Vanilla Sky w/Tom Cruise

by patio34 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• patio34
    patio34

Felicitations to everyone,

I saw Vanilla Sky yesterday. It was engaging with a surprise ending. The critics seem to have panned it, but I thought it was worth seeing. The kind you keep thinking about when you leave. Very good.

My 2 cents,
    Pat

• mindfield
    mindfield

Liked it, heh? Guess I'll go see it myself...

True, some critics hated it, but if you go to :movies.com you can see the reviews of most critics arranged in 3 categories: positive, negative, and mixed. For Vanilla Sky, it's mostly half-and-half. A couple mixed.

Thanks for the review!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Here is another good movie review site: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-1110491/

I saw Kate & Leopold last night. Chic flick in the extreme, but so good at doing what chic flicks do, and such a fun premise, that I had to like it.

• patio34
    patio34

Mindfield,
    Thanks for the review site. It's helpful. Vanilla Sky, IMHO, wasn't like what they compared it to (true love, etc.) It was like some other movies that I can't reveal, because it may tip you off to the ending. :-)

Hi Six,
    One of my favorite themes of fiction is time travel or misplaced persons, so Leopold will be on my list.

Cheers!
    Pat

• LB
    LB

OK, might go check this movie out this weekend then. I use http://www.crankycritic.com/ to help me decide if it's worth seeing or not. He hated this movie but there are times that I do disagree with him. Nice that I'm alllowed to do that these days.

Crank Critic rates movies on a scale up to what he would be willing to pay for a ticket to see the movie. He ranked Vanilla Sky at 1.00 dollar. He figures a date worthly movie should cost 5 bucks and the high end is 10 bucks.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Patio,
    It wasn't anything like Eyes Wide Shut was it? That was such a weird movie, and when I saw this new one it made me think it could be like that. Albiet, I love Tom Cruise.
    It might be worth a shot, if you say so.
    TW

• LB
    LB

It was very much like a movie that was popular a couple of years ago, but I won't say the name of that one as it's a giveaway if I do. I had it figured out maybe 10 or 15 minutes before the ending, but if I hadn't heard there was a huge twist then I would not have been able to do that.

I'm no Tom Cruise fan but I enjoyed the movie. It was snowing out and sitting there with a big coke and a bucket of popcorn was the intelligent thing to do.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• patio34
    patio34

Thinker's Wife,
    I never saw 'Eyes Wide Shut,' because it did seem wierd. Vanilla Sky isn't wierd at all, just interesting, albeit confusing until the end!

LB,
    I always get a chuckle out of your posts and your Texan style. What a cozy picture sitting in a warm theater with warm popcorn and snow outside. And, if I'm ever wearing spurs and have the need to squat, I'll remember your slogan! So, you figured it out towards the end, clever guy! Not me--I rarely do. It's a skill that's a little lacking in me, that of foreseeing things.

Did you happen to see "The Others?" I didn't figure that out before the end, either. In "Sixth Sense," I knew something was fishy, but didn't see the end coming.

Ah-h-h well. Enjoy your Sunday! What?? No meeting? No field service? No spiritual discussion? LOLOLOL!!

Merry Xmas!
    Pat

• patio34
    patio34

P.S. to LB: Will you please e-mail me the movie that you thought Vanilla Sky was like? If you have time--just curious.

Pat

• waiting
    waiting

Hi y'al,

I saw Robert Redford in "The Castle" about a month ago. Didn't care for it - too much like a hundred other movies with same theme.

However, I saw Spy Games last night with Redford - and it was REALLY good! Moved fast - and I had to sit still for the whole thing....or miss some of those spy moves - literally and like in chess......sit there and outpsch the other person.

Really good! And Redford's still lookin' good....*sigh*.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit