Luke 21:8 and the latest 2008 WT Library

by civicsi00 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I was perusing the latest 2008 WT library and I ran a search for Luke 21:8 (one of the worst texts you could read to a JW). When I first ran the search, the library only popped up with one article from 11/1/64 WT and a reference to some book called The Kingdom of God is Nigh (published by the WT in 1944, but is not found on the CD. I did find it on the internet, though.)

I believe other people on this forum have noticed that the Society does not normally quote from Luke 21:8 for obvious reasons.

Now for the strange part:

I then typed "due time has approached" in the search engine for the WT library and I was able to find 3 more references to Luke 21:8! The WT used this text in the 10/15/90 WT, 2/15/94 WT, and even as recently in the 4/08 Awake magazine.

My question is, how is it that the search engine doesn't find these other, more recent, references? These other references clearly have "Luke 21:8" typed out next to the verse. Does the WT deliberately tamper with the WT CD search engine so you can't find certain things?

(I realize it's really late now...so I'm going to sleep...)

• marcopolo
    marcopolo

THE WTS has seen that with cd anybody can look for everything. and I think that the uncomfortable things it doesn't want that found you don't succeed in finding..they have become worse some Christianity as dark times of the middle age. them not want who we know all writings of the Bible...

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

My question is, how is it that the search engine doesn't find these other, more recent, references? These other references clearly have "Luke 21:8" typed out next to the verse. Does the WT deliberately tamper with the WT CD search engine so you can't find certain things?

Yes I've found this to be true that the society deliberately tampers with their own search engine to hide their blunders or to obscure stuff. I remember doing searches with another witness a few times and then finding what you've described.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Either the search facility isn't as good as they claim it is or they're being deliberately deceitful.

Can you paste in the content of the articles from 90, 94 and 08 please?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Interesting. I must check this out. But I would not put it past them. Its obvious that incriminating material is left out. For instance they don't put in the Life Everlasting book. Or the Awake's that spouted the 1975 nonsense. or the 1967 Awake from the RAPE thread (http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/35408/2/Watchtowers-RAPE-Policy). They cover up as much as possible.

Isaac

• blondie
    blondie

I think you are only looking at the references under "INDEX."

That NI reference is mentioned and this one

*** w64 11/1 p. 645 Wolves in Sheep’s Covering ***To his first-century disciples Jesus sounded a warning that applies to us today with even greater force: "Look out that you are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he [Christ],’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them." (Luke 21:8) He also admonished: "Be on the watch for the false prophets that come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves." (Matt. 7:15) Watchfulness and caution are therefore essential to avoid becoming prey to greedy, wolfish men.

But if you go further you will see that there are few more references but you have to sort through the Luke 21 only references. Click on the Watchtower, etc., but there always wasn't very many. It is much like the WTS chooses Matthew 24:45-47 rather than the corresponding account in Luke 12:41-44.

*** w04 3/1 p. 6 True Christianity Is Flourishing ***For instance, under inspiration the apostle Paul wrote to his fellow overseer Timothy: "There will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories." Would all Christians be misled? No. Paul continued: "You, though, keep your senses in all things, suffer evil, do the work of an evangelizer, fully accomplish your ministry." (2 Timothy 4:3-5; Luke 21:8; Acts 20:29, 30; 2 Peter 2:1-3) Timothy and other faithful Christians lived by that inspired counsel.
    *** w99 5/1 p. 9 par. 5 "These Things Must Take Place" ***Jesus foretold that there would be wars, famines, pestilences, earthquakes, hatred and persecution of Christians, false messiahs, and a widespread preaching of the good news of the Kingdom. Then the end was to come. (Matthew 24:4-14; Mark 13:5-13; Luke 21:8-19)

*** w90 10/15 p. 7 Masada—Proof That Messiah Had Come? ***Furthermore, Jesus had foretold that messianic pretenders would come, saying, "‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached,’" but he warned: "Do not go after them."—Luke 21:8.
  • truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Blondie, I found what you just posted. They include all the hyphenated citations like Luke 21:1-11, which of course say nothing about the text in question. Actually a bizzilion references pop up until you type Luke 21:8 in quotes then just the '64 reference pops up clickable. One other ni 15 (I guess that's the "Kingdom of God is Nigh" book civicsi00 refers to) shows up, which doesn't even show up in the publication list. I also checked the "due time has approached" search and sure enough at least three of those have Luke 21:8 clearly posted. Hmm...one can only wonder. They're still mealy mothed "wolves".

Isaac

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Um, there's no conspiracy here. When you search for "Luke 21:8", make sure you click on the "Search Occurrences" view. There are 315 matches through all the publications. The "Reference Works" view only shows the scriptures listed in the WT Index, I think.

I did this with the 2008 version.

• blondie
    blondie

Doc, I thought that at first, but on careful checking most are references only to Luke 21, as to the signs, and only the ones I mentioned actually comment directly on Luke 21:8.

Blondie

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Well, I'm not saying the WTS doesn't avoid talking about Luke 21:8 directly...that may very well be. But when you search for it, it does show you all occurrences that Luke 21:8 appears in publications (which like you pointed out is usually within a range of verses, not 21:8 specifically).

My point is the WTLIB does not seem to have some "block" that fudges the results when you search for Luke 21:8, which is what the OP seems to have thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit