by startingover 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• startingover
  • snowbird
    snowbird

The WT is no fool.

Sylvia

• loosie
    loosie

I have heard of it. They used to tell the sheep not to read or reasearch book son there own. Don't go to the library or you will get tired reading all the books that say that the WT is wrong.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I knew what that scripture said without looking it up because the WTS does use it about once every month in some publication that is studied. Here are some examples:

*** w07 9/1 p. 4 "Written for Our Instruction" ***TO THE making of many books there is no end." (Ecclesiastes 12:12) The glut of printed matter available today makes those words as true today as when they were written. How, then, can a discerning reader decide what deserves his attention?

*** w06 11/1 p. 16 Highlights From the Book of Ecclesiastes ***How should we view "the delightful words" that the congregator sought to find and write? In contrast with the "many books" of human wisdom, "the words of the wise ones are like oxgoads, and just like nails driven in are those indulging in collections of sentences; they have been given from one shepherd." (Ecclesiastes 12:10-12)

*** w04 12/1 p. 32 What to Read—Solomon’s Wise Advice ***"TO THE making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12) In penning those words some 3,000 years ago, wise King Solomon of Israel was not discouraging reading. Rather, he was commenting on the need to be selective.

*** w00 5/1 p. 8 par. 3 Firmly Uphold Godly Teaching ***Curiosity has long been a human trait. The dangers of wasting too much time in the pursuit of useless or even harmful information were recognized back in the days of King Solomon. He said: "Take a warning: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12) Centuries later the apostle Paul wrote to Timothy: "Guard what is laid up in trust with you, turning away from the empty speeches that violate what is holy and from the contradictions of the falsely called ‘knowledge.’ For making a show of such knowledge some have deviated from the faith." (1 Timothy 6:20, 21) Yes, Christians today need to avoid unnecessary exposure to harmful ideas.

*** w00 10/1 p. 10 par. 9 Bible Reading—Profitable and Pleasurable ***Wise King Solomon wrote: "Take a warning: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12) One might add that the reading of many books published today is not only wearisome to the flesh but, frankly, dangerous to the mind. So it is important to be selective. In addition to reading our Bible study publications, we need to read the Bible itself. The founding editor of this magazine wrote to its readers: "Never forget that the Bible is our Standard and that however God-given our helps may be they are ‘helps’ and not substitutes for the Bible." Hence, while not neglecting Bible-based publications, we need to read the Bible itself.

*** w99 11/15 p. 21 pars. 12-13 Are You Fulfilling Your Whole Obligation to God? ***

Even in the absence of modern printing methods, there were plenty of books available in Solomon’s day. How was such literature to be viewed? He said: "The words of the wise ones are like oxgoads, and just like nails driven in are those indulging in collections of sentences; they have been given from one shepherd. As regards anything besides these, my son, take a warning: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh."—Ecclesiastes 12:11, 12.

The words of those possessing godly wisdom prove to be like oxgoads. How so? They prod the readers or listeners to make advancement in harmony with the wise words read or heard. Moreover, those who occupy themselves with "collections of sentences," or truly wise and worthwhile sayings, are like "nails driven in," or solidly fixed. This may be so because the fine words of such individuals reflect Jehovah’s wisdom and can therefore serve to stabilize and support the readers or listeners. If you are a God-fearing parent, should you not make every effort to inculcate such wisdom in the mind and heart of your child?—Deuteronomy 6:4-9.

*** w97 2/15 p. 18 par. 19 "The Whole Obligation of Man" ***The Creator will not force youths or others to follow his guidance. They can immerse themselves in education, perhaps even becoming life-long students of books of human learning without number. That will eventually prove wearisome to the flesh. Or they can walk in the ways of their imperfect human heart or follow what appeals to the eyes. That will assuredly bring vexation, and a life thus spent will in time prove to be mere vanity. (Ecclesiastes 11:9–12:12; 1 John 2:15-17) So Solomon makes an appeal to youths—an appeal that we should seriously consider, whatever our age: "Remember, now, your Grand Creator in the days of your young manhood, before the calamitous days proceed to come, or the years have arrived when you will say: ‘I have no delight in them.’"—Ecclesiastes 12:1.

*** w96 2/1 p. 22 par. 4 Trust in Jehovah and His Word ***The wisdom of this world is available in abundance and from many sources. There are many institutions of learning, and "to the making of many books there is no end." (Ecclesiastes 12:12) Now the so-called information superhighway of the computer world promises to provide unlimited data on almost any subject. But having all this knowledge available does not make the world smarter or solve its problems. Rather, the world situation gets worse every day. Understandably, the Bible tells us that "the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God."—1 Corinthians 3:19, 20.

*** w96 9/1 p. 18 par. 18 The Law of the Christ ***As church laws multiplied, they were organized into books. These began to obscure and supersede the Bible. (Compare Matthew 15:3, 9.) Like Judaism, Catholicism distrusted secular writing and deemed much of it a threat. This view soon went far beyond the Bible’s sensible caution on the matter. (Ecclesiastes 12:12; Colossians 2:8) Jerome, a church writer of the fourth century C.E., exclaimed: "O Lord, if ever again I possess worldly books or read them, I have denied thee." In time, the church took to censoring books—even those on secular subjects. Thus 17th-century astronomer Galileo was censured for writing that the earth orbits the sun. The church’s insistence on being the final authority on everything—even on questions of astronomy—in the long run would work to undermine faith in the Bible.

*** yp chap. 35 pp. 283-284 Does It Matter What I Read? ***

Does It Matter What I Read?KING Solomon warned: "To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12) Solomon was not trying to discourage reading; he was just advising you to be selective.

Seventeenth-century French philosopher René Descartes said: "When one reads good books it is like having a conversation with men of breeding who lived in the past. We might even call it a selective conversation in which the author expresses only his most noble thoughts." Not all writers, though, are worth ‘conversing’ with, nor are all their thoughts really "noble."

So the oft-quoted Bible principle again comes into play: "Bad associations spoil useful habits." (1 Corinthians 15:33) Yes, the people with whom you associate can mold your personality. Have you ever spent so much time with a friend that you found yourself beginning to act, talk, and even think like your friend? Well, reading a book is like spending hours conversing with the one who wrote it.

*** km 12/05 p. 1 par. 2 Education That Leads to Life ***

Why Superior: Education is offered today by almost every means possible and on every subject imaginable. (Eccl. 12:12) But such knowledge cannot compare in value to "the magnificent things of God." (Acts 2:11)

*** km 1/99 p. 8 par. 1 Make Good Use of Older Books ***Man has stored away millions of old books in libraries in every corner of the earth. Yet, of what everlasting benefit have they been to the human race? (Eccl. 12:12) Of much greater worth are publications that focus attention on God’s Kingdom and on what it will do for mankind. Most

*** km 5/93 p. 7 par. 1 Showing Appreciation for the Literature ***To the making of many books there is no end." (Eccl. 12:12) Many books are not worth the paper they are printed on. However, that is not the case with literature published by the Watchtower Society. It is valuable because it contains lifesaving spiritual food. It helps interested ones to come to know Jehovah, and it strengthens the faith of those who are already Jehovah’s dedicated servants.

*** km 10/89 p. 8 par. 1 Presenting the Good News—With Magazines ***Ecclesiastes 12:12 observes, "To the making of many books there is no end." Those words have proved true in our day as high-speed printing presses send forth billions of pages of printed material, all vying for the attention of readers. The availability of so much printed material presents a challenge to publishers of the Kingdom good news. How can we convince individuals that TheWatchtower and Awake! are the most worthwhile magazines published today?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Another one is Zechariah 14:4 which is cross-referenced to Acts 1:11-12 in some Bibles.

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Yeah, I heard people bring it up from time to time. Always using it to say that there is an endless supply of opinion in the world.

• startingover
    startingover

I guess I listened less than I realized when I used to be involved. That scripture really hits me now as I look into the WT's past. If they didn't print so much there wouldn't be so much ammunition to shoot them down.

• abbagail
    abbagail

I remember it well from my WT days, and also felt they used it certainly often enough. I always liked that verse, too, though admittedly it never dawned on me THEN to apply it to the massive loads of WT lit. lol.

And wow to Blondie! Anybody need a reference? Blondie's got it COVERED big time.

• sacolton
    sacolton

That scripture was the WT ammo to keep people from going to college.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Notice how they always sneak selective in there when the Bible says nothing about it?

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit