What Were Your Consequences For Leaving The "Truth"???

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I lost my mom, probably forever..most others I don't care about losing. But I've developed a decent life so far and love being "worldly".

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

I lost my Brother who is an elder. He drew me into conversations with him in order to testify against me for "apostasy" and get me difellowshipped.

I lost many people who I can only refer to as former associates, to call them friends is making a mockery of the definition.

I knew it wasn't "the truth" for many years but now that I , my wife and two lovely kids are out it is wonderful to be free from the wts oppressive yolk.

My story is here.

http://deathorobedience.blogspot.com/

• ninja
    ninja

two lovely kids?.......bloody hell....I've seen them

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I quit wasting my time going to boasting sessions or out in field circus. I also quit worrying about not getting any field circus in for the month, or that I needed to go to a boasting session so I wouldn't be hounded, or about the upcoming Christmas music.

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

Hi Minimus,

I continue to struggle with mental illness. But I take things one day at a time and life is generally pleasant. I have accomplished

a lot in the last 20 years, now I'm kind of on hold, I can't make up my mind which direction to go next. I am not dealing well

with growing older.

Has leaving the witnesses been worth it? It has certainly been costly to me. I probably should have left when I was 20, right

after I got kicked out of Bethel rather than spending 10 more years hanging on when I already had lost my faith. But then, I

wouldn't have met Mitch who is the love of my life.

I spend too much of my mental time calculating alternative life choices. I made the choices I did because, for me, they were the

only choices to be made. I could not go on pretending to believe in what the witnesses taught. After leaving, the final stamp

was reading in Crisis of Conscience that the governing body voted on doctrine and actually lobbied each other for votes. That

rang true and solidified the fact that the whole "Jehovah driven" organization was a farce.

I love truth. I hate rhetoric and political posturing.

Anyhow. If I weigh it side by side.

The Losses - my childhood friends, my brother's family and guilt associated with hurting my parents.

The cost of staying - the mental agony of constantly lying about myself and the hypocrisy of pretending to believe.

The Gains - 20 years of friendships and experiences I would have never had as a witness.

It basically comes down to a choice between living for others or living for myself and learning to love myself.

• garybuss
    garybuss

What Were Your Consequences For Leaving The "Truth"???

My life got better and better every day. The day I realized that the Jehovah's Witness people had taken everything they could take from me was a light bulb day for me. I tell them today . . . if I have anything you want . . . come and get it. I don't want it!

This leaves them powerless over me. Some of them have shunned me till they died. Good! Thanks! Some have slandered me. Thanks again! None of the Watch Tower Witnesses have charged at me me with good deeds and friendly behaviors.

The Witness people didn't show me much respect when I associated with them, so it seemed like it was pretty easy for them to disregard me when I dropped off the radar screen.

• Nellie
    Nellie

I lost friends - some of them I expected to lose, others really took me by surprise. Other than that, I feel like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders - THAT'S worth plenty more!

• minimus
    minimus

Thank you so much for your contributions here. This thread is a testament to people knowing they had to make a correct decision in spite of whatever the consequences might be.

Joel, I'm glad you're feeling better and taking 1 day at a time. There's no better way. The past can't change, my friend.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I lost :

Family

"Friends"

Ulcers

Social Phobia

Depression

I gained:

A wonderful, loving husband that I am not ashamed to announce is mine

2 happy, healthy children that will get to experience sports, dances, college, etc

In-laws that do everything they can to give my children and I love, attention, support and holidays.

Friends who are there for me all the time, not just if I do what they say.

Happiness

Birthdays (Yes, I love them as much as my name indicates)

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

Getting out was sad at first. I became introverted for the first time in my life, trying to figure out what I was going to do, what to believe in, and how to make friends outside. I am an outgoing person and usually happy. My former husband had his freedom from the Borg a few years earlier. He was ready to do everything he had wanted to since he was in for almost 30 years. I gave him plenty of room to express himself and explore. The marriage ended. Now I am really learning how to live on my own for the first time in my life since the divorce. I am at peace with myself and my life right now. Don't have to cook or clean for anyone but me and my house is taking shape with my personality, finally. I am looking forward to my birthday this year, soon. I had my first Christmas tree this past year, it was lovely. I regained my family, and his family are still very nice to me. Everyone was so happy we left the dubs. I have made new friends where I live and gained a better outlook on my freedom. I am almost to the place I want to be that I can say I am happy. Still have some days that I grieve over the loss of my best friend and husband. Have been spending more time by myself to get comfortable with it and it works. Welcome to all the new ones on here who are just getting started with their posting. It is good to move on with your new life.

Kit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit