2001 vs 1975

by Amazing 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

In 1975 JWs had several things going for them. The ex-JWs that left because of earlier prophetic failures had no real way to reach us. Most JWs were of a newer generation, eager for something to happen given the times we lived in. And the WTS was pumping JWs with a lot of rhetoric about the urgency of the times, and the nearness of Armageddon. Had the events of 9-11 happened in 1975, the JWs would have gone stark raving mad with excitement - and I have no doubt that door-to-door work, Bible Studies, and Baptisms would have doubled. --- When Nathan Knorr told us to look out for 1973, and then the OIL embargoes started worldwide - with huge gas lines - the JWs were frothing at the mouth to preach - and Bible studies were easy to get.

In 2001, JWs are so bored and tired that when 9-11 happened, it was barely a wake up call - like a quiet alarm on a Saturday morning, that you just click off, and then go back to sleep - skipping Field Service this week. We were still more excited in 1991 when US President Bush and Soviet Premier Gorbachev declared Peace and Security.

Peace and Security are supposed to be short-lived according to Watch Tower theology - so the events of 9-11 should have been big time call to action and preparing JWs for the final part of these very Last Days - so deep in this time of the end - and Armageddon just months or even week away.

But what do we get from JWs now? The Governing Body is soooooo boring ... that 9-11 is barely a yawn to these old geezers. Gawd! If the JWs are going to be a Prophet, even a False prophet --- then at least do some prophesying, speculating, and pondering the meaning of events --- and get the masses worked into a frenzy --- and lets have some good old JW days again.

Or could it be that the JW leaders are truly scared of ex-JWs now? With the Internet, and ability to shred their written works to pieces - maybe just maybe - the Governing Beavers have finally lost their appetite for doing what they used to do best - lying theough their teeth about world events --- and instead, they are lying now, just to save their sorry backsides until they finally reach the grave and leave the mess to the younger generation to figure out. - Amazing

• proplog2
    proplog2

The Watchtower has no vision. When Fred Franz died they lost their last "crazy" speculator. No one has the courage (or stupidity) to declare themselves the new oracle. They are really stuck.

They are doomed to sift through Isaiah for the next 10 years.

• Joseph Joachim
    Joseph Joachim

JWs are so bored and tired that when 9-11 happened, it was barely a wake up call

My impression is that there's more double-thinking than ever going on among young JW. On one hand they are looking forward to the New Order but, at the same time, they are more practical than the old generation when it comes to realistically planning for their future.

For example, my younger brother, who is an active JW and Ministerial Servant, graduated from College this semester. My mother told me the other day that he was putting the money together to come to visit me in Switzerland for his next summer vacations (that is, January 2003). So, according to his schedule, Armaggedon is not due until 2004.

JJ

• LB
    LB

I suppose the false prophets are getting a little nervous about blowing it anymore. Too many mistakes in the past. JW's in my area are telling the neighbors that 9-11 is another sign that the end is very close. Of course, everything is another sign.

I wish they would publish something else along the lines they did in 1975. That would only get more to leave.

Although after Osama is captured or killed, someone is bound to scream "peace and security" and maybe that will get them to take a stand. But wait, isn't the society supposed to be under attack as the last sign? Religion is going to collaspe right?

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Erich
    Erich

Hi there.

One can only do a prophecy, if either

a) the prophecy come from higher source (YHVH/JHWH) and the
    prophet has been "authorized" to reveal and proclaim it ... or

b) the prophet has got enough own power to "transfer" the prophecy
    into reality (to let the thing happen...) e.g.: If I would say:
    tomorrow my house will burn (because I would be able to put it on
    fire at any time I want..)

That's no zynism. It's absolutely the truth.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Amazing,

I could not agree more with this view of things;

***Or could it be that the JW leaders are truly scared of ex-JWs now? With the Internet, and ability to shred their written works to pieces - maybe just maybe - the Governing Beavers have finally lost their appetite for doing what they used to do best - lying theough their teeth about world events --- and instead, they are lying now, just to save their sorry backsides until they finally reach the grave and leave the mess to the younger generation to figure out. - Amazing ***

Even if it is not overt lying, but simple attempts to explain away the lack of Jehovah's response to all their 'spirit directed' proclamations...they now must face the reality, their every utterance is wide open for review, subject to scrutiny...Oh man the stress of it all! Fred and the Judge would be blowing a gasket...Jarass Ted, probably spends most of the weekly GB meeting, just trying to keep the other member's awake, let alone come up with some new 'inspiring' LIGHT.

Danny

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Hello, Amazing. Glad to see you. Always love your posts.

The JW's are too tired to be worked into a frenzy. I never saw so many tired people in one place in my life the last time I was in a Congo (May of this year). I really think their 9-11 attitude is somewhat like "Just another (yawn) sign, yadayaaya". The GB is afraid to prophesize anymore because they know of the false prophet accusations that have be railed against them by US. I told my loyal Dub friend(?) before I DA'd myself that they were false prophets and lying to her. Her response was "At least they have the courage to admit to it". Typical loyal narrow-minded WT robot parrot response.

What scares me is that the WTS is so busy "buryng" their old literature by not making it readily available, that the new JW's of the future may never really learn what a ridiculous false prophet organization this is and has been right from its start. Important to keep it all available on the Net.

(I think this is my 100th post...is that Master?)
    (Nope....one more)
    (Nope...just how many makes Master?)

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes they either won't or can't come up with anything 'new' and just rehash the same old garbage that doesn't fit the facts anymore.

I think everyone is getting tired ... you can see it in the slumped shoulders as the plod along on the rare times you actually see them out preaching.

I wonder how long they think they can carry it on?

"Honest, any day now ..." [ WatchTower, 2034 ]

• Erich
    Erich

Simon:

I think everyone is getting tired..
    There you are !!!

See Matt. 25:5 .
    "While the bridegroom was delaying, they all nodded and went to sleep".
    Note: ALL of the "virgins"...

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Amazing,

I was baptized in 73 so remember all the talk about persecution, tribulation, anti-Catholic, evolution, etc. It was exciting and dr-2-dr was more interesting.

It certainly did become ho-hum. Don't forget to add their legal dept. that probably scrutinizes and sanitizes everything.

That was also true that the exjws in the 70s had no real way to mass-reach the current jws. Inter-es-ting!

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit