The idiocy of accepting new people to the KH with no background checks!

by restrangled 27 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Just recently before the book study was cancelled, a young man started coming into my mom's home for the same. She was alarmed and asked the elders, to please have him go to the KH for the study. They ignored her worries and he continued to attend at her home. She is 76, alone and lives in a beautiful home. Up to 25 would show up each Tuesday night, this new person always attending.

He was obnoxious and what you would call over zealous. He suddenly was married to a full time pioneer by the Justice of the Peace after the bookstudy ended, and then promptly disfellowshiped along with the full time pioneer.

No one knows a thing except through a grape vine someone mentioned he is convicted felon.

I told my mom, give me his name and I'll get his background.

Sure enough through the Clerk of the county court....there were his charges....convicted over and over for distributing "Coke", serving jail time etc....not many years ago but fairly recently. He has been sued by the state for representation in court because he couldn't afford to hire his own lawyer..(ie, he was probably using too)

Still, no one in the KH gets it. The Elders certainly don't.

My mom has started writing down names of new people and having me do background checks.

I don't blame her!!!!!!!

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

and then promptly disfellowshiped along with the full time pioneer.

Now THAT would have been one interesting JC! Great point restrangled. Sitting here, I'm amazed that in my recollection (albiet brief) i don't recall anything that harsh going down at a bs ever. I do recall some wingnut who was "studying" getting all worked up at a bookstudy (at the hall) over some goodlooking sister. She sensed it and avoided him, and he made a spectacle of himself cause I think he wanted to ask her out or something...it was the weirdest thing I ever experienced.

He suddenly was married to a full time pioneer by the Justice of the Peace after the bookstudy ended.

You mean in a short amount of time right? Not literally I hope. Did you ever hear anything more beyond that? I don't blame your Mom either! It is funny what some consider to be "normal" when your on the inside. Makes me wonder about the BS arrangement being changed from a completely different angle now....

lurk3r

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Do other religions run background checks on people? Not being a smartass, it's a sincere question.

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

I know in my hall they do not in any way shape or form to know the background of someone new. We had a pedophile move in that I knew for a fact was a ture pedophile. Boy did I get HELL for knowing that. I went and got his court records and if I thought I was in HELL before it was nothing compared to what I went through after I got the records. I was dumb enough when I got them that I thought the elders would believe me. No they just got really made. Said they did not want to know this pedophiles past. Did not want to know he was even a pedophile and the hall he came from did not tell the elders either. They just want to know someone from the day the come into the hall they do not want to know anything else about a person. It truly was the eye opener I needed to know that this is not the truth.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

if he is a registered sex offender aren't there any restrictions placed upon him from the state? Should he be allowed to attend meetings?

• wizardca
    wizardca

so I joined the Catholic Church or the Baptists or (insert religion) they do a background check? i could see one having done if you become an elder, priest, pastor, etc. but not for a lay member.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I was going to mention that most churches do not do any kind of background checks either. Having a study in a home is a bit strange though. And yet, does it really matter what kind of background is found? A perfectly decent seeming person could suddenly off his entire family, and an ex con could find god and be the salt of the earth.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it's sad because if someone had bad motives, then a trusting group like a church would be ideal

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Do other religions run background checks on people? Not being a smartass, it's a sincere question.

Maybe not, but other religions usually don't meet in private homes or disfellowship people for gossip/slander when they discover a criminal in their midst. From what I've read recently, many churches do background checks on anyone who will be working with children.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It would be pointless to have tons of religious reading material available to prison inmates only to tell them they can't go to church once they're released. I believe background checks should be done when a person is considered for a position of responsibility, particularly when working with children. Personally, I don't think it's anyone's business that I got busted for smoking a joint in 1977.

That being said, I always thought meeting in someone's home was a bad idea.

Don't they still have service arrangements at former BS locations? Considering your mother's wishes were not respected, maybe she shouldn't let groups meet in her home.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit