SOLOMON'S SEAL: Pentagram or Hexagram?

by cameo-d 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

The symbol of the hexagram, the star-like figure formed by two triangles, has many connotations, especially when it is enclosed by a circle; super-natural powers have been attributed to it in many parts of the world since ancient times.

In Europe, the pentagram is usually known as King Solomon's Seal, while the hexagram is known as the Star of David; and it is often assumed that this was always the case....

However, the evidence points to the gradual evolution of the hexagram from a Roman cosmological symbol to a religious and magical symbol which was not specifically connected to one religion or people. Research suggests that both motifs were used by different religions and that the clearest meaning of the hexagram is associated with magical techniques to ward off evil forces.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/1990_1999/1999/2/King%20Solomon-s%20Seal

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I am very proud to present here a picture of a tiny six-pointed star on an ancient (probably Early Muslim) glass jar courtesy of Shlomo Moussaieff, collector of Biblical archaeology items.
    Copyright: Shlomo Moussaieff 2008
    Zoom in: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeevveez/2698379363/sizes/o/

The yantra is another product of India's indigenous, non-discursive schools of ritual magic and as such it is

intended not for merely decorative purposes but for its magical efficacy. Its etymology offers a clue to the

yantra's function and raison d'ĂȘtre. Like the similar terms mantra and tantra, it consists of a verbal root yam

('to hold') plus the suffix -tra denoting instrumentality. Hence, ya(m)-tra or yantra, 'a device that holds,' i.e.

a magical snare, trap, or container, especially one designed to hold a spirit, daimon, or god.

In this function, the yantra parallels the pervasive South Indian pattern of place-goddesses (e.g. Madurai

Meenakshi Amman or Valli Amman of Kataragama) who first attract and then 'hold' wandering gods to those

places as their husbands. In the context of Kataragama, the yantra in the holy of holies may be understood

to 'hold' or 'contain' the god of six faces or directions, much as the Ark of the Covenant was understood to

'contain' the Shekinah or 'presence' of the Holy Spirit of god Jehovah.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

[hexagram-free-masons.jpg]

excerpt (from website listed below):

Picture of a hexagram on a coin used by the Mount Sinai Royal Arch Chapter (no. 212, Toronto) sent to me by a friend who wrote that:

The symbol on the bottom right is the "Ark of the Covenant".

The bottom left is a "Keystone" which is a central stone at the summit of an arch, locking the whole together.

Top left symbol stands for "Templum Hierosolyma".

The top right "scripture".

In the middle on the right side are the Tiler's "sword" and Master Mason's trowel.

In the middle on the left side are the working tools of a Royal Arch Mason; the crow, pick ax, and spade.

In the middle is Moshe Rabbeinu with the Ten Commandments.

You will find some very interesting artifacts, both pics and documented info, at this website:

http://star-of-david.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html

• ninja
  • Robdar
    Robdar

Jewish tradition states that the Magen David's (Star of David, Shield of David) six sides represent the shape of the shield that David used in battle. It was made of a metal circle and covered with leather triangles.

The Shield of David signifies the number seven-- the six points and the center. 7 is a holy number which represents, among other things, the protection of God. And yes Cameo-d, it is used in Kabbalistic rituals.

Because of it's magical association, many Orthodox Jews reject the Magen David.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hey, the Magen David featured in the advertizement to the right of this thread looks exactly like the one I am wearing now. Cool.

• Robdar
    Robdar

BTW, Cameo-d you seem to imply that there is something wrong with rituals and the symbols associated with them. Has it occurred to you that many things fall into a gray category and it is we that make it good or evil? Much like art, the way we interpret the symbols says much more about us than it does the symbols we are talking about.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Because of it's magical association, many Orthodox Jews reject the Magen David.

The wine is pretty rank, too. Rates right up there with Boone's Farm.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

7 is a holy number which represents, among other things, the protection of God.

How so?

If this is true why are we all not wearing jersey's with the number 7 on it?

• Robdar
    Robdar

The wine is pretty rank, too. Rates right up there with Boone's Farm.

That's the truth. LOL

How so?

If this is true why are we all not wearing jersey's with the number 7 on it?

Just because you don't wear a number 7 jersey doesn't mean I dont. Don't knock it til you've tried it. LOL.

Seriously, you can look up the "magical" significance of number 7 on the internet. Since you are a pretty good writer, let's start you out here:

http://www.creativekeys.net/storytellingpower/article1058.html

I hope I wrote that address down correctly. I am at my son's apartment and cannot get the cut and past on his computer to work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit