Have any of you just handed the book COC to a jw friend or relative?

by cawshun 41 Replies latest jw friends

• cawshun
    cawshun

B_Deserter, That's good to hear, but your friend was disfellowshiped for 9 yrs. That helps, he was more out then in, but still the book released him from beliving in the lie.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I handed the book to 2 witnesses one read it and left the other didn't read it at all and is still in.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I had one mailed anonymously to my parents years ago. Much later, when I called them, my dad asked if I'd sent that Apostate Book. I asked what was it about? He said..."I don't know, we didn't read it, we just threw it away." I said, "then how'd you know it was an apostate book?" He said.."nevermind."

lisa

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

lol lisa.

You've reminded me. I actually threw away my first copy of COC (in case somebody found it and the guilt) and then a few months later ordered another and covered it in some nice innocent looking paper.

• cawshun
    cawshun

quietlyleaving, if you threw away the first copy of COC, and a few months later ordered it and read it, what made you want to read it? The fact that your were told not to read it, or just plain couriosity?

• JustWantTruth
    JustWantTruth

Just about two weeks ago I had two copies sent to my cousins. They have both agreed to read it, but I am not sure if they have started it yet. One Dissassociated in 2007 and the other got disfellowshiped last year. However, not because they disagreed with the org. They still believe that it is the "Truth" I am hoping they can really see the truth, so at least they can stop feeling so guilty about stuff.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Cawshun, I hope it goes well for you. Your son-in-law does sound like a pretty open-minded fellow. Still, brace yourself for some type of (potential) fallout. This way, if it happens, it won't hurt as bad.

My best friend shut me down, mid-sentence, as I tried to explain a simple point about blood. I was his Best Man in his wedding. He's completely disowned me.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE MIND CONTROL.

On another thread this month, we discussed how LIBERAL cult members can MORE difficult to reach, as the cult is not negatively impacting their lifestyle. You may also recall the recent post about the lion in the cage. Unless he feels the "pain" of being in the cage, he won't walk out into freedom. A liber JW may feel no "pain" and therefore be less likely to walk out into freedom.

Quite maddening, all of it.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

quietlyleaving, if you threw away the first copy of COC, and a few months later ordered it and read it, what made you want to read it? The fact that your were told not to read it, or just plain couriosity?

thats a good question cawshun as I now have lots of anti witness books openly displayed.

I think I had to find another faith while questioning my JW beliefs and to work up the courage. Ray Franz really understands how a witness mind works and I was intrigued that he'd written another book "In Search of Christian Freedom". I ordered that book too which I then read at the same time as COC.

• cawshun
    cawshun

leavingthewt, wow, you make a good point, never thought of it that way, not feeling the pain enough to question or doubt. It is maddening!

• cawshun
    cawshun

quietlyleaving, I also read "In Search of Christian Freedom" I would like to give him that book too, but only if he accepts COC and reads it. One book at a time, I just hope he reads the first one then go from there.

I am not planning on doing this till school lets out, over the summer vacation when he could find the time to read it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit