SOLOMON'S SEAL: Pentagram or Hexagram?

by cameo-d 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Jewish tradition states that the Magen David's (Star of David, Shield of David) six sides represent the shape of the shield that David used in battle.

The Shield of David is not mentioned in ancient rabbinic literature

A popular folk tale etymologyhas it that the Star of David is literally modeled after the shield of the young Israelite warrior David, who would later become King David. In order to save metal, the shield was not made of metal but of leather spanned across the simplest metal frame that would hold the round shield: two interlocking triangles. No reliable historical evidence for this etymology exists; this theory is refuted by a credible tradition that there was a Menorah engraved upon the shield which King David used in wartime. [1]

The earliest Jewish literary source which mentions the "Shield of David" is the Eshkol Ha-Kofer by Judah Hadassi from the middle of the 12th century CE

It is also said that David used this symbol as a euphemism for god.

If this is so, then I wonder what god he was actually promoting?

It appears that this symbol was used long before David adopted it.

This symbol was used in Brahmanism 6th - 2nd century BCE and then later in Hinduism from 2nd century BCE to 4th century CE.

Satkona Yantra cut into black stone with the diagram of the Kataragama deity. It is in the Museum fur Volkerkunde, Basel.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Cameo-d thank you for the above info but you are not telling me anything that we haven't already discussed at temple. Judaism does not deny that there may have been pagan influences involved. And that fact doesn't bother me because everything we know and believe has a foundation based on the ones who came before us. Judaism also does not claim to be a Bible based religion.

If you ever get a chance, and it wouldn't frighten you too much, go to some conversion classes that are offered in your area. Certain clues posted on this board cause me to think I have an idea of where you are located. I am certain that your particular location has classes available.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

If you ever get a chance, and it wouldn't frighten you too much, go to some conversion classes that are offered in your area

You think I would make a good Jew????

• Robdar
    Robdar

I think you could be good at a lot of things. And, you obviously have an interest. I am not saying convert, only check it out. It may answer some questions you have.

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

yeah cameo would make a great anything. because of cameos ability to belive anything.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

everyday we do things that we are unconcious of. They say the average person farts like 10 or 12 times a day. Say as they will, I only count a couple...perhaps I should start taking note.

Hitler started Volkswagon. Many people who drive VW's are ignorant to this. My point is, I understand that many things around us have a 'deeper meaning' than we are aware of. Is it not possible for people to be similar thousands of years ago? "That's a cool lookin shield, I think me is gonna take that to battle". Not possible?

lurk3r

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

yeah cameo would make a great anything. because of cameos ability to belive anything.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Yantra, or sacred symbol for Bagalamukhi, the goddess of black magic and poisons.

• Prognoser
    Prognoser

cameo d, that looks like the World Trade Centre collapse within the Hexagram. Can you find out the date of that coin?

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hrumph.

The way I've heard it is this...

The hexagram is actually two triangles overlaid, which represents the sexual union of the male (triangle pointing up) with the female (triangle pointing down)...

The pubic area on females has long been represented as an inverted triangle - far into prehistory, so that connection is pretty clear...

The triangle pointing up is supposedly a phallic symbol - but at this moment I don't have time to pull any references...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit