The Potter: Do You STILL Want to Worship This?

by WTWizard 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Jeremiah 18 starts like this:

1: The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,
    2: Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words.
    3: Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels.
    4: And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.
    5: Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
    6: O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.

Now, from this I discern that God is the potter and we are the "lumps of clay". Effectively, the Bible thus claims that God has the right to disregard how we might feel about things and use us as He sees fit regardless, because we are supposed to be like that lump of dirt.

There is a major problem that most Bible readers miss. The lump of dirt has no potential feelings. It has no way of knowing what it is going through, no way of registering a preference for one use instead of another, or any sense of being put to its best possible use given the strengths and weaknesses of that particular type of clay. Thus, a potter can mold it however he sees fit, and the clay is not going to even notice anything.

Humans, on the other hand, do have feelings, potentials, and preferences. If God is forcibly molding them into something they are not suited for, they do have a sense of the waste of life that will result. A person that would have done well with the opposite sex, for instance, is going to have a miserable time as a missionary or as a monk. Yet, God reserves the right to close out the opposite sex options and corral that person in such a wasteful role in life, without any thought that the person is going to regret it.

And, instead of feeling bad when the person is thus unfulfilled, Jehovah will claim that the person should have given up his feelings and adopted Jehovah's instead. And that person should shut up about it, and accept that Jehovah chose a non-rewarding, non-fulfilling, non-satisfying position for that person instead of a more natural, more normal, more rewarding situation.

No, this is not the Not Well Translated version or some other f***ed up version. This is the good old King James version I am quoting from! Of course, the witlesses do use this verse a lot, to justify people going to Beth Hell or the Value Destroyer Training School, and to goad people to pio-sneer. But even regular church often uses this section to get people to shut up about a blatantly non-satisfying situation and go on a wasteful mission or to become a monk/nun. It effectively means we need to give up all our preferences and submit exclusively to the will of God, regardless of how much waste occurs as a result, and shut up about it.

Now, I wonder what happens if, since God is hereby determined to treat people literally like dirt, if they stop worshiping HIm altogether and start worshiping the Devil or going atheist.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes, I still want to - and do - worship Him, the Potter.

This is the same Potter who said these memorable words, also from the KJV:

John 13:12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? 13:13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. 13:14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. 13:17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

Wizard, you always blame God for your non-success with the opposite sex. Surely someone as intelligent as you should have realized this is a cop out.

I advise you to forget about the KH, the Hounders, the Filthful & Disgraceful Slavebugger, the Lowlife Scumbag, and start to build a life for yourself.

You can do it!

Sylvia

• oompa
    oompa

i think the wiz makes good points snowbird...reread vs.4........if the vessal was marred...as we ALL are...why not either try to fix us or be patient or understanding about the defect...hell according to this...he is the one that goofed up and MADE the defect!!!!.......so he makes us defective and decides to throw us out and just make another?....this is what he maybe should have done with adam and ever....just do a do-over.......................oompa

i like the evil nwt even better here:

(Jeremiah

niiiiicccceee........

• snowbird
    snowbird

3: Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels.
    4: And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.

That's exactly what God does. We are the clay, He is the Potter. (Isaiah 64)

Sylvia

• oompa
    oompa

oops...it did not post my scripture

i like nwt even better for this one:

(Jeremiah

18:4-6)4 And the vessel that he was making with the clay was spoiled by the potter’s hand, and he turned back and went making it into another vessel, just as it looked right in the eyes of the potter to make. 5 And the word of Jehovah continued to occur to me, saying: 6 "‘Am I not able to do just like this potter to YOU people, O house of Israel?’ is the utterance of Jehovah. ‘Look! As the clay in the hand of the potter, so YOU are in my hand, O house of Israel.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

God forces no one. He does not force you either. He invites us to him but only of our free will and desire. Ultimately, that is what our soul desires, to embrace the Father. God is Goodness and Truth and Love. There is no love when there is force. Why don't you try to look for truth for yourself?

BTS

• undercover
    undercover
    God forces no one. He does not force you either. He invites us to him but only of our free will and desire. Ultimately, that is what our soul desires, to embrace the Father.

So, ultimately then, what is the end result for someone who does not, out of free will, choose to embrace the Father as opposed to one who does?

• bob1999
    bob1999

"So, ultimately then, what is the end result for someone who does not, out of free will, choose to embrace the Father as opposed to one who does?"

All have sinned and the wages of sin is death (that would be the second death) but the free gift, from God, is eternal life to those who believe.

Peace

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    So, ultimately then, what is the end result for someone who does not, out of free will, choose to embrace the Father as opposed to one who does?

His choice is respected and he gets to spend eternity without Him.

BTS

• undercover
    undercover
    All have sinned and the wages of sin is death (that would be the second death) but the free gift, from God, is eternal life to those who believe.

Even Satan and the demons believe God exists... (accepting the Bible as textbook in this discussion)

Maybe you mean to say "...eternal life to those who serve". If that's the case what happened to the free will to not have to serve him? Sounds more like extortion... "serve me and I'll give you eternal life. Don't serve me and suffer the second death". Where's the free will in that?

BTS, your answer is even more obtuse...but purposely so I'm sure, so as to not have to face the real issue...how is one's use of free will punisheable for some but not for others?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit