Any consequences for not attending the Memorial?

by sacolton 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• sacolton
    sacolton

For active JWs, what would happen if they missed the Memorial? Guilt-trip from the Elders? Why isn't it a disfellowshipping offense since it is stressed to be of vital importance to attend?

• wobble
    wobble

I don't see how it could be a DF'ing offence.The WT go on about it being a command from Jesus to attend,but I do not see anywyhere in scripture that Jesus commands attendance,he lovingly says to his close followers,do this (i.e partake) and it will help you remember me,but that is all.

I see that as the institution of a small ritual that they would have taken part in every time they ate together,not just once a year.And Paul rightly exorts them not to demean or belittle such a practice.

Nowhere is there an instruction to just observe,so "other sheep " don't have an invite,scripturally.

If it is a DF'ing offence then i'm for the chop,coz for the first time in 59 years I aint goin'

Love

Wobble

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

The first year we were inactive we did cave and attend the memorial . Many came up and hugged us and said they missed us . One Elder came up and said "We sure miss you guys , yeah I know we could 've called right ? " , and I said "Well our phone number and address are the same as they always have been (the past 30 yrs.)"

The elderette that sat next to us literally stuck her nose in the air and sniffed then turned away when we sat down beside her (I swear I took a shower first !) It was her little way of showing her disapproval of our meeting non existence .

When we did not show up at the last two memorials the shunning began in force. They know now we are seriously regecting the religion and there is no hope left for us . So yes you will face consequences for sure if you decline the oh so important invitation ....(Which really makes me wonder if they consider it so important why do they wait until two days before the event to invite you ? )

So officially they may not announce anything ,but the congregation takes note of who doesn't show, and you will be marked I guarantee it . In their brainwashed minds it is you that has thumbed your nose at Jesus, because they in zombie like fashion all think regecting the emblems is SO important of an observation .

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

I'll soon find out the answer to this! Tonight will be the first one I've ever missed. Ever.

I hadn't been invited and then a couple of days ago I got an invite from an elder, via text message! Would I cave to his oh-so-genuine invite? No, I didn't reply. Thought I'd shun him instead!

Btw, my other half didn't attend last year and no one made an issue of it.

So tonight we're going somewhere that we can actually drink the wine that's being passed around! LOL Cheers!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are varying consequences, depending on how well Brother Hounder is doing his job. Chances are fair that nothing will happen, at least not for a while. Or, you can get a call from the hounders (or a visit). However, I don't think missing the REJECT Jesus Party will get you disfellowshipped--inactive, yes, but I doubt they will disfellowship anyone just for missing it.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I've been getting lotsa invites from the congregation but I've been told very kindly but privately that it is better if I don't attend as it draws attention to my ambiguous standing. I'm happy to agree as there is no significant guilt/pressure from anyone. I feel quite easy about the whole thing which is great. Also the memorial is held in a very hot stuffy over crowded room. A couple of years ago a visitor fainted and another visitor had an argument - the air was sombre and thick with tension

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Woah, wait a minute; why do they still celebrate the memorial when Paul told the Corinthians only to do it until Christ returns? Didn't he return in 1914?

• oompa
    oompa

password....you know the answer..."cause he has not returned in full glory/power...he is just ruling in the midst of his enemies...blahblahblah)

salco...if your family is in and your wife and friends are in...i say hold your nose and go. I skipped my first last year and that is a clear sign that you totally dont frikkin believe anymore and do not care to be JW....They are super judgemental after all....for me, many i considered friends started shunning me, and it seems that even my good friends do not seek out my association, but will come over or go out to dinner....a few will even do vacations with me

last year no elder called me before or after the memorial, and i had not been to a meeting for about a year before that.....they already know i have real problems with this stoopid "tradition of men" and the methods it is carried out....in fact, the year before when i was going to some meetings, i had so bashed the memorial "celebration" (geeze it pisses me off when they would call this a celebration of a mans death!!)...anybody else hate that?...that i got a call from an elder worried i would not show back then!...even though i still went to some meetings....

at my recent sheperding call i told them i missed field servcie like a root canal....and that i would have no clue what to tell people about the last days (they are called that because they last, and last, and last!)...and i told them that too!...............oompa

• watson
    watson

Oompa! I like the "last days" line. That's a new one to me. I will definately use it!

• fokyc
    fokyc

YES ; When Sister fokyc arrives back later this evening,

I'm going to have to listen to a load of S**T rubbish about how wonderful it all was.

What Elders x, y and z had to say etc.

AND the same tomorrow morning when I bring her a cup of tea in bed

fokyc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit