Is DISFELLOWSHIPPING being phased out?

by african GB Member 47 Replies latest jw friends

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

I have an ELDER friend who is 'open-minded', so to say...he tells me what gets discussed at ELDER meetings, even though he does'nt give too much detail.

He says that they were instructed by the SOCIETY not to HURRY Df'ing publishers, that they should try to REPROOF (1 TIMOTHY 3: 16,17) a sinner,,..that they should be a little considerate bearingf in mind that we are living in critical times of the END.

Personally I know a few PUBLISHERS(baptized or not) who now have children out of wedlock, and they were just "marked" or had PRIVILEGES taken away....

The reason given is: "THEY REALISED THAT THEY HAVE SINNED, AND THEY ARE FULLY REPENTED, THEY GAVE ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO JC THAT THEY WANT TO BE KNOWN AS JW's"

Now my question is : Are they slowly doing away with the Df'ing doctrine?

african GB member

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

It wouldn't surprise me if they lightened up on it, phasing it out, I doubt it. They are business and they are trying to retain members, members=$$. No attendance no $$.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Actions speak louder than words. I'll believe it when I see it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

No way !

Periodic reminders to show mercy, where due, are part of the scene..

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

JWs say that DF'ing is Biblical. How could they possibly defy Scripture? They are, afterall, the only true religion that follows the Bible.

• sir82
    sir82

IMHO: No way.

It is their trump card. It enables them to control the masses, and it is this control that they are drunk on and addicted to.

No DF --> loss of control --> loss of power & prestige.

And that ain't gonna happen with this bunch.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think it is a distinct possibility. But for legal reasons not out of the kindness of their heart.

Everything is driven by legal considerations these days. If the lawyers can get rid of the Book Study they can get rid of disfellowshipping.

I wonder if the Witnesses got rid of disfellowshipping if the ex-JW community would disintegrate. It seems to be what keeps many former Witnesses together in a certain sense - the common experience, the shared sense of injustice. If disfellowshipping is done away with, I wonder if people who walk away would be less inclined to see the need to come together for support. It stands to reason. JWs might just become like any other religion and former members would not need to feel so bitter. Apostate websites would decrease in number and intensity.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    IMHO: No way.
    It is their trump card. It enables them to control the masses, and it is this control that they are drunk on and addicted to.
    No DF --> loss of control --> loss of power & prestige.
    And that ain't gonna happen with this bunch.

I am saying the lawyers might convince them they need to get rid of it. I am not saying they are going to like it though!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

How many ex-JWs would show up for the Watchtower Study, discussing the change?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I guess the real question is not whether or not they cease the official disfellowshipping, with an ANNOUNCEMENT, but whether SHUNNING would be done away with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit