New Here - Hi All

by findingme92 34 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Welcome from Queens New York City. Glad to hear your mate is so liberal. That's kind of how my ex is, which helps with our daughter.

Isaac

• shamus100
    shamus100

Welcome from Western Canada!

Things get better and better everyday. Live your life knowing the truth - and above all, be better than you ever were being a dub while doing so.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Hi findingme and welcome!

He's not pushy at all and actually listens when I express my doubts about the beliefs of the organization.

Maybe he's secretly having doubts himself. We can hope! :o)

• lavendar
    lavendar

Hi again. I was wondering what some of your "long standing doubts" were? I'm always interested in hearing what opens JWs eyes and leads them out of the WTS.

Lavendar

• findingme92
    findingme92

Hi again all and thanks for the hearty welcomes.

Lavender, below are some of my issues

I never felt that disfellowshiping was loving, its controlling and wanting to return to be able to talk to your friends and family has zilch to do with an individuals relationship with god.

I never understood the calculations that equaled 1914

Reading the real characteristics of a cult shocked me, the Jdubs point out that one leader, isolation and small numbers are the only things that make up a cult, uuuhhhh not so much!

My Dad always quoted the scripture about noone coming to the father except thru the son to prove that each witness was personally selected by Jehovah, but I was born into it and didnt have a choice, so what? was i selected in utero? lol

I wanted to go to college, didnt understand why it was not encouraged, SO clear now, critical thinking skills are not really taught in k-12, if they were, most Jdubs would be home schooled.

Not celebrating non-relgious based holidays (mothers day, fathers day, etc.)

Not celebrating birthdays (just had my sons first b-day party at his school, SO fun, he LOVED it!)

My dad always told us that worldly people had a hidden agenda if they were your friend, but we only got close to them to bring them in the organization, so who's scamning who?

My sister was not allowed to be in my kh wedding because she was inactive, but my worldly brother in law was, didnt make sense.

Jdubs are so critical of other religions and their beliefs but cannot critically look at their own and arent even supposed to entertain anyone who does criticize it.

My real catalyst was my son, he is such a little 'individual' and i couldnt rob him of that but convincing him that he needs to be and think a certain way in order to be acceptable/good. Realizing the truth about the history and doctrins has been eye opening. My sisters are inactive as well as my mom and they all know exacty how I feel, they don't necessarily agree, I think they still feel it is the truth, as least my oldest sister does but they love and support me no matter what. They feel that as long as Im happy, they're happy. My dad is disfellowshiped and still preaching to me every opportunity he can. I've told him that I need to prove to myself that this is the truth (which Ive already deduced that it isnt, just haven't told him yet) and he equated that to 'drinking lemonade with flies in it to see how it tastes'. (hilarious)

Anyway, those are only a few of my issues, of course there are many many more.

• wobble
    wobble

Welcome,and so good that your little boy will grow up normal! (Someone tell me what normal is?)

love

wobble

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I really can relate to a lot of what you said. Like about critical thinking skills not being taught so much in K-12, df'ing, 1914, college, double standards on weddings and "worldly" relations, and being born into the org. Many of these things always puzzled me and I truly feel that I would never have fallen for a group like this on my own. I was screwed by birth and had to find my way out. Good luck to you on doing the same.

• findingme92
    findingme92

Lately I've been feeling like a big coward for not doing it until now, but I tend to be kinda hard on myself anyway, i think thats partly a JW thing too, always strive to do more, right?! I dont think i would have fallen for it either and quite honestly dont understand why anyone with any kind of common sense would.

It gets hard at times because Im 8 hours away from my family and of course ive lost all the friends i had before, so things get kinda difficult sometimes because i feel like im going through this huge transformation all alone, and no one really relates. im hoping this board helps to alleviate some of that. I'm on another board which is has been helpful also, but I haven't been able to find anyone in my area, so hopefully i can do that here.

• outofservice
    outofservice

Welcome from Colorado. It seems when we have children we really start to examine how we were raised and if this is what we want for our children. Maybe your mother and sisters will come around. My husband had the same problem at out wedding his brother was not allowed to be his best man because he was inactive. I wish we had taken a stand but we were naive back then. I think you have found a good place to help you on your journey.

OutofService

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Glad you made it here... you will make new friends and find peace....

A@G (Lance)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit