ya

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

gubberningbody.....you are a sick ,sick man . Raining on the parade of all those poor witnesses that had a glimmer of a hope that the meeting might possibly be short Sunday morning . Don't you feel just a little bad ??

• wizardca
    wizardca

Ugh I wish! Usually the PO ended up doing the public talk after the WT study. Usually something he was really familiar with. Only JW X-MAS for me was if there was no power.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I remember feeling the excitement build in the air when the song began and the speaker was a no show ........then the utter disappointment when he showed up half way through the Watchtower study . I do believe I heard audible sighs of resign when others realized no early dismissal was going to happen after all ......such a let down .

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

Usually a MS would fill in,...half of our cong would leave during the "middle" song....me included...

african GB member

• compound complex
    compound complex

It wasn't so good a deal in our Manhattan Congo.

Our speakers [guest or local brothers], beset by the manana persuasion and the tie-ups peculiar to subway and bus travel, were often late. We did not do the Watchtower study first. Only 3 brothers, of whom I was one, were allowed to chair the public talk. Since it was the chairman's responsibility to be prepared with a talk [in a foreign language], we three were alternately in readiness to speak for one hour if the speaker didn't show.

Every third Sunday - minutes before the talk was to commence - I scoured the 'hood, looking for any "foreign" brother who might fill the bill.

No wonder I was always a nervous wreck. Well, one of the reasons ...

CoCo, Prepared to Talk Every Three Weeks Whether He Likes It or Not

• trebor
    trebor

Interesting, so apparently in some congregations if the scheduled speaker did not appear there was no public talk given; wow!

Always, in the three congregations I was a part of during various times of my "Watchtower Career", if the speaker didn't show, A Public Talk would be given regardless by a local elder or servant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit