Luke 21:8 and the latest 2008 WT Library

by civicsi00 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

w90 10/15 p.7Masada—ProofThatMessiahHadCome? Furthermore, Jesus had foretold that messianic pretenders would come, saying, “‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached,’” but he warned: “Do not go after them.”—Luke 21:8.***

w94 2/15 p.14“WhatWillBetheSignofYourPresence?” LUKE 21 8 “He said: “Look out that you are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, “I am he,” and, “The due time has approached.” Do not go after them.

g4/08 p.5TheLastDays—When? Before giving the actual sign, Jesus warned: “Look out that you are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them. Furthermore, when you hear of wars and disorders, do not be terrified. For these things must occur first, but the end does not occur immediately.”—Luke 21:8, 9.

g4/08 p.5TheLastDays—When? Before giving the actual sign, Jesus warned: “Look out that you are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them. Furthermore, when you hear of wars and disorders, do not be terrified. For these things must occur first, but the end does not occur immediately.”—Luke 21:8, 9.

((Edited to try to fix the formatting...))

Below are the 3 quotes I found. Conspiracy or not, well, I do believe the WT would intentionally hide things, even on the CD.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Just in case some viewers do not recall that particular scripture , here it is.

Luke 21 : 8

8 He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them.

You see folks even in those days there were false misleading so called prophets, the most significant difference between

those ancient false prophets and the more modern ones is the ancient ones were more intent on culling believers to position

themselves with the almighty and insert their will upon them, on the other hand the modern ones want the power too but they also want

the commercial rights to exploit Armageddon and the end times to make financial profits just like the WTS. have done.

So the marketable difference between the two should be seen as another almighty and that is this $ .

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes, but it would never enter their head that the scripture was talking about them! ..after all, they have "The Truth" , it is the others that are wrong. It is clear to the zealous dub that the scripture warns against delving into other religions "for fear that you are not misled" ..especially on the horrid internet.

So they see it as a warning to stick close to the WTS ...

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Civicsi00 makes a good point although I doubt they've tampered with the search engine part of their CD.
    I speak on behalf of the 2007 version.

Yes, if you look for 21:8 you will find some 310 instances but, by far, those are citations.

Let's take a part of that text (the part they don't like to quote), "The due time has approached". Don't forget to wrap it with those double quotes.

I get 3 hits -- the very articles he cites. To the casual observer it's obvious that they don't like that text. To the critical observer, us, it's obvious why they don't like it.

And, you must be very careful in how you string search. For example, "for many will come on the basis of my name, saying" will yield no hits. That's because of the comma. Remove the comma (I know, it's part of the text) and you will get 15 hits.

Len Miller

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I agree, BluesBrother. If you try to show them that text and point it at THEM, they won't see it. As the years go by, I can see the WT staying away from setting dates for the end, and the longer time passes, the harder it may be to prove they are false prophets (a JW could reason, "Oh that was such a long time ago, we don't set dates any more" or "it was the brothers at the time who became overzealous over a date").

Although I don't have any conclusive evidence that the WT has tampered with the search engine, I'm going to continue researching this. Does anyone remember how they tampered with their own WT Index to hide the fact that they used Greber for Biblical support? I wouldn't put it past the WT to tamper with their own CD.

• digdeeper
    digdeeper

Regardless of what any current religion's commentary is on Luke 21:8 it applies to all of them. The reason being is that this was fulfilled along with the great majority of the Greek scriptures in the 1st century. Just like most everything in this world there is a science to reading and it is called hermaneutics and applying it (especially to scripture) is of utmost importance.

If you want to understand the Greek scriptures better do the following. While reading identify who is talking, who the audience is and what are the geo-political circumstances at the time of the writing. This will make your studies more fruitful, enjoyable and less confusing.

• sir82
    sir82

Does the WT deliberately tamper with the WT CD search engine so you can't find certain things?

I think so.

There's a QFR from 1957 or so, dealing with a question regarding an anointed JW (!) who took a blood transfusion. What should the congregation do?

The answer was that the congregation should just leave him alone. At the time, blood transfusions were frowned upon, but not a DF offense (they were officially banned in 1961). And of course there are 20 bajillion "scriptural reasons" why that answer is correct.

You can enter any combination of words you want, and the CD's search process will never find that article. You just have to know where it is, look up that WT, and find the article by paging through it.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

This was one of the verses that blew my wife's mind and started her speedy exit from the WTS.

• oompa
    oompa

Homerovah...what are trying to pull here?!?!....you gotta quote from the only REAL bible in the world....THE NWT....here it is below.....and it only says the "due time has approached".....and not "the end is near"........even your quote says "the time is near"....so they do have a bit of wiggle room...and ya...they will take it....oompa

(Luke

21:7-8) . . ." 8 He said: "Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ . . .

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    You can enter any combination of words you want, and the CD's search process will never find that article.

I just searched for "anointed blood transfusion" (without the quotes) and it came up. 1958 Watchtower, Questions from Readers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit